Start by marking “Giraffe Goes to Paris, A” as Want to Read:
Giraffe Goes to Paris, A

Giraffe Goes to Paris, A

A giraffe causes a sensation when he walks 5 miles to Paris
Published April 1st 2010 by Two Lions (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Giraffe Goes to Paris, A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giraffe Goes to Paris, A

Margo Tanenbaum
This charming picture book tells the true story of Belle, a giraffe presented by the great pasha of Egypt to the king of France, Charles X, as narrated by Atir, her Egyptian caretaker. But how to transport a giraffe all the way from Egypt to Paris? First, she had to be transported down the Nile along with her entourage of three cows (to produce milk for her to drink) and two antelopes (to keep her company). Then, a special hole had to be constructed in the deck of the ship, so Belle could be ...more
Rebecca
Mar 17, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Kate Hastings
Did you know that in 1827, the Pasha of Egypt gave a gift to the King of France -- a live giraffe named Belle? And that this giraffe's keeper helped her get sailed down the Nile (complete with a hole cut in the boat for her neck), land in Marseilles, and WALK across the French countryside to Paris (an 8-week journey that included specially-made walking boots for Belle and a crew of men, cows, and antelope)? What a story! Her attendant, Atir, who tells this story, was a real person, but his ...more
Mary Birky Collier
Level: Primary
Rationale: Giraffes are prominent on Natalie’s interest inventory. She mentions them at least twice, and in the space for places she’s like to take a trip to, Paris is the first on her list. So this book seemed an awesome combination of two of Natalie’s favorite subjects. Besides artistic illustrations, the book includes some cool educational elements, including comparing the narrator’s home city/country of Alexandria, Egypt, and their trip destination of Paris, France.
Hook: Natali
Nicole
Nov 02, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: 520historicalfic
This book, based on a true story in 1827, tells the tale of a giraffe named Belle. She was a present from the pasha of Egypt to the king of France. The story was told by Atir, Belle's caretaker throughout the journey. The story takes you through how they started their journey on a ship and finished by telling how they walked all the way from Marseille to Paris in eight weeks. When they finally got to Paris everyone was in awe of Belle, as they had never seen a giraffe before.

This story has some
Mark
May 12, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Imagine a giraffe who can sail from Alexandria, Egypt, to Marseille, France, in a boat with a special hole cut for her neck.

Imagine a giraffe who can walk 500 miles from Marseille to Paris in forty-one days, wearing stylish boots and a caper.

Imagine a giraffe who captures the attention of a hundred thousand spectators in Paris as she parades through the city.

Imagine Belle, a gift from the pasha of Egypt to the king of France in 1827, a giraffe who made history.

This book presents Belle's story, t
Jillian
Jan 02, 2014 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytimes, programs
I really enjoyed this book - I was a French minor in college, and in all our studies of history and culture, somehow I never heard this story!
Fast forward several years, and I discovered it while looking for storytime ideas.
It's not really suitable for a storytime, but instead I may end up making a whole program about it! Learn a little about France, about Egypt, about giraffes, and - most importantly - challenge the kids to walk every day and keep track of their distance, and see if they can r
Kate Hastings
Nov 09, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommended for Grades 2-6. A nice slice of history-- Belle the giraffe was a gift from the Pasha of Egypt to the King of France back in 1826. It was quite a fete to bring a giraffe that far-- it took three cows to feed her milk and a couple of antelope to keep her company. When she arrived-- she was an instant celebrity! I now understand the reason behind all the giraffe art of that time period!
Joy
This was a fascinating short book about the true story of Belle, a giraffe sent to the king of France as a gift from the King of Egypt. Can you imagine the sensation caused by a giraffe, sailing across the Mediterranean and walking through France (there was no other way to get her there!) on her way to Paris with her handlers? A great book to inform and stir the imagination, as she certainly did for the Parisians, and the entire continent, who had never seen a giraffe before.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about a giraffe named belle. She went to Paris and visited many different places over there. She met the countess and the king and ate rose petals from their hands. The owner and Belle liked the moonlight and they spend a lot of time outside watching it. Paris was excited to see Belle and they prepared the city by making many souvenirs of her. This is good for IMMIGRATION.
Dee
Nov 20, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dee by: Kathy
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought I had already read this book but there must be a similiar one out there. I am going to look through my shelves. Very cute book and a great story about a giraffe who travels from Egypt to Paris with a little help from his friends. I looked it up and there is another story called Zarafa the Girafffe Who Walked to the King.
Trisha Hope
Jan 30, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing
Until reading this book I never had heard of Egypt giving France a giraffe. I am sure like in the story it was very difficult to transport a giraffe during that time in history. Although with each day more and more people were able to be apart of Belle's story because they got to travel and see her. Belle was beloved by many especially Atir. Her story is an amazing one!
Maren Prestegaard
Cool true story about a giraffe that travels from Egypt to Paris as a gift to Charles X. Would love to read this book again when little M is in elementary. Little bits of history and culture hiding in this book.
Robin
Nov 02, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
The story of Belle, the giraffe who was given by the pasha of Egypt to the king of France in 1827 and was the first giraffe ever seen in France. Narrated by Atir, Belle's Sudanese caretaker, who stays with her for 18 years in Paris's Jardin des Plantes. Appealing story and illustrations.
May 11, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-animals, srp-2011
This is a very charming story of a giraffe given as a gift to the king of France, and brought by various means to Paris in the early 19th century. It is actually a quite nice book for the Summer Reading Program about traveling and seeing the world.
Apr 14, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book for children who love reading about animals, other countries, and languages. There are colorful illustrations with snippets of actual ticket stubs and illustrations from the event.
Melanie Rightmyer
Jul 17, 2016 Melanie Rightmyer rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really like the story of Belle the giraffe but I only gave this book 3 stars because we don't love it as a read aloud. I think other authors have written about Belle and I would be curious to see if the format of their books makes for a more enjoyable read aloud.
Elizabeth
Jun 08, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
What a great and interesting book! We read this for a bedtime story, then had to go back and look at all the pictures again. True story of a gift given to the king of France and includes lots of 1800s pictures.
Megan
Apr 23, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
It's a sweet little story that introduced me to something I knew nothing about. I love the focus on Atir, his handler.
Catherine
Oct 12, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A heartwarming animal story with lots of French charm. More for a booktalk than a read-aloud. 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade.
Amber Lund
Aug 26, 2016 Amber Lund rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wish they put the pronunciations at the front of the book so I wouldn't stumble over the French words! But other than that, it was a fun book.
Natalie
Jun 17, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Oh, if you like Maira Kalman's books, you might like this account of a giraffe who walked 500 miles to Paris in a lovely pair of red boots circa 1827.
Eileen Carter
Nov 15, 2015 Eileen Carter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Would not recommend

This is not what I would consider a children's book. Too small of print, too difficult of words for children to easily read
Briony
Briony rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2010
Savannah
Savannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Boni
Boni rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2010
Mary Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2010
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Zandria
Zandria rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016