Start by marking “What About Bear?” as Want to Read:
What About Bear?

What About Bear? (Goose and Bear Stories)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Who will fix the friendship? It's playtime and Bear and Goose are having fun. Then Little Fox joins in and somebody gets left out. Sound familiar? The dilemma of choosing one friend over another is one of childhood's classic problems. Someone's feelings are bound to get hurt. But as this gentle story shows, the solution lies in including friends, not excluding them. As in ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Boyds Mills Press (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What About Bear?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What About Bear?

I like how much Bloom lets her pictures convey rather than trying to fit it all into the text...for instance: Fox (dear, dear, VERY YOUNG Fox) after realizing she has hurt Bear's feelings, looking sheepish and ashamed through her tail when Goose asks, "Do you want to play with us?" So many good questions to ask throughout: How does Bear feel? Why does Fox want to play different games? What is Goose trying to do? Great conversations to have to start that process of exploring emotions and other po ...more
Christine Clayton
Sometimes when we play in our center areas other friends play with us. I have a story to read to you today about two friends that were playing and a third friend wants to join in. What do you do when another friend wants to join in with you? (Student response)Let’s see what happens when Fox joins Bear and Duck in What about Bear by Suzanne Bloom.

Moves Used:
Prompt brief sharing of personal experiences related to the topic or theme
Foreshadow the problem of the story
Invite personal conn
Bear and Goose, splendid friends make a new friend in fox in this one. Fox wants to play games that bear can't participate in, until Goose makes sure to include him to. A great story of inclusion, while paying homage to common feelings and actions experienced by all.
Taylor Troncin
I was not overly enthused about this book. While it does have an important lesson about sharing and friendship, I cannot help but feel a little let down.
Simple story about friendship, play, and inclusion made even more enjoyable by Bloom's unique illustrations.
Hannah Givens
The art on Little Fox is adorable, and I love that Bear is Goose's "big, old, sometimes grumpy friend."
Bear are goose are playing with a little fox wants to join, but he keeps changing games and leaving bear out. Goose draws the line saying bear is his friend and he wants to play. When they ask the fox to play, he says yes again and they find a game that all 3 friends can enjoy.

I thought this was a nice, simple expression of what can happen when three friends are playing together. It's not fun to be left out and everyone is happy when they can all play together.
Suzanne Bloom's art always gets me - I love the warmth of her pictures. Bear and Duck from "A Splendid Friend, Indeed" are back, this time with a new friend, Fox. Like so often happens when three friends get together, one is left out, and the three have to find a way to make sure no one feels lonely. Great for an early education classroom. Make sure you have pastels on hand after reading - you'll want to make your own art.
Good concept of sharing friends and including others but executed as well as at it could be.
Anjali Derhgawen
This story is about making new friends while keeping the old ones too. Bear and the duck are already friends and then a fox comes in with games that Bear cannot play and Bear feels left out, so they end up playing a game that all of them are able to play. It sends a message to the reader that it is good to let all people into your group and to be fair.
In this classic tale of friendship, Fox wants to play with Bear and Goose. All is well until disagreement arises as to what they should play. This book goes through phases, illustrating the catch phrase "two's company, three's a crowd." But in the end, "the more the merrier" wins out! The illustrations are cute and add to the text of the story.
Love the friendship stories of Suzanne Bloom. This is a great PreK-K book for a read aloud session. Heck, I'd read all the bear, goose, fox stories at once. They are great discussion starters and the illustrations are simply charming.
I didn't love this like I LOVE a Splendid friend indeed. Perhaps I'm having a hard time looking at it as a stand alone. However, I think preschool teachers might enjoy it as a read aloud (also parents of three or more kids).
Kelsey Yates
A good book for discussion. Fox asks to play and then wants to play games that exclude bear. Adorable pictures. I usually change "I want" in the dialogue to something else since I discourage the phrase at home.
Library Quine
Two's a party, three's a crowd. The story with minimal text addresses the problems that occur when three children, or animals, it get together and the previous equilibrium is upset.
Two old couple friends enjoy each other's company when a new friend joins in to play he forgets about bear. Learn how to solve problems when a new friend joins in the play with old friends.
More about including everyone to play together with bear and goose who are old friends and fox who is a "new" friend. Good story for children who feel excluded from play groups.
Oct 16, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Friendship and inclusion requests
Recommended to June by: Polly
Fox wants to play with Bear and Goose, but the games Fox suggests leave out Bear. Can they find a game all 3 can play? Might try this next time I do a friendship story time.
Sweet book and pretty illustrations. Nice for younger kids who are learning about friendships and how to not leave people feeling left out.
J.F. Sanborn
Suzanne Bloom's books about Bear and his little friend are heartwarmingly illustrated, and teach lessons about friendship and kindness.
The Library Lady
Attractive art. Bibliotheraputic story line has little snap, and sorry, this is NOT going to cure your child's friendship triangle blues.
I just love Bear and Goose from _A Splendid Friend, Indeed_. Here's another nice story, illustrating "the more, the merrier".
Sarah Stephens
This is a great book for kids to learn how to take turns, share and have new friends. I love this book and so did our little one!
Lovely illustrations and a simple story invite readers into a lesson on what it means to really be a friend.
I really liked the illustrations, and loved the few pages where fox is sad and hides behind his tail.
Read with "What if" by Seeger. Both have same message. Don't think either is particularly well done.
Cute story about friendship.
I love these two friends.
Sweet friendship book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goose and Bear Stories (6 books)
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed