Start by marking “Spitting Off Tall Buildings” as Want to Read:
Spitting Off Tall Buildings

Spitting Off Tall Buildings (Bruno Dante #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Bruno Dante has fled Los Angeles for New York City. With its cold, hard edge, it's his kind of town. . . . But the string of deadbeat temporary telemarketing gigs is getting to Bruno and the steady work he can stand is hard to come by. Bruno's trying everything: hotel night manager, window cleaner, and cab driver, all the while punctuating his unsatisfying employment exper ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Spitting Off Tall Buildings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spitting Off Tall Buildings

Stephen Platt
Seemed unfinished, like it ended mid-sentence. Was it a hurried end to get the book out, or just some high-brow literary nonsense? Fante (Father and Son), Bukowski, Raymond Carver, Thompson, Palahniuk, Neilan, Pollock, Ellis, O'Connor, et. al., if I may lump them together (and probably a few I left out) are sort of like authors of harlequins for men. Cause the characters are the tough guys men always wanted to be ... a thorough binge of testosterone, loveless anti-heroes, and literary licensure ...more
Joseph
This book had a very familiar feel to it's writing style. Very obviously trying not to follow in the footsteps of his father, I felt like I was reading something pulled out of the mind of a less deranged, but equally drunk Charles Bukowski, which is incredibly appropriate as John Fante inspired Charles a great deal.

The story itself was well thought out, cleverly strung together by what I would assume are several journal entries, or thoughts drunkenly scribbled on dirty wet bar napkins at the tai
Oliver
Im glad i discovered this book and Dan. Better than his old man, in my opinion..i will next read mooch and chump change.
Stop
Read the STOP SMILING interview with author Dan Fante

Q&A: Dan Fante
By Anthony Reynolds

Novelist, playwright and poet Dan Fante is the second son of John Fante.
He is well regarded in Europe and his novels include Mooch, Chump Change and Spitting off Tall Buildings

Stop Smiling: As both a novelist and a screenwriter, what are the main similarities between the processes? And what are the major differences?

Dan Fante: I don't mean to be overly unkind here, but screenwriting is a process quite unlik
Andrea Mullarkey
At the end of Chump Change I wondered if Fante would be able to keep up the pace for 3 more semi-autobiographical novels. I also wondered whether I could keep up if in fact he did. Now having read them in close succession I can say that he’s kept it interesting without wearing me out. Bruno Dante continues to be a serial juicer with a masochistic edge and a deep dislike of people. With women, his relationships (if they can be called that) are cruel and dehumanizing, almost as bad as the jobs he ...more
Josie Boyce
Closer to 3.75 compared to the first two semi autos that Fante has done. This one was for my taste a bit less of a gross out fest( in a good way in the first two) as Dante is back in nyc, after his LA adventures. Lots of wacky jobs give it a down and out in London and Paris vibe. Bruno is almost a functioning human being by the end of the book. Can't wait to see how he mucks that up in the next one.
Mike
About fifteen years ago a friend gave me a book by John Fante and told me to read it. I opened the book and the words jumped off the page. The next day I went to the library and checked out every book I could find that was written by John Fante.

Flash forward to 2010...Nostalgically haunting the stacks of the Portland Public Library, I notice another Fante in the F section (Remember Arturo Bandini: "make room for me boys, right here in the B's"). I was intrigued. By virtue of his pedigree, I gav
MC Bobby Mike
A very goofy book about author-avatar Bruno Dante who can't deal with the fact that he's homosexual/bi-curious, so he spits off of tall buildings and gets into fights.

Look, Bruno, it's not that bad. If you like dick, then you like dick. No need to get a bug up your butt about it.

The book ends with a wonderfully ridiculous scene in which (view spoiler)
Manheim Wagner
Succint and lean prose that reads more like Bukowski than his father, Dan Fante writes about shitty jobs and demons with an honest voice. This book is at its best when Fante rants about people and shitty situations.
Alex Rogers
Interesting. Very well written, prose is simple, clear, immediate, and the story compelling. Just didn't like the main character much, have read too much about alcoholic losers and hate the feeling of inevitable doom that accompanies these stories. I believe much of this is autobiographical, which makes it harder to a degree. Worthwhile reading if you like hard edged masculine writing
Josh Barlas
Man, Dan Fante is an asshole, but he's a brilliant writer and an engaging story teller. Even the moments of redemption in this novel are grim, and I love it. It's gritty autobiographical fiction about an asshole drunk (GAFAAD) - if that description makes you cringe, the book is not for you. If, on the other hand, you enjoy the GAFAAD genre, this is a superb rendering.
Wendy
good, really good. but i needed more. comparison to bukowski is a given. everything's developed and the story has texture and all but - well, like you could blow through this on an airplane ... know what i mean? probably end up drunk by the last page though. in the same breath, can't wait to read more.
Natosha
I liked the writing style, and it was definitely interesting to watch the main character self-destruct, but there was no context....it was hard to empathize with him because the author gives NO background information to help readers care about him.
Isabel
Not my usual kind of fiction, I read it not knowing the summary, it lasted a few hours, was quickly read and kept me interested, wondering if the main character would end up dead or survive. I liked it. Enough to be sad to reach the end.
Andrew
Not bad. Pretty short though. I wanted the story to continue, but I suppose the ending was well enough. Dante's character is pretty relate-able, though more in a "we all think it, but he actually acts on it" kind of way
Renaud
Deuxième titre de la saga Dante, après Los Angeles nous voici à New York. Moins poignant que le premier volume le livre se lit cependant très facilement, même en VO, et c'est avec plaisir que j’enchaînerais sur les autres !
Matt
I've long admired John Fante, and I've known that his son wrote for a while, but actually reading this stuff is hitting the spot in a way I never expected. I'm devouring this stuff...
Robert Clancy
Another fantastic Fante descent into the underworld of New York and LA.
andy
fun. appropriately titled. dante back in new york. a bit gross.
Erin Beck
Dan writes just like his father and that's a good thing.
Lapetitesteph
Digne de son père.
Rich Mainville Jr.
Rich Mainville Jr. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Clara Triboul
Clara Triboul marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Nate Stroh
Nate Stroh marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sue
Sue is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Bacchus Saint Angelo
Bacchus Saint Angelo marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
  • Hades
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Written in Time
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Conflict of Empires

Bruno Dante (4 books)
  • Chump Change
  • Mooch
  • 86'd
Chump Change 86'd Mooch Fante Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets