Start by marking “The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love

The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When a relationship ends, the anguish and disappointment can be devastating. A broken heart is genuinely traumatic. Typical recommendations to keep busy, move on, repair your hidden flaws, and then forget about it may not be helpful. In these pages, Susan Piver reveals that heartbreak actually creates an opportunity for genuine emotional and spiritual transformation, enabl ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Atria Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of a Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of a Broken Heart

Barry Graham
Imagine if Pema Chodron was someone you could meet in a bar and drink margaritas with, and you'll have some idea of the content of this book. Piver's advice is kind and smart, with vast patience for human sadness but no time for nonsense.

I've written before about the value of heartbreak, so I'm glad to see an entire book on the subject. Piver offers no easy answers, but realistic instruction for practice, and, while her tone is breezy, warm and humorous, she doesn't pretend that there is any esc
Christina
Oct 07, 2013 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Rosie
Really helpful. Gentle, but not enabling. Piver presents heartbreak as an opportunity — “If you acknowledge the dark night and open to it, it will teach you extraordinary lessons about who you are and what your life is about.” I like that she gives philosophy and spirituality but also practical, what to do right-in-this-instant advice. Highly recommended.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Quite possibly the best written book on the subject of heartbreak ive ever read. Piver nails the descriptions in such a way you suddenly dont feel nearly as embarrassed as you did for the last year. Or two. She sympathizes, and its a real sympathy from someone who has been as hurt as deeply you have. You realize its ok, and it will be okay. And she tosses you ladders and escape maps to help you through. But remember, the only way out is through, you have to work through the emotions or they will ...more
Elizabeth
Amazingly practical advice that helps with the day to day, moment to moment consequences of being in that kind of pain. Good combination of the abstract with actual simple and approachable exercises to make living with heartbreak more bearable and at least give it some purpose.

I agree with her that being broken in this way does open one's heart to being able to love more deeply--- even romantic heartbreak and working through these exercises helped me to feel greater connected to my young childr
Elizabeth Black
Still reeling from a broken heart, I found this book tremendously helpful. Though, I'd never wish this on anyone, Ms. Piver explains how can it actually be a good thing and that there are gifts to be gained from such a painful experience. The first time through, and I've already got the book all highlighted, underlined, and dog-eared. I'm sure I will continue to reference it throughout my healing process. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that some of the exercises are kind of hokey, but ...more
Jessica
This book offers exercises and a fresh perspective on the pain of heartbreak. The tone was gentle and consoling but not patronizing. Although there is no "instant solution" to heartbreak, this is one book that makes the journey a little easier to bear.

It is true that going through this sort of pain opens my heart to feel all sorts of other pain and to be more compassionate. One day, I saw my very young cousin suffering an unwarranted angry outburst from her father and it felt like my heart broke
Jenny
A great read if you're going through tough stuff around a break-up. I've revisited this at several points in my life, and it always provides comfort. Many references back to Shambhala, which is what led me to that "master" book in the first place...if you're checking those two out, also get "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron.
Lorna squires
This one of the best books I have ever read! One of my favourite authors -Susan Piver has a way of resonating with every meaningful thought a human being could have, and finds the precise words to describe it better than anyone I know! Highly recommend any of her books.
Misty
Helpful exercises and good things to think about. Focuses on meditation as a tool to move beyond the heartache. Really enjoyed this book and now I am reading, "How Not to be Afraid of Your Own Life" (also by Susan Piver).
Peter
Some great ideas in here. So many people experience this at some point. Piver offers useful methods for working through it. I related. You might too. If you follow through, you'll need a fireproof bowl.
Robbin
I just started this book and already find it wonderful. I hope it makes my broken heart worth it.

Loved this book - it was very helpful to me and was written wonderfully.
Cathy
I liked this a lot. She really "gets" it. She's compassionate, has good exercises based in her Buddhist practice that really help. Highly recommend this.
Goddess
This book was like a cup of warm tea on a cold cold winter day. I highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with heartbreak, it will change your life.
Tiffany Bowens
Fabulous, honest book that's totally on point about the stuff we go through when we get our hearts broken and how to be compassionate and help ourselves.
Mia
Apr 21, 2012 Mia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for this book to be available in the library!!! Good reviews and sounds like a good book for me. I can't wait.
Erika
Excellent book on healing from heartbreak new and old through meditation.
Bobby
This is more or less a "How to" guide in healing a broken heart.
Sonia
Smart, thoughtful and empowering.
Jeanie
The name says it all. Fabulous book. If you are still thinking about a past love, unable to move on, please read this book.
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tanvir Ahmed
Tanvir Ahmed marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Mai
Mai marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Srabani Naskar
Srabani Naskar marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • How to Survive the Loss of a Love
  • Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • How the Swans Came to the Lake
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Sanity We Are Born With: A Buddhist Approach to Psychology
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You
  • Men Who Can't Love: How to Recognize a Commitment Phobic Man Before He Breaks Your Heart
  • Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
  • The Circle of Simplicity: Return to the Good Life
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
Author of "The Wisdom of a Broken Heart," "How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life" (winner of Books for a Better Life's best spiritual book of 2007), and the NY Times best seller, "The Hard Questions: 100 Essential Questions to Ask Before You Say 'I Do'".

My next book is "Start Here Now: An Open Hearted Guide to the Path and Practice of Meditation" will be published in September 2015.

I'm extremely i
More about Susan Piver...
How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life: Opening Your Heart to Confidence, Intimacy, and Joy Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation The Hard Questions: 100 Essential Questions to Ask Before You Say "I Do" The Hard Questions The Hard Questions for an Authentic Life: 100 Essential Questions for Tapping into Your Inner Wisdom