Start by marking “The Other Side (includes In Death, #31.5)” as Want to Read:
The Other Side (includes In Death, #31.5)

The Other Side (In Death #31.5)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,736 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Five New York Times bestselling authors cross over to a realm where suspense, desire, and love have no bounds.

J.D. Robb: Lieutenant Eve Dallas has always sought justice for the dead, but now, a victim will seek her own vengeance-through Eve.

Mary Blayney: An earl and his countess struggle to understand one another, until they spend a day in each other's shoes-and bodies.
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by Jove (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Kathy Davie
Nov 08, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read October 1, 2011.

Five short stories in this anthology that revolve around the theme of The Other Side of life.

Series:
"Possession in Death (In Death, 31.5)
"Other Side of the Coin" (Poppy's Coin, 4)

The Stories
J. D. Robb's "Possession in Death" finds Dallas possessed when an old gypsy, Gizi Szabo, who has come to NYC to look for her missing great-granddaughter, Beata, is murdered. Determined, Madam Szabo slides her essence into Dallas, the Warrior, and gains her Promise to find Beata. A s
Gizella Tóth
Nov 25, 2014 Gizella Tóth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elsősorban persze Robbért olvasom ezeket a könyveket, és benne még nem csalódtam. Mondjuk, nem ártott volna, ha a ferdítő megkérdez valaki oroszul tudót (pl. engem:))), mert az orosz átírás... hm, felejtsük el. :)
Kellemes meglepetés, hogy a többi novella is tetszett. Ahol a szülők... Istenem, le merhetem egyáltalán írni, anélkül spoilerért megköveznének??? - szóval az különösen tetszett.
Egyetlen egy dolog miatt tipródom nagyon, hogy szóvá tegyem-e a GB fórumán.
- ... elvégre te fiad is, uram - ha
E.
Jan 10, 2011 E. rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
J.D. Robb Possession in Death picks up right after Indulgence in Death. Eve holds the promised BBQ for her wide variety of friends and colleagues but gets entangled in the murder investigation of a woman who confers arcane powers to the pragmatic lieutenant. Another lovely addition to the series.

Mary Blayney The Other Side of the Coin: A coin grants ill-considered wishes and allows an earl and his wife to experience each other's lives from within their bodies. Hilarious complications.

Patricia Ga
Lynda Tatad
Dec 29, 2011 Lynda Tatad rated it liked it
I always enjoy the anthologies featuring these authors!

"Possession in Death" by JD Robb has an old Gypsy woman helping Lt. Eve Dallas in a unique way to find her missing granddaughter.

"The Other Side of the Coin" by Mary Blanely brings back the magical wish granting coin, and this time has an earl and his countess learning about what each other does when they trade bodies.

"The Dancing Ghost" by Patricia Gaffney brings together a ghost hunter with a young woman wanting to prove her ancestral
Kristi
I apologize for the lateness of this review. I actually read it March 14 to March 15, but misplaced the paper I was reviewing each individual story on.

3.2 stars average for all 5 stories combined.

Possession in Death by JD Robb: 4 stars. I always enjoy JD Robb. I especially enjoyed seeing Eve try to cope with things that are out of her element. She's such a strong character, that to see her fumble with this ghost, even just a bit, had its humourous moments.

The Other Side of the Coin by Mary Bl
Izlinda
I checked out this book essentially for J.D. Robb's short story about Eve Dallas. I read the short story on December 21st, then put the book aside to concentrate on other library books. I found the Eve Dallas story a quick read, though I'm glad it's a short story. While the full-length novels have dabbled in psychic phenomenon a little (with Iris and sensitives and all), I'm glad the more heavy-duty paranormal things aren't set in full-novel length, since it seems a departure from the usual Eve ...more
Linda Munro
Feb 11, 2011 Linda Munro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five short stories concerning the supernatural. The first: J.D. Robb's 'Possession in death' In the year 2060, as Lieutenant Eve Dallas is driving the local Priest hone she sees nothing but an old Russian 'Gypsy' women, stabbed and bleeding, stubling down the street. The Gypsy's soul possesses Eve, allowing her to see the dead, but what about the living who are trapped? Will Eve ever be the same again? Can Roark help her? Wonderful story!
Second: Mary Blayney's "The other side of the coin:' Watch
Jackie
Oct 30, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Book Synopsis

Patricia Gaffney: To prove her ancestral home is haunted, a woman hires a spirit investigator, but they end up
Nurshafiqa
Jul 06, 2011 Nurshafiqa rated it liked it
i'll be doing mini reviews on each story instead of one whole giant mash just because:

possession in death by j.d robb = started off quite annoyingly, with too much characters. the whole "i am the promise, you are the warrior," thing also made me cringe. eve dallas was also someone i would very much NOT like. all that aside, the story as a whole was quite solid. reminds me of black swan, one of my favorite movies.

the other side of the coin by mary blayney = amusing read. not really believable (se
Maura
Wayland Smith
Mar 22, 2015 Wayland Smith rated it liked it
As with most, probably, I read this mostly for the JD Robb/Eve Dallas story. This one is just after one of the big novels (Indulgence in Death, I believe) and shows the promised BBQ for the cast. Of course, Eve can't just enjoy the party, but gets involved in a new case. This one is a bit different, as Eve gets help from a Gypsy woman with strange powers.

"The Other Side of the Coin" is another in a series of short stories about a wish-granting magic coin. In this one, a man and a woman switch b
OpenBookSociety.com
Oct 17, 2014 OpenBookSociety.com rated it liked it
Shelves: heidi

The Other Side
By Multiple Authors (see below breakdowns for author’s and websites)
ISBN# 9780515148671
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

The Other Side is an anthology of five different stories by five different New York Times bestselling authors. The stories all centering around the paranormal and strange.

3 Star rating
Possession in Death
In Death, Book #31.5
By J.D. Robb
Author’s Website: http://www.jdrobb.com/

After finishing up the Dudley/Moriarity case, Ev
Donna Siebold
Aug 26, 2014 Donna Siebold rated it liked it
I really only got this book to read one of the In Death stories by J. D. Robb.

None of the stories had much weight. The Eve and Rourke story was an interesting play against Eve's pragmatic nature and the supernatural. The story of the husband and wife changing bodies has been done before (and probably since) and definitely better.

The Dancing Ghost was a sweet humorous tale. Almost Heaven is the story of a happily married couple who die in a car crash and whose ghosts stay behind to ensure the ha
Anna Mcfadden
Aug 12, 2014 Anna Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
J. D Robb's "Passion in Death" has a murder victim deal out justice against her killer. wicked story in a good way

Mary Blayney's "The Other Side" has an Earl and his countess switch bodies un t I'll they can finally understand each other another part of the magic coin that just gets better.

Patricia Gaffney's "The Dancing Ghost" Has a women to hire a spirit investigator to prove her ancestral home is haunted but the Debunked the meaning of love..... so sweet

Ruth Ryan Langan "Almost Heaven" has a
Silver James
Feb 18, 2015 Silver James rated it liked it
Adding my current 2015 reread of the whole series.

Robb's entry is, as always, the reason for reading the anthologies she appears in--and if it were a stand-alone, definitely worth 5 stars. While the other four novellas were readable, I must admit it is Robb's name that puts the book on my shelf.
Marian
Oct 11, 2012 Marian rated it it was amazing
I love anything by J.D. Robb and I 've come to love the other authors in these anthologies.
Dharia Scarab
I have't read the J.D Robb story yet becaue I've only read book one in that series.

But the other 4 stories made this a fun anthology. Some ghosts, some romance, and an entertaining tale about a couple switching bodies set in regency England.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have given up and skipped to the end. I will avoid this author like the plague in the future
Mo
Jun 14, 2014 Mo rated it did not like it
Possession In Death by J.D. Robb

I like the In Death series and stories with supernatural flair, but this short is mediocre. Old woman dies while searching for her missing granddaughter and semi-possesses Eve to solve the mysteries.

The Other Side Of The Coin by Mary Blayney

Freaky Friday body switch between husband & wife in the 1800s. Perhaps all of us should have the opportunity to live a week in the life/body of our spouse (or opposite gender).

The Dancing Ghost by Patricia Gaffney

The lette
willaful
“Possession in Death.” This picks up right after Indulgence in Death ends and thar be spoilers. Some comic and romantic moments between Eve and Roarke, but I prefer Dallas sans woo-woo. And how will she regain her non-believer attitude after this? 2 stars.

“The Other Side of the Coin.” The magic coin from previous Blaney short stories causes a married Regency couple to do a Thorne Smith-style turnabout. Interesting premise, blah story. 2 stars.

“The Dancing Ghost.” How wonderful to see Gaffney wr
Cris
I got the book solely for Robb's Possession in Death, but I did try the other stories.

Possession in Death had less detective work than usual, shortcutting it with supernatural knowledge, but I still enjoyed the story. And I thought Eve's reaction to the supernatural stuff perfectly fit her character as I understand her.

Mary Blayney's The Other Side of the Coin: The less said the better. It was the worst published writing I've come across in a very long time. Blayney hit a bunch of really stupid
LadyShadows
Jul 26, 2011 LadyShadows rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Story #1 J.D Robb Posession in Death. A cop runs literarly into a dying old lady bringing a priest from her cookout home. As she swears to find the killer of the dying lady she becomes posessed with her spirit as well. She then finds out she is a Romanian tarot reader who sees into the other side and has long been looking for her other family member who is missing. A linked case it becomes for Eve NYPD to solve. An okay short ghostly detective story but I found myself not all into it. Nothing st ...more
Maria
It's a bit difficult to rate this book since it includes five stories, so I'll do it separately. Possession by JD Robb has to be the strangest one she's written. Nevertheless she's good enough to make it work on many levels and I found it hard to put down, so between that and the much-loved characters, it gets 4 stars. The Other Side of the Coin by Mary Blayney was cute but didn't really work for me. I kept thinking there was so much more that could have been done with this premise, so it gets 2 ...more
Lana
Jul 07, 2012 Lana rated it really liked it
J.D. Robb's Possession in Death - Eve finds herself compelled more than is usual to stand for the dead.

I LOVE Nora Roberts' alter-pen-ego J.D. Robb and her In Death books. I love the near-future she's created, I love the regular characters, many of whom make an appearance in this short. I love the relationships these characters have created, which evolve over time, ebbing and flowing with the vagaries of life in the 2050s and 2060s. I love that she just pitches right in to the story without worr
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2010/11/rev...

The Other Side is an PNR anthology written by some of today's’ best selling authors who write of a love that defies the boundaries of life and death.

Possession In Death by JD Robb -I give a B
Ms. Robb adds a supernatural twist to Eve’s crime fight skills when a Romany gypsy charges Eve with finding her missing grandaughter.
Full of action, suspense, and fine Roarke and Eve loving. A wonderful fast paced story that manages to come across
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: “The devil killed my body. I cannot fight, I cannot find. I cannot free her. You must. You are the one. We speak to the dead.” Immediately after hearing these words, uttered to her by an old Romanian woman bleeding to death in the street, LT Eve Dallas begins to notice that her latest case has come with a number of interesting side-effects: visions of the deceased, instant familiarity with rooms she’s never seen before, and fluency in Russian. Likewise, there appears to be a force insi ...more
Regina
Feb 05, 2016 Regina rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting anthology of stories featuring "the other side", in which spirits/ghosts have some interaction with the living world to gain justice, comfort loved ones, learn to respect the gifts of others or to find true love. One story featured characters that seem to come from another series and are interesting enough for me to pursue and check out their origins. A nice, easy read and an enjoyable happenstance find on the library shelf while looking for something else.
Lee
Anthologies are not my favorite. I only read them if one of the stories is relevant to a series I'm reading or is written by a favorite author. The Other Side is such a book. I purchased it because of the story by J. D. Robb as part of the Eve Dallas "In Death" series. None of the other stories enticed me to find other stories, long or short, by the other authors. I have read Patricia Gaffney books and enjoyed them, but her contribution was not up to par with her longer stories.
Anna
Jan 31, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
A nice anthology with the theme of ghosts and the "other side". An excellent Eve Dallas short touches on the supernatural as Eve is possessed by the spirit of a murdered woman - I was skeptical about this at first, but Robb makes it work. As usual, the other stories can't hold a candle to Robb's, but at least there were no dogs in this collection - even though they bordered on cheesy, they were at least kinda fun.
Carol
Aug 11, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. Frequently, when you pick up an anthology by varied authors, the first story is the strongest, written by a more famous author, and the rest of the stories are not as good. But this was not the case for this book. While I picked up the book to read the J.D Robb story, an interesting addition to the ongoing romance of Eve and Roarke, the other five stores were equally interesting and entertaining, and each had their own take on ghosts.
Susan Moore
Aug 08, 2014 Susan Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A NICE WAY TO BE INTRODUCED TO OTHER AUTHORS AND GENRES

I BOUGHT THIS FOR THE J.D. ROBB STORY, BUT ENDED UP LIKING RUTH RYAN LANGAN'S STORY THE BEST EVEN THOUGH ROMANCE/PARANORMAL GENRES ARE USUALLY NOT TO MY LIKING. ALL STORIES RATHER SHORT, BUT ENJOYABLE FOR A CHANGE OF PACE. THE FOUR STARS ARE FOR RUTH'S AND J.D. ROBB'S SHORTS. THE OTHER STORIES I WOULD RATE A THREE AND A HALF:)
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
  • When You Wish
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • PitchDark Presents the Dark Days of Supernatural Paranormal Romance Sampler
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Phantom in Time
  • Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories
  • In the Barrister's Bed (Regency Barrister, #2)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“trash. The contents of the bag I tagged look like basic garbage” 0 likes