Start by marking “How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records” as Want to Read:
How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records

How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  12 reviews
DJs have gone from being underpaid live jukeboxes to becoming premier entertainers, producers, businessmen, and musicians capable of commanding admiration from thousands and earning serious money. Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton's Last Night a DJ Saved My Life was the definitive history of the DJ. Now they gather their mastery of the artistic and technical aspects of bei ...more
Published June 27th 2003 by Grove Press (first published September 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How to DJ Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to DJ Right

Brian
Useful descriptions of basic principles and techniques of mixing and the necessary gear. But a bit thin on examples of "how". Obviously, this takes a lot of practice and the subjectivie ear for melodies and rhythms, but the step-by-step lessons are pretty skimpy, particularly for the fundamentals of beatmatching and cueing. But there are lots of extra how-to suggestions along the lines of scratching, producing, remixing, and dealing with labels and promoters, as well as working the floor. Discus ...more
Calvin
Actually a really good read. A lot of great anecdotes about dj'ing and from some of the world's most famous djs. it really breaks down the science of DJ'ing. youtube wasnt as big at the time and i had no one to teach me DJ'ing so this book was a nice resource to teach myself with esp with a lot of the basics. It is, however, not a replacement of experience and practice.
Wells Crandall
Pretty light reading because, really, there isn't too much to deejaying. Those those that are good at it are simply obsessed, which is not something you can teach. Focused on house and other genres that mix pretty seamlessly. Not much on the new ableton/serrato/torq programs that nearly everyone uses nowadays. In case you don't know, you should expect everything to be seamless now in the club, EXCEPT when the RAM runs out on the computer or the computer crashes. This has happened EVERY TIME I've ...more
Matthew
Helped me expand on the concept of Djing
James Elliott
Although there was not too much which I found startling, this was a good-natured and thoughtful reflection on what really matters in creating a musical space for people to enjoy, with explorations of many different dimensions of the field. It also has interesting and insightful historical information shared by someone who lived and loved it. I expect I will be referring back to this from time to time, with a smile on my face.
AnitaDurt
this is a perty good introduction to djing that i read a few years ago...the chapter on beat matching is helpful if you don't know what the hell that entails...there's little blurbs from other famous dj's scattered throughout the book that i like reading. reading this book made me realize that being a dj is part of my identity as much as other things i do. thanks mom for buying it for me!
John
Has a little bit of everything. Good diagrams on how the different cuts & mixes work.

The stuff on mixing on computer is woefully out of date, but you can find that stuff all on youtube, and the fundamentals are still the same.
Daniel
A great book for anyone wishing to take up the craft of the mix. Non-DJs will appreciate the anecdotes within from some of the world's top turntablists. There is little here for those with no interest in the club scene.
Matt
The unofficial bible of correct DJ technique, championed by DJs worldwide. Full of witty metaphors and quite faced paced, this book can impress quality tips and tricks upon the most infantile of bedroom DJs.
Velanche
This book might be slightly dated, but still a must-read for any budding DJ. The authors know this world well. Lots of useful info, plenty of visuals, and written with a nice touch of humor.
Simon Sweetman
Seems a handy sort of a book - worth a look if the subject's of any interest; I loved their Last Night A DJ Saved Me Life - one of my favourite books...
Renny Constantine
Best guide i have read in my entire life. Practical yet funny and good for use as a reference once it has been read
Swati
Swati marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Hector Maldonado
Hector Maldonado is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Stephanie Ruiz
Stephanie Ruiz is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Kevin Galbraith
Kevin Galbraith is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Sadie
Sadie added it
May 31, 2015
Zora Mpoyrdis
Zora Mpoyrdis marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
elizabeth bandi
elizabeth bandi marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Chuck
Chuck is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Z
Z added it
May 10, 2015
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979
  • Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Blur: 3862 Days: The Official Story
  • Words from the Myths
  • With Amusement for All: A History of American Popular Culture Since 1830
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
  • Encyclopedia Prehistorica Mega-Beasts Pop-Up
  • Mission Al-Jazeera: Build a Bridge, Seek the Truth, Change the World
  • Washington Burning: How a Frenchman's Vision for Our Nation's Capital Survived Congress, the Founding Fathers, and the Invading British Army
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • School of Dreams: Making the Grade at a Top American High School
  • Presidential Anecdotes
  • Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print, and Power
  • Promises for a Jesus Freak
  • If You're Feeling Sinister
Boy's Own, the Complete Fanzines 1986-92: Acid House Scrapes and Capers: Time Out Interviews 1 "Boy's Own", the Complete Fanzines 1986-92: Acid House Scrapes and Capers Red Week The Record Players: DJ Revolutionaries