Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf

Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Big Bad Wolf’s first visit to his local library (as related in Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf) was such a success that he returns to tell his version of “The Three Little Pigs.” His outrageous spin on the tale draws skeptical remarks from his audience: “Isn’t that wolf’s nose getting longer?” asks Pinocchio. “It’s a cooked-up, half-baked tale,” snaps the Gingerbread Boy. And...more
Published August 24th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf

Ekassel
Genre: Children's book / Fiction or Fairy Tale

Age: Elementary

Summary: The Big Bad Wolf (B. B. Wolf) tells his own version of the story of the three little pigs, but is told to tell the truth. Afterwards, he shows that he is a new wolf by making it up to the three little pigs.

Curriculum Connection: This book could easily be used with the three little pigs. It can show kids that people can change. If you make a mistake, you can apologize and make amends. It shows a new ending to a traditional fai...more
Shelly
I really enjoyed Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf. It was a fun story with bold illustrations. I have not read Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf, but that didn't make a difference. You don't need to have read it first to be able to understand this story. In the story, B.B. Wolf tries to tell his side of the story, but he keeps getting interrupted by other storybook characters. I loved how the author tied all of these stories together using the characters. It is a great way to introduce young kids to many st...more
Sarah W
B.B. Wolf, the wolf formerly known as Big Bad, is asked into the library to share his version of the The Three Little Pigs. He didn't count on just who might turn up in the audience. Fans of Disney's Three Little Pigs cartoon will love B.B.'s ring tone. Other retired villains attempt to give advice on telling the tale where B.B. was not the hero. Pinnochio, a pig, and a little engine all have their word's to add to B.B.'s tale.

The library in this book has some very interesting organization: non-...more
Vicky
B.B. Wolf wants to put his own spin on the events concerning the Three Little Pigs. The problem is, it has nothing to do with the truth!

My son really enjoys this story and so do I. The illustrations are fun and colorful - and it's a very playful take on the Three Little Pigs story, with the moral built right into the title. I love these fairy tales told in these new and inventive ways. It really breathes new life into an old favorite.
April
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "Sierra breathes new life into the world of folktales with this fractured tale—the second B. B. Wolf story. This time, B. B. Wolf is invited by Miss Wonderly to come to the library to tell how he met the three little pigs. After getting advice from others living at the Villain Villa (the witch, the crocodile and Rumpelstiltskin), B.B. puts on his orange plaid suit and heads out to present his story. Three times he tries to tell his st...more
Stacey
Audience: This is an age appropriate book for primary grades kindergarten through third grade. * Students need to know the story of the three pigs though.* The message of telling the truth (and that lying by omission is still lying) is an important one that the children will understand through this author's style of writing.

Appeal: The language is simple, the pictures are colorful and humorous. This combination makes this an excellent early literature children's book.

Application: I love the sto...more
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
When my oldest picked out this book to read, I was sure that we'd already read it. But then, as we read the story, I realized that it was a different book. We'd read Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf a couple of years ago and I didn't realize there was a sequel.

This is an interesting story that talks about telling lies and making amends after doing something wrong. The other characters are familiar figures from various fairy tales and children's stories, but they seem to be ganging up a bit on the w...more
Amy Adams
I recently read an article about how kids prefer stories that do not blatantly try to teach you a message. While the message in this book is clear, I still think this is a good one for kids. I'm probably biased because I love the illustrations so much that it somewhat compensates for the underwhelming storyline. The Big Bad (B.B.) Wolf is invited to the library to tell his story, but some hecklers in the audience let us know that he's not telling the truth. I like the wolf's made up story better...more
Samantha Weatherford
This is yet another book putting a new spin on the three little pigs fairytale. The wolf is invited to tell his side of the story, and is forced to admit he was wrong. He wants to right the wrong he has done, so he recruits the help of other fairytale villians and builds a new house for the 3 pigs. In the process the wolf earns a new title. Introduces some new vocabulary, and the illustrations are very choppy and cutout looking, so it looks interesting. Great for a prediction lesson, because it...more
Katherine Fountain
This is definitely a fun book. It is a retelling of the big bad wolf. I read this book to my first grade class for a text to text connection activity. We connected it to the original story of The Big Bad Wolf and talked about similarities and differences through a large venn diagram although this Story is very fun, it makes references to other stories which I assumed the students had read but there were two students who did not understand the references to other books. I would definitely use thi...more
The Library Lady
I can't believe I'm slamming a Judy Sierra book since I've used her stuff (especially her Flannel Board books) for years, but I am.

Jon Scieszka did this far,far, better in The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and he didn't feel the need to turn the whole thing saccharine. Even the "songs" here don't scan well.

I'm not sure what Ms Sierra was going for here, but whatever it was, it just doesn't work.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
B.B. Wolf is invited to the library to tell a story. But the story he tells, about himself and the three little pigs, is exaggerated and twisted to make himself look good. Knowing the facts of the story already, the children at the library insist that he tell the truth. What I like about the story is the idea that sorry means more than just saying the words--it must be shown in actions as well. I didn't care much for the illustrations, but I liked the message. Not my favorite book by Judy Sierra...more
Taylor Troncin
Cute book! Humorous illustrations! A great and quick lesson for any child!

Wesley really was engaged with this book and was able to recall the details of the story, etc. I hope to look into more B.B. Wolf books soon!
Charlyn  Trussell
B.B. Wolf, like the wolf in The true story of the three little pigs, has his own special explanation of his responses to the three little pigs. B.B., however, tells his story at the library where he is accosted by storybook characters requesting the truth. Seibold's illustrations perfectly fit this droll tale that has a very different ending from Sciezka's version. Students should enjoy hearing the story and then going through the book to find the little details included.
Maria Burel
Continuing with our exploration of fractured fairytales, this one looked like a good pick. Sadly, it didn’t *quite* happen for me. The story begins okay with B.B Wolf being invited to share his story at a library storytime. He soon finds that his audience is not going to let him get away with his version of the truth. But then at the point where you think the story should end…it doesn’t . The book went a little long (and rambly) for me.
Cathy
Would be great to use with My Lucky Day by Kasza, The Wolf Who Cried Boy by Hartmann or other twisted fairy tale titles. Lends itself well to discussion and future writing project ideas.

would go well with the book Carol and I talked about last summer for Wed Aft Club where part of nursery rhyme is described and the title is not given.
would go well with Previously by Ahlberg
Ms. B
The Big Bad Wolf has changed. Can he convince the 3 Little Pigs and others that he really has? Will ‘I’m sorry’ be enough? What will he need to do to make amends with those he has hurt in the past?
Familiarity with fairy tales is needed to fully appreciate this story. A good story to show that even if you have made mistakes in the past, you can change for the better.
Roxanne
This book is so cute! I loved it! It is about the Big Bad wolf going to a library to tell his version of the three little pigs. I would use the book with Kindergarten and older for a reading aloud and a unit on fairytales.

2013 nominee for Colorado Children's Book Award
Allison Burke
Funny story for kids about the perspective of the big bad wolf from the three little pigs story. It teaches about telling the truth and forgiveness. It also teaches that even if you are mean, you can still change your attitude and behavior and become a nice person. Grades k-3
Tricia
House was split on this one. Emelia liked it because she liked when he didn't tell the true story of the three little pigs and she liked when he made a house for the pigs as payback. I thought it was just okay (but hey, I'm not the target audience!).
Deborah Miller
Sep 08, 2010 Deborah Miller is currently reading it
When big bad wolf who now lives at the villain villa retirement residence is invited to tell his story at the library, he faces the truth about what he did to the three little pigs and decides to make amends. ASC and guest readers.
Jennifer Wiggins
I liked this book and the fact that it put a different spin on the 3 Little Pigs book. I like how the author brought in many characters from many different fairy tales. I could use this book in a unit that I just devised on point of view.
Paula
When Big Bad Wolf, who now lives at the Villain Villa Retirement Residence, is invited to tell his story at the library, he faces the truth about what he did to the three little pigs and decides to make amends.
Joenna
Mandy
The local librarian invites the Big Bad Wolf to tell his story about how he met the Three Little Pigs. But, B. B. Wolf is so embarrassed about his previous behavior that he lies and tells a new tale.
Pat Johns
Much fun - the girls and I enjoyed yelling at the (BIG BAD WOLF) to do as the title admonishes. The story and pictures are terrific and you'll have lots of fun.
Sue
Funny story about it what happens when you don't tell the truth. Could possibly used in a fractured fairy tale unit. The wolf give his version of the 3 Little Pigs.
Deborah
There's more than one way to tell a story: what is truth??? I'm reading Yagoda's book on memoir, and the question is not just for B. B. Wolf.
Marcie
Liked this better as a read aloud. Still liked the first bb wolf better, but pairing it with a fairy tale match activity was fun.
  • Oscar and the Very Hungry Dragon
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Argus
  • Three Little Tamales, The
  • Always In Trouble
  • The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out! (Big Time!)
  • Even More Parts (Parts, #3)
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • The Busy Tree
  • The Three Little Gators
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop...more
More about Judy Sierra...
Wild About Books ZooZical The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town Born to Read Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf