Start by marking “Ginger and the Mystery Visitor” as Want to Read:
Ginger and the Mystery Visitor

Ginger and the Mystery Visitor

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ginger and the resident kitten are annoyed by a pushy feline who sneaks in and eats their food. Can the girl find a way to solve the mystery?

It’s a wonderful arrangement: Ginger, the kitten, and the girl who looks after them. Until a spy appears at the window, and even shows up one day in the kitchen licking their bowls! The girl is curious as to where the large and seemin
Published August 10th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ginger and the Mystery Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginger and the Mystery Visitor

Lisa Vegan
Jan 05, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy the Ginger books; reader who know & love cats
Completely charming!

This book is probably the most amusing of the Ginger stories. (The first two books were Ginger and Ginger Finds a Home.)

A strange cat keeps visiting the home of Ginger, the kitten, and the little girl. He comes for the food. The little girl has a brilliant idea about how to find out the circumstances of this new cat, and then things change, sort of.

The illustrations are perfection. They bring all the humor to the story, and they’re just wonderfully amusing.

I definitely recom
Kathryn
I didn't enjoy this as well as I did the previous Ginger books. A neighborhood cat comes along and eats all Ginger and the kitten's food; but later they find he has a good home and shouldn't be fed. I just wasn't quite sure what the "moral of the story" is, whether it was just supposed to be amusing or to teach something about gluttony. I guess I just wanted more, or didn't get it :-( I mean, I could appreciate the humor it from a human standpoint (those sly cats, haha!) but I wanted to know bet ...more
Gail Cooke

Who could resist Ginger, the title character or the book? Ginger is a contented cat. She has a nice home, a thoughtful little girl who takes care of her and the small kitten who lives with them.

Both felines especially look forward to breakfast, but one morning they were surprised to see someone watching them through the window. “I wonder who that is, said the little girl, but nobody knew.”

Now this wasn't just an ordinary cat looking through the window, but a very audacious one. It wasn't lon
Nick
The story is cute, and pretty good, in the same genre as Six Dinner Sid. The story is so relaxed, though, that there is no real excitement to it. The "mystery" is resolved so quickly and so smoothly that there is no strength to the resolution.
Ginger, feline star of a couple of previous picture books, finds an intruder cat in her home, gobbling down food and napping on the family bed. Oddly, neither she nor her human companion seems to have any objection to this, and are merely puzzled as to whe
Peacegal
A silly book celebrating the humorous nature of cats.
Tpareo
ar book level 2.8
Jessica
A mystery cat visits the house where Ginger and a black kitten live. He sneaks in and eats the kitties' food. The little girl who takes care of Ginger and the kitten devises a plan to find out if the mystery cat has a home, and she learns that his name is Tiddles, and he makes a habit of eating other cats' food, though he is well fed at home! This is a cute little story about cats that would be great for a pet storytime.
Candice
Oct 31, 2011 Candice rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Ginger and the kitten lead comfortable lives with the little girl. One day a stranger appears at their window. Day after day the strange cat watches them eat their meals. Then one day they find him in the kitchen licking out their bowls. Whenever the door is open, he comes in. Who is this mystery stranger? Paired with softly colored and spare drawings, this is a good little book for cat lovers.
Laura Salas
Kate Hastings
Ages 4-8. If your cat is suddenly getting fat... there might be a reason. What a genius idea!! Tie a note to the cat to get the real story. I still think the best way to make sure your cat doesn't get fat is to KEEP IT INSIDE (our neighborhood cat pees on our front door...).
Anna
Nice story about about 2 cats who are visited by a third cat who appears to be very hungry. Of course they share their food, but is he really in need of a meal?

Featured at story hour at the Huntsville Public Library.

Both grandsons liked it.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets, english
This is a wonderful tale, with big fonts and a simple narrative for beginning readers, humorous and adorable illustrations and an engaging story. We really enjoyed reading this book aloud together and will look for more books by this author!
Nancy Jo Lambert
I admit, I am not a cat person and portions of this story were slightly interesting, but for the most part, I didn't particluarly care for it. I think that kids will like it, but it won't be a smash hit.
Paula

Ginger and the small kitten are happy living with the little girl who looks after them but one day a large and hungry visitor appears in the kitchen and changes their comfortable routine.
Tara
Children will love the cuddly felines of this story! The book keeps everyone guessing as to where this mystery visitor came from. This book was short and cute; a great quick read!
DebbieLisa
Loved the illustrations. I thought the story itself ended a little flat but we still enjoyed the book overall.
Karen
The visitor is a sly one - begging for his multiple meals. Elegant drawings; humerous story.
Susan P
May 10, 2011 Susan P added it
Shelves: picture-books
Another story starring Ginger and the kitten. This time there is third cat in the picture!
Kathy Fredrickson
Love the idea of tying a note to the cat and receiving a reply! Cute story.
Mercy
Not as good as other Ginger books- but okay
Geni
fun humor...lots of vocab
Nan
Nan added it
Dec 26, 2014
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
381933
"I don’t know that I’m a funny person," says author-illustrator Charlotte Voake. "But it seems when I begin to draw that the characters change, and they take on this amusing and amused look." Indeed, her illustrations are widely loved for this very quality of gentle wit, not to mention their quiet observation, airy exuberance, and utter charm.

Born and raised in Wales, Charlotte Voake says that boo
More about Charlotte Voake...
Ginger Ginger Finds a Home Tweedle Dee Dee Hello Twins Here Comes the Train