Start by marking “The Grey Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Grey Fairy Book

The Grey Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #6)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  603 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Thirty-five stories, many from oral traditions, and others from French, German, Italian collections, but all told in the common language of the fairy tale. Includes "The Goat-faced Girl," "The Sunchild," "The Street Musicians," "The Twin Brothers," "Prunella," and many more filled with giants, magicians, fairies, ogres, and other fantastic creatures. 59 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1967 by Dover Publications (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Fairy Book

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
Best Children's Books, 1850-1900
24th out of 61 books — 11 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
334th out of 458 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Amalie
"Prunella"'s source unidentified. The source for this tale can be from oral traditions, and others from French, German or Italian collections.

*spoiler*

Seven years old girl used to pick ripe plums from a wild plum tree. Each morning the child would pick one, and put it into her pocket to eat at school. For this reason she was called Prunella.

The tree belonged to A witch, one day she caught her and she dragged Prunella into her house.

Prunella grew up into a very beautiful girl and the witch bec...more
Richard
Always fascinating discoveries -Ketke's storehouse gets raided in fine style this time around as does Cabinet des Fees. Always maddening omissions -where the Hell did The Sunchild come from? Always amazing that this series was aimed at AND LOVED BY children.
Hank
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
Sol  Gonzalez
Este es uno de los libros que nunca me he arrepentido de comprar, ya que en cualquier temporada del año y en cualquier momento puedo sacar del librero y símplemente disfrutar.

El libro gris contiene 35 cuentos, el más conocido de todos es el de "Los músicos de Bremen" y "El ogro", aunque así por los títulos es posible que no sean reconocidos fácilmente.

Este es el primer libro de este tipo que contiene un cuento complejo que ocupa más de unas cuantas hojas y que se compone de dos cuentos. Es el de...more
Elinor  Loredan
Favorites:

Donkey Skin (though I wouldn't let a donkey be slain for me)
The Goblin Pony
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles
The White Wolf
Bobino
The Jackal and the Spring
The Bear (though the prince really did not deserve her)
The Sunchild
The Unlooked for Prince
Cannetella
A Fairy's Blunder
Long, Broad, and QuickEye
Prunella

I literally loathed Mohammed With the Magic Finger for all the unjustified killing,...more
Patrice
Janni and the Draken :(
The Partnership of the Thief and the Liar :/
Fortunatus and his Purse :/
The Goat-faced Girl :/
What Came of Picking Flowers :)
The Story of Bensurdatu :)
The Magician's Horse :)
The Little Grey Man :(
Herr Lazarus and the Draken :)
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles :/
Udea and Her Seven Brothers :(
The White Wolf :)
Mohammed with the Magic Finger :(
Bobino :/
The Dog and the Spa...more
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Once upon a time there lived a man whose right eye always smiled, and whose left eye always cried; and this man had three sons, two of them very clever, and the third very stupid. Now these three sons were very curious about the peculiarity of their father's eyes, and as they could not puzzle out the reason for themselves, they determined to ask their father why he did not have eyes like other people. So the eldest of the three went one day into his father's room and put the question straight ou...more
Statikpulse
not too bad. i wish that my kindle had the images, and i think that would have been a nice addition. Some of the stories were lacking creativity and were very generic.

Other ones were very cute and unique. It was my first Andrew Lang book, and I will read the others.

There was one story in the middle that was much too long and boring for me.

In general, it was great to be able to read some fairy tales from around the world. Its a nice break from reading americanized ones my whole life. Because of...more
Erica
This is an interesting set of stories. Some I liked more than others. Like another reviewer, I got bored with one of them in the middle. There were a few foreign words I didn't understand. Overall, I would have preferred less predicability, but it wasn't that bad. Also, some parts are a bit too scary, depending on the child's age and fearfulness.
Malu Vargas
I haven't read all the stories so I shouldn't really review this book. It is, as expected, full of tales that tell us pretty much the same stories: of loosing, finding, fighting, loving, fearing and learning how to live. Isn't that what we look for in stories no matter if old or brand new?
 Marla
Collection of fairy tales from all over the world.

Likes:
* happily ever afters
* most were stories I've never heard before

Dislikes:
* many tales were similar or predictable
* there was rarely a twist
* beautiful and royalty always won over ugly even if ugly was kind and generous
Maria
This was a nice collection of stories. My list of most interesting/favorites:

- An Impossible Enchantment
- The Partnership of the Liar and the Thief
- What Comes of Picking Flowers
- The Daughter of Buk Ettemsuch
- Cannetella
- The Fairy's Blunder
- Prunella
Arwen
Another anthology of fairy tales. The more folklore I read the more I note that many tales are simply regional variations of universal themes. My favorite out of this collection was "Prunella", the very last tale.
Remy
Uneven collection, with some good fairy tales. I loved 'An Impossible Enchantment' and 'Queen of the Flowery Isles.' I always enjoy Andrew Lang's charming Victorian writing.
Kayleen
Didn't get to read all of it before it was due at my library. But from what I did read of it was really good.
Chris
Really fun but I wish it had annotations of some sort explaining what various monsters were.
Vic Russell
Vic Russell marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Michael Lee Vazquez
Michael Lee Vazquez marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Barbi Mateer
Barbi Mateer marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Juli Anna Herndon
Juli Anna Herndon marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Tushars
Tushars marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Kendra Škec
Kendra Škec is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2014
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Grey Fairy Book publication date 2 10 May 28, 2014 07:16AM
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Off With Their Heads!: Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
  • Fairy Tales from the Arabian Nights
  • Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Shadow Castle
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.
The Andrew Lang Lectures at St. Andrews University are named for him. He also rewrote the famous The 12 Dancing Princesses, originally done by the Grimm Brothers. Andrew Lang did the French version.
More about Andrew Lang...
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book