Start by marking “The Grey Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Grey Fairy Book

The Grey Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #6)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  671 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Thirty-five stories, many from oral traditions, and others from French, German, Italian collections, but all told in the common language of the fairy tale. Includes "The Goat-faced Girl," "The Sunchild," "The Street Musicians," "The Twin Brothers," "Prunella," and many more filled with giants, magicians, fairies, ogres, and other fantastic creatures. 59 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1967 by Dover Publications (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Fairy Book

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollThe Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
Best Children's Books, 1850-1900
33rd out of 61 books — 12 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
362nd out of 547 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

♍ichael Ƒierce
Jan 29, 2015 ♍ichael Ƒierce marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♍ichael Ƒierce by: Leisa
Would love to have the original Hardcover edition with this same cover used for the Kindle
  description

But, this one's a real hoot, too!

description
Richard
Always fascinating discoveries -Ketke's storehouse gets raided in fine style this time around as does Cabinet des Fees. Always maddening omissions -where the Hell did The Sunchild come from? Always amazing that this series was aimed at AND LOVED BY children.
Amalie
"Prunella"'s source unidentified. The source for this tale can be from oral traditions, and others from French, German or Italian collections.

*spoiler*

Seven years old girl used to pick ripe plums from a wild plum tree. Each morning the child would pick one, and put it into her pocket to eat at school. For this reason she was called Prunella.

The tree belonged to A witch, one day she caught her and she dragged Prunella into her house.

Prunella grew up into a very beautiful girl and the witch bec
Mary Catelli
This one has a fair variety. A number of Arabic -- or arabesque -- ones, some of which I recognized from a more literal translation (this turns ghouls into witches and ogres). Some prolonged literary ones, which were not to my taste. I particularly liked "The Story of Bensurdatu", "The Magician's Horse," "the White Wolf," "The Bear," and "Laughing Eye and Weeping Eye." All which I think I have read before as variants earlier in the series. Interesting to see what twists are put on them. (It feat ...more
Hank
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
Sol  Gonzalez
Este es uno de los libros que nunca me he arrepentido de comprar, ya que en cualquier temporada del año y en cualquier momento puedo sacar del librero y símplemente disfrutar.

El libro gris contiene 35 cuentos, el más conocido de todos es el de "Los músicos de Bremen" y "El ogro", aunque así por los títulos es posible que no sean reconocidos fácilmente.

Este es el primer libro de este tipo que contiene un cuento complejo que ocupa más de unas cuantas hojas y que se compone de dos cuentos. Es el de
Elinor  Loredan
Favorites:

Donkey Skin (though I wouldn't let a donkey be slain for me)
The Goblin Pony
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles
The White Wolf
Bobino
The Jackal and the Spring
The Bear (though the prince really did not deserve her)
The Sunchild
The Unlooked for Prince
Cannetella
A Fairy's Blunder
Long, Broad, and QuickEye
Prunella

I literally loathed Mohammed With the Magic Finger for all the unjustified killing,
Patrice
Janni and the Draken :(
The Partnership of the Thief and the Liar :/
Fortunatus and his Purse :/
The Goat-faced Girl :/
What Came of Picking Flowers :)
The Story of Bensurdatu :)
The Magician's Horse :)
The Little Grey Man :(
Herr Lazarus and the Draken :)
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles :/
Udea and Her Seven Brothers :(
The White Wolf :)
Mohammed with the Magic Finger :(
Bobino :/
The Dog and the Spa
Pendi
Andrew Lang collects and edits different folk tales, myths, legends, and other stories from different countries, religions, and cultures. However, he does rewrite them to fit the Anglo-Saxon, Christian ideals that were pervasive among Western cultures, such as the United Kingdom and the United States. But once you get past that, it is an enjoyable way to learn new stories for future tellings.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Once upon a time there lived a man whose right eye always smiled, and whose left eye always cried; and this man had three sons, two of them very clever, and the third very stupid. Now these three sons were very curious about the peculiarity of their father's eyes, and as they could not puzzle out the reason for themselves, they determined to ask their father why he did not have eyes like other people. So the eldest of the three went one day into his father's room and put the question straight ou ...more
Statikpulse
not too bad. i wish that my kindle had the images, and i think that would have been a nice addition. Some of the stories were lacking creativity and were very generic.

Other ones were very cute and unique. It was my first Andrew Lang book, and I will read the others.

There was one story in the middle that was much too long and boring for me.

In general, it was great to be able to read some fairy tales from around the world. Its a nice break from reading americanized ones my whole life. Because of
Erica
This is an interesting set of stories. Some I liked more than others. Like another reviewer, I got bored with one of them in the middle. There were a few foreign words I didn't understand. Overall, I would have preferred less predicability, but it wasn't that bad. Also, some parts are a bit too scary, depending on the child's age and fearfulness.
Malu Vargas
I haven't read all the stories so I shouldn't really review this book. It is, as expected, full of tales that tell us pretty much the same stories: of loosing, finding, fighting, loving, fearing and learning how to live. Isn't that what we look for in stories no matter if old or brand new?
 Marla
Collection of fairy tales from all over the world.

Likes:
* happily ever afters
* most were stories I've never heard before

Dislikes:
* many tales were similar or predictable
* there was rarely a twist
* beautiful and royalty always won over ugly even if ugly was kind and generous
Juli Anna Herndon
The best stories: "The Goblin Pony," "The Partnership of the Thief and the Liar," "What Came of Picking Flowers," "The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles," and "Long, Broad, and Quick-Eye."
Maria
This was a nice collection of stories. My list of most interesting/favorites:

- An Impossible Enchantment
- The Partnership of the Liar and the Thief
- What Comes of Picking Flowers
- The Daughter of Buk Ettemsuch
- Cannetella
- The Fairy's Blunder
- Prunella
Arwen
Another anthology of fairy tales. The more folklore I read the more I note that many tales are simply regional variations of universal themes. My favorite out of this collection was "Prunella", the very last tale.
Remy
Uneven collection, with some good fairy tales. I loved 'An Impossible Enchantment' and 'Queen of the Flowery Isles.' I always enjoy Andrew Lang's charming Victorian writing.
Kayleen
Didn't get to read all of it before it was due at my library. But from what I did read of it was really good.
Chris
Really fun but I wish it had annotations of some sort explaining what various monsters were.
Magali
Magali marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Zia
Zia marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Hillary Herlehy
Hillary Herlehy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Courtney Williamson
Courtney Williamson marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Jessi Caldwell
Jessi Caldwell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Grey Fairy Book publication date 2 10 May 28, 2014 07:16AM
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • English Fairy Tales
  • American Fairy Tales
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • Popular Tales from the Norse
  • Off With Their Heads!: Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book