Start by marking “Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)

Breathless (The House of Rohan #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,324 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews
Ruined beyond repair and shunned by London society, lovely Miranda Rohan rebelliously embraces the freedom that comes from having nothing left to lose. However, this dangerous course throws her under the power of the darkly enigmatic Lucien de Malheur—known to many as the Scorpion.

Seeking to destroy the Rohans, Lucien traps Miranda in a marriage she thinks is based on frie
Mass Market Paperback, 379 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Mira (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breathless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathless

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasLothaire by Kresley ColeLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaught
Villain as romantic love interests
16th out of 358 books — 652 voters
Black Ice by Anne StuartRuthless by Anne StuartIce Blue by Anne StuartCold As Ice by Anne StuartIce Storm by Anne Stuart
Best Anne Stuart Books
12th out of 65 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold. But this revenge will catch the predator in his own trap.

When I pick up an Anne Stuart book, I know going in that this it is not going to be a 'sweet' love story. That doesn't mean it won't be a good love story. But certainly not the hearts and flowers one might assume for romance.

I had heard that The Scorpion was something else, too much for some readers. I pondered if that would be the case for me. Let's face it. I love bad boy heroes. Too much, probably. Es
Catherine
I've finished this book and all I can say is holy crap.

I don't even know how to rate this book. It was just...I don't even know. Have you ever watched one of those dramatic, crazy reality shows? You know they're seriously messed up individuals, but there's something compelling and enjoyable about watching their brand of crazy. That was how I felt about Lucien and Miranda by the time I ended the book.

Let me set the mood by giving you a very apt theme song to listen to while you read my review. T
Rane
Nov 16, 2010 Rane rated it really liked it
Gather a-round o’ readers for I have a moral tale to tell, one with many twists and turns, with love and hate balanced on that of a sharp blade knife. A story of a Scorpion named Lucien de Malheaur as he finds a mate in a woman by the name of Miranda Rohan- in the act of vengeance- to destroy the Rohan family. Although vengeance and passion go hand in hand with this twisted romance between the dancing courtships of Scorpions, you may be surprised to hear twisted romance? Really? Then gentle rea ...more
Tammy Walton Grant

How is it that the best story in the trilogy is also the most disappointing book of the three? This book had SO much potential. It had everything in it that makes a historical romance for me -- on the shelf heroine, dissolute, dark, hardened, cynical hero, twisted revenge plot...how exciting, I thought!

Lucien de Malheur is one of Stuart's best 'dark' heroes. In the Scorpion she has created someone so dark and so bent on revenge that he is almost irredeemable. I usually call her characte
Shawna
4 stars – Historical Romance

This was my least favorite of the lushly sensual House of Rohan series, mainly because the ruination revenge plot was exhausting and the hero, scarred, depraved Lucien de Malhuer, aka the Scorpion, wasn’t quite reformed or redeemed enough to make up for some truly heinous, unforgivable acts perpetrated against the heroine. I love Stuart’s dark, tortured, gamma heroes, but emotionally empty, borderline evil Scorpion Lucien was a bit too much at times. His feelings towa
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
I'm writing this review because this book made me feel traumatized and violated. I think it's a testament to her skill as an author that she makes me feel so intensely, but I also wish someone would silently point out the books that would traumatize me.

I had a real problem with the hero of this book. Basically, it is this: in the very first pages of the book, he pays someone to abduct and rape the heroine and force her into marriage.

But even though the heroine says "It hadn't been rape," I don
willaful
Jul 03, 2011 willaful rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Hey, Stuart finally did something interesting with the Heavenly Host! I’ve liked all the books in this series, but the whole evil club theme was tiresome. They only have a small role here, thank goodness, but it’s a significant one.

This was a rare -- probably the only -- Stuart book that had me more interested in the heroine than the hero. I was expecting Miranda (daughter of the spoiled hero from Reckless and granddaughter of the decadent hero from Ruthless) to be a willful rich girl type, but
Quinn
I love that feeling you get when you finish a good book – especially a satisfying romance. You might give a contented little sigh. A peaceful smile or a cheek-splitting grin. You might sit quietly and reflect on the wonderful journey you undertook courtesy of a talented author, the characters you cheered for and the moments you can secret away for a time when your spirits need uplifting. The feeling that all is well, at least within the pages between the cover.

Well, I didn’t get any of that when
Crista
Breathless, book 3 of the House of Rohan trilogy, just may be the darkest novel I've ever read. There were times while reading this book that I got chills (and they definitely weren't the good ones). This book is not for the faint at heart. Anne Stuart's heroes are dark...but Lucien is borderline "evil". He is somewhat "reformed" by the end, but he is still a long way from "good" when you turn the last page.

I have pledged my undying loyalty to this author. She is, simply put, a genius. Anne Stu
Keri
It is painful to have to give a series that you have enjoyed up until now such a low grade. But because I didn't get enough of an ending I ultimately couldn't believe in Lucien's redemption. What he had done to Miranda was beyond the pale. In the end Miranda turned out to be a better woman than I would have been.

Miranda is a woman that has been ruined and is now cut off from the ton. She is ok with that. She has her little house and a family that loves her. But when she catches the notice of Lu
Manda Collins
Sep 13, 2010 Manda Collins rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Anne Stuart jerk heroes, fans of revenge plots, plans of dark historicals
Recommended to Manda by: NetGalley
Shelves: historical
I'm not sure if it was because the Rohan in this book was a daughter, Miranda, and not a son (and therefore not quite as dreadful), or if it was perhaps the revenge theme, but I was not quite as enamored of BREATHLESS as I was of RUTHLESS and RECKLESS. There was also the squick factor that the hero engineered the heroine's ravishment by another man as part of his revenge plan--years before they even met, but still. And he didn't really ever show remorse about it--in fact more than once he revele ...more
Julia
Favorite Line: "You can get an erection less than an hour after I've tried to kill you?" she said in disbelief. "Just how perverse are you?" "Let me show you."

After having such an enthusiastic to the first of the Rohan novels, "Ruthless", I had resigned myself to the rest of the series not being able to meet my expectations. When "Reckless" was an enjoyable, but not spectacular, read, I was convinced my initial prediction would be correct. And then came "Breathless." With so many of the elements
Dominee
Apr 14, 2014 Dominee rated it did not like it
I tried to like this book. I really did. I knew going into it that it was going to be dark and I was okay with that, I like my romances brooding, emotionally deep, and the darker the better. I was prepared and having read the next book in the series I already loved Lucien and Miranda.

*spoilers ahead*
So Lucien hires someone to abduct and marry Miranda as vengeance for his sister's suicide and the part he thinks Miranda's brother had in it. The guy abducts and rapes Miranda and she escapes before
Kelly
After reading and loving Reckless I was happy to find this installment. However I found the plot and the lead character so extreme that I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Lucien was too dark to even find him remotely attractive. Usually if the lead is physically unattractive then he has a more developed and loving nature, and vice versa. Lucien however was physically scarred, and morally corrupted. I just couldn't get over the fact that he paid someone to kidnap Miranda and rape her, and then sh
Robin
Mar 21, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Lucien de Malheur is out for revenge against the Rohan family. He blames the oldest Rohan son for the death of his step-sister and will stop at nothing to get even. His plan is to take Miranda Rohan, the only daughter in the family, and make her his wife. First he will ruin her. Then he will marry her, humiliate her, break her, and then not let her see her family. But he had never met Miranda Rohan. After learning his plan and agreeing to go with Lucien to save her family, Miranda decides to tur ...more
Nisha
Ms. Stuart delivers another one of her classically nefarious heroes in Breathless. Unlike the mostly reformed Rohans, Lucien de Malheur (the Scorpion) is a real baddie. In fact, his entire purpose in life is to get his revenge on the Rohans by ruining the heroine, Miranda Rohan. For those who aren't clear about who this is, Miranda is the daughter of rakehell Adrian Rohan from Reckless.

So the story begins with 21 year old Miranda, who unlike most young women, is gifted with a mix of randy Rohan
TJ
Oct 03, 2011 TJ rated it really liked it
Here is one of those rare books that is almost impossible to definitively rate.
Emotional rating: 2.0
Analytical rating: 5.0
How does one meld the two when splitting it right down the middle just doesn't do either justice?

From the emotional perspective:

Those who know me, know there are few things I HATE more that an emotionally exhausting journey that ends abruptly. This story takes the cake. If you take the word "emotion" - on steroids, add a hero/villain so vile as to leave one's nails chewed to
Ruth
This was my favorite of this series. Much darker, more unsettling, more credible maybe. I absolutely LOVED the heroine in this one. Smart, determined but fatalistic, and committed to taking the hand dealt her and playing it to it's fullest.

The hero is incredibly dark, but unlike the hero in Ruthless, his darkness is credible. He is driven by a revenge so intense, it has pushed out all other emotions.

The Heavenly Host also fares better in this book, even though it's not core and only makes a mi
Gail
I had a hard time deciding what I thought about this book. The hero was very, Very dark, and I'm not sure he groveled enough at the end. His motivation for his actions seemed pretty feeble to me as well.

Anyway, the heroine's been ruined, and is living quite happily cut off from London society. The hero, who is quite a villain, has decided to court, seduce and abandon the heroine to pay her brother back for doing the same to his sister. Only when he meets the heroine, he decides to marry her beca
Riz
Feb 05, 2016 Riz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - 1 Star

By the way, If I give a story 1 star, so absolutely it will be the worst rating I give (It means I hate the book) . But if I don't give any rating against the book at all, that doesnt mean I hate the book, that means that's just not my cuppa, but I don't hate the book

I hate this book!
Even gua yang biasanya demen-demen aja bacaan dark dan sebangsanya, gak suka banget sama buku ini. Heronya GAK banget. The storyline bikin gua GIVE UP. The ending? DOUBLE GIVE UP.

Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
Well, this wasn't the worst Anne Stuart I've read, but it was still pretty awful.

This book was, for the most part, extremely tedious. Stuart's heros always try so hard to convince themselves and everyone else of their badness. Which is fine when it's not so badly done. I swear, her characters always think things "absently" or "dreamily," and say things "cheerfully" when they're being facetious. Get a thesaurus!

Having the heroine hit the hero upside the head with an oar doesn't negate the emotion
Janet
Not a keeper for me and that's too bad because it could have been. I thought Miranda was strong and clever and she had a delicious sense of humour. As for the hero, enough with the scars from childhood and angst up the wazoo. I'm just tired of it: I don't find it fresh and I most certainly don't find it believable i.e., that did not make him a sympathetic character to me.

Opening the book with a planned rape ... an abduction that lasted for four days ... how was that going to factor into an HEA?
Amber
Nov 02, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
I was ambivalent about reading this book due to the whole rape hullabaloo. Well, wow, it IS definitely rape-y. My goodness. Very old school bodice ripper again and again. And while there were most of the instances fell into the forced seduction category, there were other(s) that were definitely rape. I say that because in the book they claim it's not and because I saw a few reviews claiming that as well. Well, it is, dammit, and here's why: (view spoiler) ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Following in my Anne Stuart obsession, I find myself back with the Rohans. This time we know for sure we are reading about Adrian's kids. Did I mention that Adrian is mine? Just making sure.

Basically, one of Adrian's sons, Benedick, had *caused* a girl to kill herself from unrequited love. Her brother wants vengeance now. And what better way to get it than by seducing his sister and ruining her life?

The very beginning of this story is the reason why it doesn't rate higher. I had a big issue with
Tutti Dolci
Oct 04, 2010 Tutti Dolci rated it really liked it
Isn't it funny how reviews of any kind are SO subjective?

Before I started to read this book, I read a full page's worth of reviews on Goodreads, most citing how Breathless wasn't as good as the other books in the House of Rohan series. Well, funny enough, I thought it was the best in the series. Read the whole thing in one sitting and didn't want to put it down. Even dreamt about it in the overnight hours (which happens a lot when I've enjoyed what I've read).

From the hero/villain to the second
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
I don't like these sort of stories because I just can't forgive certain things. The length that Lucien went to get his revenge crossed w moral and ethical line that Miranda should have been very afraid of him. I didn't care for this one.
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon
I kinda skimmed some parts of the book..Either I'm not in the mood for a regency romance or the book is really not just for me.
Tara
Oct 06, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
By far, the biggest bastard of them all.

Lucien made Frances (Ruthless) and Adrian (Reckless) look like perfectly acceptable boyfriend material. He was dark and unyielding to almost the end. Not to say I didn't enjoy him as a hero/ villein. Miranda was a likable heroine and she played Lucien very well. Their dialogue was hilarious at times and I actually laughed out loud.
Great book and I'm sad this series is over (at least I think it is). I hope not.
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Dec 05, 2010 ♥The Kat's Meow♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, ebook, nook
Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3) by Anne Stuart Dark controlling hero, spirited, saucy protagonist; A recipe for romance? But of course! An often amusing, definitely riveting tale a la Beauty and the Beast, or perhaps Phantom of the Opera. I like the fact the the characters were described as ordinary, or at least thought themselves of average looks. I enjoyed a tale featuring a woman with the strength to over come her fall from grace, coming through the experienc with humor, pride, and independence.

Did I skim? Well, a little, but only becau
Summer
Jan 18, 2011 Summer rated it really liked it
This book was probably one of the most crazy of the 3 'House of Rohan' books I've read. There was a lot of crazy revenge schemes and an over the top hero. I sort of expected that though with the series, and in a completely insane way, it was fun to read. It was especially very good and keeping me guessing what's going to happen with the crazy couple. The only real complaint I found was the ending. It was like I wanted more of a conflict between the couple and especially when the heroine's brothe ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 18, 2015 10:17AM
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • Tapestry
  • The Silver Devil
  • House of Glass
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • His at Night
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • A Bed of Spices
  • Simply Scandalous
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...

The House of Rohan (4 books)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)

“And she swung the old oar at him with all her strength.
It hit with a great thwack, splintering in two, and he went over the side, into the dark, cold waters of the lake, sinking like a stone.
It took her two seconds. And then she let out a scream for help, tossing the broken oar away from her, and jumped into the water after him.
It was very cold, numbingly so, and as it closed over her head she grabbed for
him, wrapping her arms around his body, ready to sink to the bottom with him.
Instead he kicked, pushing them up so that they broke the surface, his arm
clamped around hers as she struggled. "Jesus, woman!" he snapped. "When did we have to become Romeo and Juliet?”
15 likes
“Jesus, woman!" he snapped. "When did we have to become Romeo and Juliet?” 10 likes