Start by marking “No” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
It’s winter and little bear doesn’t want to go to sleep. He’d rather play, and he’s sure he won’t get cold outside, no matter how long the winter is, how deep the snow might get, or how hard the storm might blow. Until, that is, little bear finds himself all alone in a snowstorm. Claudia Rueda’s classic picture-book illustrations, with their simple, strong lines, shapes, a ...more
Published July 29th 2010 by Groundwood Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No

arcobaleno
Una storia che si costruisce da sola, grazie soprattutto alle immagini, semplici ma essenziali, nei (non)colori dei bianchi e dei grigi della neve e del silenzio. Immagini da leggere e interpretare. E con un efficace messaggio di libertà e autonomia.

p.s. dopo averla letta con un gruppetto di bambini, una bimba mi chiede il libro per andarlo a mostrare alla mamma; ritorna, dopo poco, insieme ad un'amichetta e mi chiede di rileggerla di nuovo.
(Dolcezze... personificate!)
Karen
Feb 23, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. He could read the cover.

This book is OK. It is repetitive, which isn't necessarily bad, except that if you want to be repetitive, it's a good idea to add some humor, either in the text or the illustrations. Both the text and the illustrations were a little too straightforward to allow for giggles. Too bad.

Bridget R. Wilson
Winter is coming, but Little Bear doesn't want to hibernate. He tells his mother so with a resounding "No!" For every objection, he has a ready answer. Even when he gives in to winter and hibernation, he makes it his idea, not his mother's.

What I thought: What a cute book! Little Bear could give some kids competition. Have you ever met a kid like him? Well, I have. Rueda has captured children's attitudes exactly. This will be a fun book to share in story time. I'll ask the kids what they would s
Erin
Jan 17, 2014 Erin added it
Shelves: childrens, 2y, 3y, 2014
It's ok. The little bear doesn't want to hibernate for winter, and so argues with his mother every step of the way. In the end baby bear decides hibernating might not be such a bad idea.

We all enjoyed it for a read through once or twice (and the mama/baby interactions sure hit close to home for me!), but this isn't one that our 3 year old has been wanting to revisit over and over.
Kaitlin
Oct 27, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
This book would be so relatable for kids. I know this is how I act still sometimes and I definitely acted this way as a kid.
Fjóla
Feb 23, 2013 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds, read-aloud
I loved the graphics of this book. The cover caught my eye, it sort of stood out at the library, and the story is fine. My son is of age to know that what baby bear says and does may not be right, that mommy probably knows best, so the thread is mostly predictable but sweet nonetheless. But, the pictures are very cool in their simpleness. I especially liked a couple of pictures where the angle was from above, showing perspective with only a silhouette. A very nice touch!

This is pretty much an ea
Tracy Morton
Nov 26, 2015 Tracy Morton rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A bear cub heads out into the scary world on his own.
Tanya
Oct 01, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it
Beautiful!
Madison
Jan 26, 2015 Madison rated it it was amazing
Cute!
Anna
Oct 04, 2010 Anna rated it it was ok
I bear doesn't want to hibernate for winter. He leaves his mother, running off to play, until he realizes he's alone and comes running home again.

This book is okay, it's straightforward (although the story line is a little boring). The illustrations are done on the computer and therefore very graphic. The boldness of the illustrations make it a good choice for story time. It would work well for toddler story time, one-on-one or an individual quiet read too.

Ages: 0-5
Ina
Feb 23, 2013 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
A sweet story about a stubborn little cub who does not want to go to sleep, and has an answer for each of Mother Bear's arguments...until he gets scared in the middle of a blinding snowstorm and makes his way back to the safety of his mother and his warm cave. My storytime audience could identify with Baby Bear's not wanting to go to bed...and laughed as he says when returning to the cave, " Mamma, I'm back. Winter is very long and you might get lonely."
The Library Lady
Sep 13, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
I-don't-wanna-go-to-sleep is the cry of children everywhere, even little bears apparently, and Rueda captures this well. The artwork is lovely, using muted blues and browns with white to capture the beginning of winter forest. I am thinking about using this for a "winter is coming" story time and when the preschool teachers want winter is coming/hibernation books this is a book I'll be likely to hand them.
Kate
Jun 17, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
I'll have to include this one as part of a winter storytime. The mother bear's wisdom at "allowing" the baby bear to stay out for the winter only to let him come back on his own "to keep her company" is keen and logical. I do worry about readin books that allude to bear's hybernation since, as many young children know, bears don't technically hybernate.
John
Oct 14, 2010 John rated it really liked it
I often read aloud picture books to kindergarten that have two characters and simple dialogue. Elephant and Piggie works very well. I am one character. A student is the other. There's nothing better than a six-year-old "becoming" Piggie or Elephant. I'm going to try it out with NO. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edna
Jan 30, 2011 Edna rated it really liked it
Mama Bear tries to coax Little Bear into the cave to sleep for the winter, but Little Bear wants to stay out and play in the snow until a storm blows in and he can't see anything, not even Mama Bear.
Kim
Oct 25, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Clear digital illustrations stand out against snowy white background. Young children asserting independence from a parent will see themselves in little bear, who doesn't want to go to sleep for winter.
Anna
Jan 02, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Rueda replays the timeless conflict of a toddler's insistance on asserting their independence with a fabulous PB "pay-off" on the last pages. Beautiful graphic illustrations.
Colby Sharp
Aug 26, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it really liked it
The first time I read it I thought 3 stars, but after hearing my 4 year old read it aloud to me I had to give it another star. Beautiful book when read aloud by a young reader.
Jennifer Kelley
Jan 21, 2013 Jennifer Kelley rated it liked it
little bear doesn't. want to sleep for the winter. He has an answer for all his mother's reasons--for awhile at least. This book is cute for a winter storytime.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Illustrator/author Claudia Rueda does an amazing job with simple text and bold graphic illustrations. Never get tired of this book.
The Styling Librarian
Aww, such a cute little bear story that syncs right up with those stubborn little ones who are developing their voice.
Tracie
Mar 10, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Instead of hibernating, a young bear cub stays up to play in the snow. Simple and sweet.
Christiana
Sep 16, 2010 Christiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet-pic-books
I'm blinded by the cuteness of this book both in illustration and narrative.
Brenna Call
Aug 27, 2011 Brenna Call rated it it was ok
I liked the sparse pictures but the story left me wanting more.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 26, 2015 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: My daughter
Edward Sullivan
Jul 10, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mother always knows best. Delightful!
Janell
Oct 04, 2010 Janell rated it really liked it
perfect for winter coming storytime
Marge
May 01, 2011 Marge added it
bear in winter
Renee
Nov 24, 2010 Renee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-K
3.5
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016