Start by marking “Doggy Slippers” as Want to Read:
Doggy Slippers

Doggy Slippers

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Children everywhere love pets, and some are even lucky enough to get their own. In Doggy Slippers Jorge Luján offers a collection of poems about pets inspired by children. Luján turned funny and touching anecdotes his young readers sent him about the role of pets in their lives into fresh poems, selecting the 12 best for this book. His status as one of the most important p ...more
Published July 29th 2010 by Groundwood Books (first published November 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Doggy Slippers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggy Slippers

While a fan of his work and its pensive and perverse streaks, this one didn't get my whole love - yes, I know kids sent in the material and he chose from that, but the bit about the turtle falling down the stairs (hello dead turtle or suffering turtle with cracked shell) annoyed me. I can just imagine some kid chucking his turtle down the stairs now with all the life imitates art and kids take things much more literally than one would think...with all the animal abuse in the world, even somethin ...more
Janet Squires
Fish, lizards, birds, cats, dogs or something more exotic -- Children love pets. Lujan with the help of translator Amado make the most of that bond with this collection of 12 poems drawn from the lives of his young readers.

Lujan built this collection of free verse poems on the suggestions he invited children to share. A bunny offers her young owner sympathy. A dog named Littlekins is too large for his name. A boy and his monkey, a turtle, a marmot, a parakeet, and a hamster and more - each has
Melissa Mcavoy
Delightful, sophisticated, childlike poems are complimented by stylish and massively appealing naive drawings. Born of a surprising Internet collaboration between Jorge Lujan and Mexican and Argentinian children, the twelve free verse poems are fresh, closely observed and often very funny. Each short poem merits a generous double page spread filled with the simple, yet astonishingly rich oil-pastel, pencil and wash drawings. Isol has been selected twice as a Hans Christian Anderson Award finalis ...more
Pet-centered and somewhat esoteric poetry written with the help of children.
Children from all across Latin America wrote letters to the author, who selected and shaped their words into poems. The result captures many unique, and sometimes universal, experiences of pet ownership/companionship. Isol's muted palettes of browns and expressive linear, scratchy illustrations are full of personality. The endpapers are like "rear window" - showing vignettes of all the different pets and owners - delightful.

Jorge Lujan is a Latin American poetry currently living in Mexico City.
I LOVE this book! The author used stories that children sent him about their pets to make these awesome poems about pets. He really captured the voice of children in his poems--there's something so innocent and truthful (and funny!) about them. They both crack me up and fill me with a particular joy. The illustrations add to the poems and make it an all around good book for both kids and adults!
Collaboration of poems sent in from children in Latin America via the internet. One or two poems are truly inspired and stuck with me. I wish the illustrations were as colorful as the poems - I found them so drab they were almost depressing.
So, so cute... my only complaint is that it's extremely short, but the adorable mini poems about the pets of kids from Mexico City make up for that. It is sweet and reminds me to be grateful for the important things in life.
Author Jorge Lujan sent a message over the Internet to Latin American children asking them about their pets. Their touching, hilarious, and funny replies turned into this short book of poems.
Maggi Rohde
Absolutely charming poetry about pets, based on children's own work. A monumental achievement, and a worthy purchase for all elementary schools teaching about pets.
Non-narrative. Succinct. Kids and how they relate to their many different kinds of pets.
Edward Sullivan
A charming collection of poems by Latin American children about their pets.
Olivia Wisniewski
Olivia Wisniewski marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Fatima marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Aspasia marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Thais Camacho
Thais Camacho marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jenn added it
Jul 21, 2014
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Michelle Pegram
Michelle Pegram marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Also known as Jorge Elias Lujan. ...more
More about Jorge Luján...
Stephen and the Beetle Moví la mano / I Moved My Hand Colors! ¡Colores! Numeralia Rooster/Gallo