Start by marking “Doggy Slippers” as Want to Read:
Doggy Slippers

Doggy Slippers

When award-winning poet Jorge Lujan wrote to children all over Latin America asking them about their pets, he received many funny, interesting and touching replies. The children described all kinds of pets -- not only dogs, cats and rabbits, but turtles, parakeets and even a marmot. They wrote about what their pets looked like, the amusing things that they did, what they w ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Groundwood Books (first published November 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Doggy Slippers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggy Slippers

Brittany
Feb 27, 2017 Brittany rated it did not like it
I typically do not like poetry, so I'm not really sure why I picked this up. Looked cute. Sadly it was not very good.
Susan
Sep 29, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
While a fan of his work and its pensive and perverse streaks, this one didn't get my whole love - yes, I know kids sent in the material and he chose from that, but the bit about the turtle falling down the stairs (hello dead turtle or suffering turtle with cracked shell) annoyed me. I can just imagine some kid chucking his turtle down the stairs now with all the life imitates art and kids take things much more literally than one would think...with all the animal abuse in the world, even somethin ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
May 03, 2012 Melissa Mcavoy rated it it was amazing
Delightful, sophisticated, childlike poems are complimented by stylish and massively appealing naive drawings. Born of a surprising Internet collaboration between Jorge Lujan and Mexican and Argentinian children, the twelve free verse poems are fresh, closely observed and often very funny. Each short poem merits a generous double page spread filled with the simple, yet astonishingly rich oil-pastel, pencil and wash drawings. Isol has been selected twice as a Hans Christian Anderson Award finalis ...more
Robin
Aug 01, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Children from all across Latin America wrote letters to the author, who selected and shaped their words into poems. The result captures many unique, and sometimes universal, experiences of pet ownership/companionship. Isol's muted palettes of browns and expressive linear, scratchy illustrations are full of personality. The endpapers are like "rear window" - showing vignettes of all the different pets and owners - delightful.

Jorge Lujan is a Latin American poetry currently living in Mexico City.
Janet Squires
Fish, lizards, birds, cats, dogs or something more exotic -- Children love pets. Lujan with the help of translator Amado make the most of that bond with this collection of 12 poems drawn from the lives of his young readers.

Lujan built this collection of free verse poems on the suggestions he invited children to share. A bunny offers her young owner sympathy. A dog named Littlekins is too large for his name. A boy and his monkey, a turtle, a marmot, a parakeet, and a hamster and more - each has
Aug 30, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! The author used stories that children sent him about their pets to make these awesome poems about pets. He really captured the voice of children in his poems--there's something so innocent and truthful (and funny!) about them. They both crack me up and fill me with a particular joy. The illustrations add to the poems and make it an all around good book for both kids and adults!
Elisabeth
Feb 12, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Collaboration of poems sent in from children in Latin America via the internet. One or two poems are truly inspired and stuck with me. I wish the illustrations were as colorful as the poems - I found them so drab they were almost depressing.
Faith
Oct 18, 2012 Faith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, poetry
So, so cute... my only complaint is that it's extremely short, but the adorable mini poems about the pets of kids from Mexico City make up for that. It is sweet and reminds me to be grateful for the important things in life.
Maggi Rohde
Dec 24, 2010 Maggi Rohde rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry, pets
Absolutely charming poetry about pets, based on children's own work. A monumental achievement, and a worthy purchase for all elementary schools teaching about pets.
Rebecca
Sep 21, 2016 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Not interesting to me.
Donalyn
Author Jorge Lujan sent a message over the Internet to Latin American children asking them about their pets. Their touching, hilarious, and funny replies turned into this short book of poems.
Edward Sullivan
Dec 18, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
A charming collection of poems by Latin American children about their pets.
Savannah Hendricks
Mar 14, 2016 Savannah Hendricks rated it liked it
Interesting idea, not sure how well it works as a picture book.
Roberto Almeida
Roberto Almeida rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2016
Toffer Lehnherr
Toffer Lehnherr rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Sarah W
Sarah W rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Ed Pulido
Ed Pulido rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Eugene Evasco
Eugene Evasco rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Mariaña
Mariaña rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Jamie Forrest
Jamie Forrest rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Theresa Grissom
Theresa Grissom rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2014
Harold Underdown
Harold Underdown rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2010
Denz
Denz rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Miss Corene
Miss Corene rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
S
S rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2015
Jj
Jj rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Also known as Jorge Elias Lujan. ...more
More about Jorge Luján...