Start by marking “Petit, the Monster” as Want to Read:
Petit, the Monster

Petit, the Monster

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Petit is puzzled. He’s a good boy when he plays with his dog. But he’s a bad boy when he pulls a girl’s hair. He can be very nice to his grandfather but terrible to pigeons. It’s good when he takes care of his toys, but very bad when he doesn’t want to share them. In short, the world is mysterious to Petit. It’s exhausting trying to figure it all out. This book by the thre ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Groundwood Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Petit, the Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Petit, the Monster

Elvira
Bra och mitt i prick och så. Illustrationerna ör smarta och innebörden är påtaglig men inte glasklar. Känns lite som att Isol har privata små skämt hon vill dela med oss men inte riktigt lyckas...okej nej jag vet inte vad jag babblar! Hemskt söt och fin. Lättläst, smart och rakt på sak. Barnen tas i beaktande och samtidigt som de kan känna igen sig kan äldre läsa mellan raderna. Passar både stor som liten!
Pamela
Not exactly the strongest story in the world (there are lots of other books that deal with the same bad/good dichotomy in a much better way), but it was really ruined for me by the lack of commas. I don't particularly think I can blame that entirely on the author, as this was in translation, but it made most of the book incomprehensible.

Example: "For example, why if Gregory is such a horrible boy did he feel sorry for him the other day?" ??? This sounds like Gregory (the horrible boy) felt sorr
Robin
Petit struggles with whether he is good or bad -- and sometimes it's confusing. For example, he's bad when he tells lies, but good at storytelling. These nuances are presented from a child's perspective, and capture that sense of confusion and trying to figure this crazy world out. Sometimes he means to help . . . but things turn out wrong. So Petit even wonders if he's a monster . . . though his dog certainly doesn't think so! And neither does his mom. A reassuring ending to natural childhood a ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

A boy ponders how he can do good things (play nicely with his dog) and also be capable of doing bad things (not sharing his toys): is he good or is he a monster? I feel like this story could have been going somewhere intriguing, but it never quite mustered up the energy to get there. Isol's illustrations are energetic and clever, though.
Lady Lioness
The illustrations are not to my taste, although I liked how Petit appears to have a halo during his 'good' moments and a devil's shadow during his 'bad' moments. This would be good for an independent type reader and does a nice job of conveying the conflicting emotions children may feel as they start to define their moral code. However, it's a bit open-ended so it's more food for thought than a lesson learned.
Melanie
Petit is a little boy still learning how to behave. He wonders why a usually good boy sometimes does bad things. His mother wonders the same thing.

This books seems a little backwards as illustrated by the last page:

"Mother is good because she understands and bad when she sends me to bed without dessert."

A mother is not "bad" when she sends a child to bed without dessert. She is making a parental decision.
Kristina Lareau
The illustrations are dynamic and fun but the story itself doesn't resolve satisfactorily. It gains momentum as Petit tries to figure out if he is good or bad, but then loses all of that velocity as the last two spreads deny the readers--and Petit--an answer to the question he has been asking throughout the book.
Heather
Very clever, and the pictures have some depth. I like the semi-hidden shadows of a halo, or devil horns, or a wolf, etc. I missed some of these the first time through. That's why I love hearing someone else's reaction - they often mention something I failed to notice. Thanks, Ginny! :)
Elen
Tyvärr är jag inte helsåld på Isols stil, hennes illustrationer är uttänkta och smarta men de får mig inte så nyfiken på mer. Men hon är ju inte dålig, så ta er ändå en titt.
Minirecension på bokpotaten.
Donalyn
Conflicted by the good and bad sides of his nature, Petit wonders if he is a monster. Isol's illusrations add whimsy and depth to this story, which asks, "Am I good or am I bad?
Jim
didn't like this book, but it is a good book.

shows how hard it is to be a kid, or just human, wrestling w/the bad and good w/in ourselves
RobesonBoys
A conversation starter ... why is Petit bad when he lies but good when he tells stories? Great questions from the perspective of a child.
Crystal
Great book showing that we all have the ability to be both bad and good at different times. We are not all one or the other. Cute.
Molly
Liked this one a lot. I think it can be confusing for children, when the attempt to figure out right from wrong.
Tina
good boys sometimes behave badly, award winning book translated, philosophy on an inquiring level but no plot
Joanna
Argentinean author/illustrator is the 2013 Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award Winner (Swedish Arts Council)
Jamie Forrest
I really liked the illustrations and the concept of the story, but the writing did nothing for me.
Edward Sullivan
Conflicted Petit ponders the troubling paradoxes of human behavior. Whimsical and wise.
Lynn
What an odd, interesting little book...
R.
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
Ellen Larsen
Ellen Larsen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Naybeth
Naybeth marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marisol Misenta (Isol) nació en 1972 en Buenos Aires, Argentina. Ilustra, escribe y diseña libros para niños y, paralelamente, transita por diversas disciplinas: plástica (estudió Bellas Artes en la Escuela Nacional "Rogelio Yrurtia"), poesía, historieta e ilustración. Y también por la música: es la voz del trío musical Entre Ríos (que integra junto a Sebastián Carreras y Gabriel Lucena) y forma p ...more
More about Isol...
It's Useful to Have a Duck El Globo Secreto de familia Nocturne: Dream Recipes Beautiful Griselda