Start by marking “Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding” as Want to Read:
Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding

Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding

Kirkus 2010 Best Children's Books selection

The cuisines of many different cultures all over the world include rice and rice pudding. In this title in the Cooking Poems series, Jorge Argueta gives us a bilingual recipe for the classic Latin American version.

From sprinkling the rice into the pot, to adding a waterfall of milk, cinnamon sticks, salt stars and sugar snow, Jorg
Published September 1st 2010 by Libros Tigrillo (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arroz con leche / Rice Pudding

Lindsay
In this poem, a young boy helps cook arroz con leche (rice pudding) and then enjoys eating it with his family. The author uses interesting imagery, and it also takes me back to memories of my mom making arroz con leche (granted, rice pudding is not my favorite, but it's a tradition, like tamales, gorditas, and mole). I also LOVE the illustrations.

I try to incorporate poetry into Spanish and bilingual story time, and this longer cooking poem is a good fit for my planned cooking-themed programs th
Kelly
May 14, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
A printmaking technique which incorporates collage, stamping, and digital elements is used to bring to life the large and full illustrations in this bilingual recipe poem. It will make you want to make rice pudding immediately! The color palette is subtle and not overpowering. This makes you pay more attention to the language and the senses.

This is a great cultural addition to any classroom. Add it to a text set of recipe books, and other books about cooking with family members, or how-to books
Robin
Read this in a storytime about food (along w/Zamarano's Let's Eat and Potluck). Love the sensory details (smells of cinnamon wafting through the house) in the text and images of rice falling like snow . . . there's a bit of magic in this kitchen. First graders really seemed to like it as well, though most didn't know what rice pudding was at the outset.

Text in English and Spanish
Author lives in San Francisco, from El Salvador and has spent much time there
Illustrator from
Rachel
This book was a bilingual poem about making rice pudding, and my son really got into it. The poem has good visual imagery and really helps you to put yourself in the shoes of the little boy making rice pudding with his mama, especially at the end where the author says "The steam rising from the bowls climbs deliciously to the ceiling. I see little chains of hearts and colored ribbons." Recommended for ages 4+, 4 stars.
L13F_Jana Wilkening
This book is gorgeous! It is a recipe for rice pudding (written in Spanish and English) that becomes a true poetic experience. The imagery of the "rainbow flames" hugging the pot or the rice as "fishies" and "white birds" is beautiful. The illustrations that go along with each page capture the imagery beautifully. This book is a great resource for a poetry unit or teaching imagery and descriptive language for use in grades K-8. I LOVED it.
Maureen Milton
Charmingly illustrated with Fernando Vilela's minimal-palette woodblock prints, lyrical Spanish and English poetry delineates a simple recipe for rice pudding ("Salt stars and sugar snow/Are falling from your hand.") prepared by a boy and slurped by his family. Asterisks within the text indicate stages where adult participation or supervision is needed.
Amanda
Mar 24, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations, interesting poem and description of what cooking rice pudding is like. Very sensory and good for adjectives as a learning lesson. We haven't tried to make it yet, but I wish there was a recipe page also because reading the entire story to get it might make it messy. My 5 yr old son loved it and wanted it read 2 nights in a row and wanted to make it the next day.
Patricia
Jan 31, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
One of my Waldorf third graders today said of this cooking poem, "It must have been written by a hippie!" I'm not convinced that he knows exactly what he's talking about, but there's some truth to it in the sense that this cooking poem has tons of nature imagery. I think I'd use it again, but not extensively. I just need to make arroz con leche with my students, now, to complete the learning!
Laura Sims
May 27, 2013 Laura Sims rated it really liked it
This picture book is actually a Bilingual poem book about a recipe for rice pudding with cinnamon. The characters in the illustrations (which are a combination of ink & watercolor) clearly are enjoying the treat. A recipe is provided, and readers will find themselves wanting to eat some of the delectable treat!
Dora
A 2011 Americas Commended Title. A text written in poetry form about making 'arroz con leche'/rice pudding. While reading this text, the first thing that came to mind is a great example of expository text. Its bilingual text exposes the reader to a variety of sensory language. Great add to any classroom library!
Donalyn
Nov 26, 2010 Donalyn rated it really liked it
Told in both Spanish and English, this poem follows a young boy who finds happiness and magic by cooking his favorite dish, rice pudding. The author provides step-by-step instructions (of sorts) for making rice pudding through the poem.
Michelle
Feb 09, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children who love cooking and food
Shelves: español
This is actually a rather magical children's story, and probably the book I've enjoyed the best so far in my attempts to learn Spanish. I'm pretty sure the recipe it describes would make delicious rice pudding as well.
Laura Salas
Jan 22, 2011 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, children-s
Love the imagery.

In the kitching it is raining
little white grain drops.

The water splashing from the tap
makes me feel like
there is a creek flowing through the kitchen.

In the kitchen there is a rainbow
hugging the pot.

When you pour it into the pot
the milk becomes a waterfall.
Jayanne
Feb 18, 2011 Jayanne rated it really liked it
Made me hungry
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
sweet and rhythmic - a cooking poem in spanish and english
Dolores
Mar 12, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it
A good bilingual story with great illustrations, and it's a recipe too.
GraceAnne
GraceAnne rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2010
Stella
Stella rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Sofia and Francine Dines
Sofia and Francine Dines rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2010
Alicia
Nov 28, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Fantastic resource for teaching metaphors, imagery, or "how to".
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Brennan
Brennan rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Jenny Ng
Jenny Ng rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Erika Crowl
Erika Crowl rated it really liked it
May 25, 2017
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Marie Lejeune
Marie Lejeune rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Yedid Minjares
Yedid Minjares rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2017