Start by marking “The Gentleman and the Rogue” as Want to Read:
The Gentleman and the Rogue

The Gentleman and the Rogue

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,254 ratings  ·  203 reviews
A lad from the streets meets a lord of the manor...

When Crimean war veteran Sir Alan Watleigh goes searching for sex, he never imagines the street rat he brings home for one last bit of pleasure in his darkest hour will be the man who hauls him back from the edge of the grave.

A night of meaningless sex turns into an offer of permanent employment. As Alan’s valet, Jem offer...more
Published March 17th 2010 by Loose Id LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentleman and the Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentleman and the Rogue

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara AllenSnowball in Hell by Josh LanyonWhistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
1st out of 445 books — 720 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
135th out of 2,198 books — 2,227 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
Note: This review was edited because I inadvertently left out one of the authors when I was raving about this book, and it's so, so wonderful that both should be given credit where credit is due.

I’m going to start this off by saying that even if you don’t like the M/M genre, please read my review anyway, because I found this book to be such a great story that it’s worth skipping over certain aspects of the genre if you’re not comfortable with them, namely anal sex, in order to experience this s...more
Ingela
Written August 7, 2014

3.7 Stars - A light and cozy historical gay romance but also a good novel with more..

I have for some time thought about to soonish pick up and read this historical M/M from an author (Bonnie Dee) I enjoyed some m/f romances by earlier. It also felt like an nice novel to listening to...even if it is yet another "rent boy" romance (seems to be a favorite genre among historical M/M romances!!??).

A good one....chuckle-worthy, and enjoying yummy.
I have a sort of old-fas...more
Nick Pageant
Oct 02, 2014 Nick Pageant rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody!
A jolly good Regency BR with Mishy, Alona, and Mark.

Oh, how I love this book! There's something about Regency that makes my toes curl in delight and this one may have curled them permanently.

Plot concerns a rent boy named Jem... Jem, Jem, Jem...

description

Sorry, lost my train of thought. I love Jem. I mean, I LOVE him. Jem is a perfectly written character. He's funny, sexy, and a big fan o' the cock. Did I mention that I love Jem?

Jem meets up with the suicidal war veteran, Sir Alan Watleigh, and, through...more
DarienMoya
^^ NO LONGER A GENTLEMAN!^^

I am a huge fan of historical romance and a huge fan of M/M loving, you put them together, I become extremely happy, and I was extremely happy about this book. It has a bit of everything, the evil villain, the brooding hero and his upbeat and beautiful lover. The sex is just sweet and erotic at the same, plus our upbeat and beautiful lover has to come in and save our brooding hero, I call that a very good read.

Sir Alan Watleigh is home from the war, and as to be expec...more
SheReadsALot
I love rent boy stories. But you know what I enjoy even more? Great rent boy stories!! Paired with my fave historical time period (Regency), let's just say I was a happy lady.

Sir Alan is injured physically and mentally from war. He wanted to have one more night's pleasure before meeting his maker and decided to pay for a male prostitute. Who he picked up that night changed his life for the good. He and Jem have their night but there was something about him that kept pulling him towards the young...more
Bookwatcher
Sep 08, 2010 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: DarienMoya
Don’t kill me, but my tag to this book is “Adventure Erotic Historical Romance”

Yes, really long one, and let me explain why…

Jem (19 years old, and a whore) after a night with the handsome (and ex Captain) Alan get the change to be his valet. Jem, obviously, is direct and know very well what a men need to be aroused, so he will do it to Alan… a lot… and I love that! You know how historical romances are boring with all the protocol the characters must obey to be accept in society? Well, Alan can t...more
ElaineY
If there's any book that could draw me back to historicals, TG&TR would be the one!

This book engaged me from the beginning - Baronet Alan Watleigh decides to give in to his forbidden desires just once, before committing suicide. He has decided life is not just worth living and I was hooked right up to when he discovers he has someone he wants to live it with.

Jem, his savior, is very, very lovable. Street-smart, as expected for a male whore, but with an innate sense of goodness. He possesses...more
Ami
Sigh, this was charming historical romance -- and this opinion comes from a non-historical romance reader, mind you.

I was recommended by Heather C for this. I had to admit, language wise, I struggled a bit. Some of the words here were pretty 'heavily' uhm, old English? I don't know how to explain it, but that was how it felt for me. I'm an ESL, and I am more familiar with 'contemporary' English. Usually, that would be a reason for me to stop. But it didn't happen with this case.

Why?

Because the...more
Michael
Wonderful, fun, sexy and romantic...simply a great read.

Being a huge fan of MM historical romances I am often overly critical of these types of stories. It’s easy for an author to take a “straight” storyline, change the female to male and present a MM romance. This book does not suffer from that problem. This story is told with respect to male characteristics, appreciation of the era and wonderful use of language.

Alan Watleigh is a physically and emotionally damaged war vet. He’s in a very dark...more
Emma Sea
A charming historical m/m romance, and my new favourite with a 19th-century setting.

Sir Alan is heartsick with both personal loss, and denial over his "dirty animalistic" attraction to men. Jem is the gutter rat who persuades him not to be so worked up about liking cock. Jem has learned to take his pleasures when he may: a dry place to sleep, a full belly, a strong man's body. He functions as a cross between best friend, valet, court fool, and errand boy, and quickly wins Sir Alan over.

The grow...more
Giulio
One of my first historical m/m romance, I got hooked since the first pages.
Set in the 19th-century London this book tells the story of a rent boy (Jem) who meets a noble and closeted man (Sir Alan). What was intended to be a one night stand turns into an offer of permanent employment as the Lord’s valet; after a slow and wonderfully depicted building relation Jem and Alan become at last lovers and companions. There’s a really intriguing secondary plot with a scary-dirty-evil-doctor villain.
Some...more
Kaje Harper
This story has great characters, believable period detail, and an interesting plot, resulting in a very readable and engaging historical romance. Jem is a 19 year old male prostitute, picked up off the streets by Sir Alan for one night of indulging Alan's long-denied need for a man's touch, before Alan plans to commit suicide. But Jem is no down-trodden silent body to be used. His spirit, his humor and his zest for life have survived all that he has gone through on the streets. By the end of the...more
Leslie Nicoll
I really enjoyed this. Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon are becoming must-buy authors for me, especially with their historicals.

This has some similarities to Seducing Stephen, with an older man who is unhappy with life meeting a younger man who shows him what joy and happiness is. In this story, the older man is Sir Alan Watleigh who has returned from the Iberian War, injured and ill and also family-less. The younger man is Jem, a prostitute that he picks up, intending on one night of sexual release...more
Em
This was the first book I've read by Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon and it was a very enjoyable historical romance, with a dark twist half way through. Sir Alan, having recently returned from war due to both mental and physical injuries wants to end his life. However before he does he gives in to his forbidden desires and enjoys the pleasures of rent boy Jem. After one night of sweet erotic sex with the beautiful boy Sir Alan finds himself coming alive again and no longer has thoughts of killing hi...more
Barks & Bites
I read this for JERR's newsletter and cannot post it here but I will say I loved everything about it. If you’re looking for a moving love story you simply can’t go wrong with this book. This is how all love stories should be written, IMO. I loved brooding Alan, loved wise-ass, cheerful Jem and together they were intense. So good, I hated to come to the end.

Heather C
I'm not a fan of "rent boy" stories but in a historical setting, they some how work for me. This one started out all hot and sweaty and ended up turning into a bit of a thriller type story. Didn't see that coming...but I liked it.

Yes, I usually prefer more sexual tension in my romances but these guys were hot and sweet.

I LOVED Jem!...more
Mel
Oct 20, 2010 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mel by: Nightcolors
Former Commander – now Sir- Alan Watleigh is fed up with life. Having lived through the horrors of Badajoz, only to come home and learn that his family died of a terrible fever, and constantly chastising himself for his 'sinful perversities', Alan has given up the fight. On his self proclaimed last night on earth, he allows himself one indulgence: a night with a male prostitute. His eye is caught by the vibrant Jem whom he takes home. But the night has many surprises and Jem turns out to be more...more
J.L. Merrow
Oh, this was fun! Read a lengthy excerpt from the start of the book and was hooked - I had to dash out and buy it! And the rest of it didn't disappoint. Regency rentboy meets toff - do I have to say more?
Some wonderful turns of (profane) phrase from the lovable eponymous rogue, Jem, and a colourful supporting cast.

Some of the slang used seemed a little suspect to my admittedly ignorant ear, (ETA: but turned out to have been thoroughly researched - see comments!) but the whole thing was told wit...more
Julz
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Crap, already bought this but HUGE 75% price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US! 3/22/14!
MandyM
Lovely historical m/m romance about Sir Alan Watleigh, a veteran of the Crimean War, who is sick in body and mind from the atrocities he witnessed there. His preference for men is just another thing he hates about himself but he decides to indulge in one night with a male prostitute before removing himself altogether from this world. But the young man he meets, Jem, is full of life and optimism despite his rough and tough existence, and Alan finds himself prolonging their acquaintance.

This is a...more
Erastes
There’s not many times that I finish a book with a huge smile on my face, but this achieved that. I guess you can tell up front you are in for a good review then!

It’s a delight.

What? You want more? Bah!

When I read this writing duo’s last book “Seducing Stephen” I knew that anything else they wrote would be an auto buy for me. My faith in that was backed up with “The Gentleman and the Rogue” because it delivers on just about every count.

In a way it’s a bit of a re-telling of Scheherazade. Alan Wa...more
ttg
Jan 23, 2013 ttg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, reviews
This book is like an m/m version of a lovingly produced (and very leisurely paced) BBC production. But although a bit slow, it's still an enjoyable historical romance, and would probably meet the needs well for anyone wanting some good Regency-era romance.

The story focuses on depressed Sir Alan, sent back from the battlefield with his injuries and still haunted by what he saw. Feeling like life can’t get any lower, he requests the company of a male prostitute before planning to kill himself. In...more
Snowtulip
3.5-4.0 (keep going back and forth)

I must admit that there was a slow start at the beginning of this book, but I am so glad I pursued. Alan is a tortured soul with atrocities and loss that he has had to endure, but must come to terms with his life and look toward a future. Jem is exactly what he needs, a light in the darkness with his own demons to deal with. The additional plot of Anne really brought the characters together and provided more depth to the storyline. I enjoyed seeing Jem and Alan...more
MiʂħүJѻ (Cory's Forever)
Nothing like getting pressured into an impromptu BR with new BR buddies and loving the book. And the buddies. And I only needed my hand held for a little while.

The audio gets 5 stars too.

Review to come.
Jenre
I really enjoyed the last historical story, Seducing Stephen, by this talented pair of authors and so I was looking forward to this book especially since it contains one of my favourite themes of the gentleman who falls in love with the prostitute. I'm glad to say that this story didn't disappoint in the slightest.

Male whore, Jem, is picked up one evening by a mysterious gentleman and take to the man's house. The man in question is Alan, who has returned from the Peninsula war a broken man both...more
Elfscribe
The story is that Sir Alan, a gentleman, home from witnessing war's horrors and weary of life, picks up a street urchin, Jem, for a last night of pleasure before he offs himself but finds that the exuberant youth captures his fancy and eventually his heart, causing him to want to live again. That actually happens early on in the story and then there is a secondary plot in which they both gallop to the rescue of a young girl held in the clutches of a maniacal doctor who they fear will do the girl...more
deirdre
Mar 23, 2014 deirdre rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This was GREAT!!
Really great!!!

Great characters . . .
Great descriptions... I could 'see' the characters, the places

The growing romance.... It was nice for a change to read the growing romance, no insta love here.
I could not help but route for Jem . . .
A healing comfort read . . . .
And the bad guy?? Creepy!!! Ugh! The tension at the climax of the story was GAH!!
And family . . .how lucky is she . . .to have so many grown ups just loving her and wanting her happiness :)
Aww . . .

And speaking of...more
Lauraadriana
First Historical m/m romance that I've read, really liked. This is the story of Jem and Alan. Alan is an veteran of the Crimean War, who is terribly emotionally scarred and has decided not to keep fighting anymore. He is also not comfortable with his sexuality and feel an enourmous sense of guilt from it.

On the anniversary of Bajadoz he decides on impulse to take Jem (a prostitute) home with him...from there things start to change for them both...for the better...

Sweet...albeit Alan is incredibl...more
Trisha Harrington
I really liked this book, it had a great pace and the characters were well written. The reason I gave this book 4 instead of 5 is because Jem was a prostitute. I knew this before I read the book but it marked it down from a 5 for me. Alan and Jem made a good couple in the book but they lacked something for me that I cannot quite put my finger on. I really did enjoy the book though and it was well written. I liked the fact that it was realistic to the time it was written about and not trying to s...more
Crimean War? 6 33 Mar 17, 2014 04:01AM
The Backlot Gay B...: The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon 1 14 May 10, 2013 09:27AM
  • Convincing Arthur (Convincing, #1)
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Gentleman's Keeper
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Kindred Hearts
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Promise of Tomorrow
  • Whistling in the Dark
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • False Colors
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

Writing childish stories for my own pleasure led to majoring in English at college. Like most English majors, I dreamed of writing a novel, but at that time in my life didn't have the...more
More about Bonnie Dee...
Bone Deep Seducing Stephen After the End A Hearing Heart Shifters' Captive (Magical Ménages, #1)