Long Ago in France: The Years in Dijon

Long Ago in France: The Years in Dijon

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"Long Ago in France" is Fisher's exquisitely evocative, deliciously candid memoir of her three-year stay in Dijon. It is a delightful journey backward - in the grandest of company - into the voluptuous, genteel world that has vanished forever.
Published February 1st 1992 by Touchstone Books (first published January 1st 1991)

Jeanette
I didn't know anything about Dijon except that a sandwich isn't a sandwich till you Poupon it. There's a lot more to it than just the moutard. This is the city where Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was initiated into the world of food and wine as sacrament, to be savored and lingered over and held in reverence. She arrived in Dijon as a newlywed in 1929 and stayed three years. This was the beginning of her gastronomical education and set the course for her future as a food writer extraordinaire.

I'v...more
Nicole
No idea why it took me this long to read MFK Fisher. Again, another windfall of the street, my eternal gratitude to the neighbors leave their dusty libraries to San Francisco.
In reading MFKF, I see what food writers today are attempting--and sometimes failing--to express. Much of the pleasure is simply in her tone, her voice, and her innumerable excitements of being young and in love.
Even better, there's an impassioned note scrawled on the inside cover from the previous owner, detailing his ow...more
Cathy
Maybe it was her writing style, maybe it was the lack on continuity through out the book, I don't know but I just found this one to be only OK. I was surprised as I had heard lots about M.F.K. Fisher...I guess I was expecting something else. Aside from that it was kind of neat hearing about France in the late 1920's time period....
Unbridled
What a charmer this woman was - sharp, smart, elegant, and a touch of a snob too. In short, an easy woman to fall in love with and a very talented writer to read.
Sheena
I gave this 4 stars, but to be honest I never finished it. I made it about halfway through. It was well written and mildly enjoyable to me, but I just wasn't getting much out of it personally. I'm not really all that interested in France, much less Dijon. And I had never read anything by M.K. before, so I had no previous attachment or affinity for the author. But if you like gastro-type reading, reading personal accounts about life in France, etc... then I think this would be a book you would li...more
Clare
Couldn't get engaged in the story. Too much detail about stuff that didn't interest me, and not enough about what did!
Amy
This book is moderately interesting although I much prefer Julia Child's My Life in France.
Lynne-marie
This book revisits an early time in M.F.K. Fisher's life . . . when she had just married and her husband was cooking in Dijon . . . from the viewpoint of her 80's. We are given to understand that some of the material has been mined before in a different tone in her earlier, more lime-lighted books. This is a quiet, reflective story of many walks through the city, many meals eaten and many thoughts pondered. It does me so much good to know that someone who was known for her verve and vivacity can...more
Grace
Nov 13, 2009 Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Food people, France people
Recommended to Grace by: Giovanna
Shelves: 1930s, france, food, bicultural
Three stars seems like too few to give this book, but the fact is that I liked it. I don't know if I would say that "I really liked it".

This book was very description-heavy, which seems appropriate because the foods she described were also very heavy! But it made it hard to get into. I think this book should be read slowly and carefully. You need to give it a lot of attention.

Anyway, it was good, and it her descriptions of toilet facilities certainly made me appreciate my own living situation!
Linda
Astute, evocative observations of people, of food, of the Burgundian town of Dijon. I admire how, like a true memoirist, M.F.K. Fisher writes for herself (always the best audience), a collage of telling impressions and recollections. I love her wit and intelligence, her insight, and her artful economy of words. Yes, Fisher is a food writer, but she is also a keen observer of human nature, which gives her writing depth.
Sandy
I gave this one star because no stars isn't an option. I would actually rate it a minus star, as 'absolutely hated it'. The only reason I finished the book was that I had read so many positive comments about the great MFK Fisher that I kept expecting it to improve. Which never happened. Her style of writing is so annoying that I will NEVER read another one of her books.
David
As a young woman, Fisher lived in Dijon from 1929-1932; this short memoir recounts her time there. She writes candidly, sketching the place, the food, and both good and bad personality traits of those she met (herself included). Remarkable sketches they are, too: brief, telling, and drawn in a few quick lines. I'll seek more of her books when next I'm at the Strand.
Lisago5
Now I know where Laurie Colwin learned to write. I'm sure Julia Child gained her inspiration here too. Food, travel, characters you don't see much anymore, and good writing . . . everything I need. This book sets me on a course to read her other books, most of which came before this one.
Delphine
This is my first MFK Fisher book. I can't say I absolutely loved it but I did really enjoy reading it. The writing is a bit sloppy in places, and it can get dry. However, the little portraits scattered throughout are memorable and touching and make this book worth reading.
Sonya Mendoza
Apr 07, 2012 Sonya Mendoza rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like books on travel and food
Shelves: travel
The first half of the book seemed more of a description of the author's surroundings, and thus I found it a bit dry. I enjoyed the second half a lot more, which discussed the interesting people that she and her husband met during their few years living in Dijon as students.
James
An enjoyable look at Dijon in the early 1930s, the odd characters that lived there, and Fisher's awakening as a woman, an artist, and a gastronome. This book would pair well with Julia Child's "My Life In France."
Diane
Rememberances of the late food and prose writer MFK Fisher's first years in pre-WWII France. A little rambling (for which she apologized in the prelogue), and quite dated, but an interesting glimpse of history.
Matthew
I hear Fisher is a great food writer, but this is not the one to read. Except for Chapter 4, the rest is about the characters she remembers, looking back to 50 years ago. I'll defo read her early stuff...
Marilyn Hartl
A look at Dijon in the years before WWII, written by a great gourmet. It was an intriguing look at their three years as students in France...another world, another time.
Jan
The word pictures of the food in 1929 in France were wonderful. It was light but very tasty reading, and just full of descriptions of people. A delight, small but lovely.
Jenny
I enjoyed this book - much like her other works she writes about food, travel, and life lessons while living in France. If your a fan of Fisher I highly suggest this book.
Monique
This was somewhat interesting as a period piece, but I wasn't as taken with it as I thought I'd be. It must have been her style of writing that bothered me.
Faith McLellan
Clear-eyed evocation of a long-gone France. Read in Dijon, walked down her street, saw the same buildings, some 80 years on.
Felicia
MFK Fisher is the patron saint of my tummy. I will happily read anything she had to write -- when the mood or hunger strikes me.
Kelly Holland
As I expected, a fair amount of "neither before nor since." Plenty of Dijonaise caricatures, and vivid description.
Michele Yates
Wonderful memoir of M.F.K. Fisher's first years in France as a new bride, new cook, new resident of Dijon, France.
Kathy
Was interesting for a while but after about 1/2 I started skimming. I was waiting for more to happen.
pegi
Not as engaging as her cooking holy Grail trilogy, how to cook a wolf, et al. But since short, worth the read
Peggy Dubinsky Price
This book is TERRIBLE!! It's a boring, rambling, poorly written mess.
Dvora
M.F.K. Fisher and France. Always a good combination.
  • Flaubert in Egypt: A Sensibility on Tour
  • Paris France
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • The Devil Drives: A Life of Sir Richard Burton
  • An Omelette and a Glass of Wine
  • My Father's Glory & My Mother's Castle: Marcel Pagnol's Memories of Childhood
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
  • Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • Travels with Alice
  • Prospero's Cell
  • For the Soul of France: Culture Wars in the Age of Dreyfus
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was a prolific and well-respected writer, writing more than 20 books during her lifetime and also publishing two volumes of journals and correspondence shortly before her death in 1992. Her first book, Serve it Forth, was published in 1937. Her books deal primarily with food, considering it from many aspects: preparation, natural history, culture, and philosophy. Fisher...more
More about M.F.K. Fisher...
The Art of Eating: 50th Anniversary Edition The Gastronomical Me How to Cook a Wolf Consider the Oyster Serve It Forth