Start by marking “Laksana Rajawali” as Want to Read:
Laksana Rajawali

Laksana Rajawali

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  35,781 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Di sebuah lembah yang mempesona, di puncak bukit yang menjulang, berdiri Puri Rajawali, pusat Gestapo, organisasi yang paling ditakuti di dunia. Hanya ada satu cara untuk mencapainya - dengan kereta gantung.

Mayor Smith dan Letnan Schaffer menunggu dengan membisu. Detik-detik merangkak perlahan. Menit-menit menumpuk lambat. Suhu makin turun. Lalu nampaklah kereta itu.Begitu
Published April 1993 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published June 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Laksana Rajawali, please sign up.

Doug Workman Yes, the film is tremendous and, as I remember, pretty faithful to the book. If you haven't seen it yet I advise you to do so!

Andrei Tamaş
Dec 06, 2013 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aveam în jur de 14 ani când am citit cartea aceasta. Este una dintre primele cărţi citite şi parcă am şi-acum în faţa ochilor colecţia bibliotecii Adevărul, romanul acesta fiind eterogen orânduirii celorlaltor cărţi. L-am luat şi am început, calm, să citesc. Eram în perioada în care mai toţi adolescenţii de gen masculin sunt pasionaţi de Al Doilea Război Mondial. M-a ţinut în suspans o noapte întreagă.
Cartea această are 5 steluţe din două motive: 1. pentru că la vremea respectivă mi-a plăcut eno
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Alistair MacLean wrote the screen play for his close friend, Richard Burton. Burton's star power was sliding at the time of the film and he wanted an action film along the lines of Maclean's bestseller and hit movie, The Guns of Navarone. And he got it! The novel is in fact based upon the screenplay, rather than the other way around - slightly odd.

I watched the film last night and I had to read the novel. And it is the screenplay. The first 30 pages are a bit slow, since one really can't get the
Scribble Orca
Oct 02, 2012 Scribble Orca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, suspense
I'm about to review a modern techno-thriller and while researching the author something jogged my 14 year old self's memory of Alistair McLean.

I gobbled his books in high school - I remember when The Eagle Has Landed was all the big rage and I read it, sure, like everyone else, but Alistair had me hooked and I ploughed through his entire oeuvre (or at least as much as our high school library budget allowed) during one year.

Then I forgot all about him until two days ago. I suppose that will be an
Nandakishore Varma
Oct 17, 2011 Nandakishore Varma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Had I reviewed this in my thriller-loving youth, I would have given it five stars. It is the adventure story par excellence: the secret mission behind enemy lines carried out by a group of intrepid adventurers: the snowbound castle up in the sky: fights on the top a moving cable car: and double-crosses, double-double-crosses and (even) double-double-double-crosses.

However, nowadays I find all such stories shallow, the adventure rather juvenile and the Anglo-centric view a bit nauseating. Hence t
Dee Arr
Mar 05, 2017 Dee Arr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read an Alistair MacLean novel so I grabbed one that was a favorite, and it didn't disappoint. Even though it's been years, MacLean is still a sure bet if you are looking for an entertaining story.

Admittedly, this book is not like some of the other suspense thrillers MacLean has written, where readers are kept guessing who the killer/spy is until the very end. What this tale lacks in suspense more than makes up for it with the adrenalin factor. This book is a page-t
Rich
This is based on MacLean's own script for the movie, which he wrote for his friend, Richard Burton. It is full-throated, roaring adventure, complete with a parachute drop behind enemy lines to attack a Nazi stronghold in the mountains of Germany, twists and turns double-crosses and triple-crosses, everything that made MacLean's novels so much fun. Guns, planes, explosions, what more can you ask for?
Ritwik
Jun 08, 2015 Ritwik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 2.5 really.
The book 'Where Eagles DARE' starts with a trifling irony. Before a sky-drop scene into the German lands to pursue a high class search and rescue mission of an eminent person, the characters(soldiers specially chosen and obviously quite able) visibly seem to lose their calm and start contemplating death in a nervous set of dialogues and the confusing character introduction.
A plot with the premise of an ever-interesting World War II scenario where the author chooses to aim and enla
Trev Twinem
It was always going to be difficult to enjoy this book having just read and been astounded by the brilliant Submerged by Thomas F Monteleone. As a youth I have fond memories of the boys own type thrillers by Scottish born Alistair McLean, and on initial reading I recall that Where Eagles Dare was a first class page-turner. Unfortunately revisiting this 2ndWW thriller after many years has not proved so enjoyable.

The story starts off with a great flourish when Major Smith and Lt Shaffer together
John Rollo
Jan 11, 2013 John Rollo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Rollo
Period 3
Where Eagles Dare by: Alistair MacLean

The story Where Eagles Dare started off a bit slow for me, but as the story went on, the action really kicked in. The story begins with a problem, an important American general is being held hostage in a secret Gestapo facility by the SS. Britain is America’s closest ally to the situation and is called in to help. They assemble a team of men to infiltrate the facility and the book is than filled with mysteries and unfortunate scenarios for
Craig Andrews
Unusually this book is not a novelization, it was written at the same time as the script and as such it's practically identical to the film. However because of that quite a few sections read a little sluggishly as it's not as fast paced as the film. Where Eagles Dare is quite possibly my favourite 'Christmas Movie' from when I was a kid and the book was a slight disappointment (the films still rocks).
Arwen56
Bello, con un finale al cardiopalma, praticamente identico al film, che ho visto da ragazzina e che mi era molto piaciuto. Un onesto romanzo di pura azione, che non pretende di essere altro che quello che è. E gli riesce molto bene, sia pur con tutte le esagerazioni del caso.
Fred Shaw
Mar 29, 2017 Fred Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story and movie.
Sonia Gomes
Nov 04, 2012 Sonia Gomes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Alistair MacLean, his books talked about WWII, which fascinates me. My father fought in that War, oh the tales we heard! Being young girls however, those tales bored us to tears.

Alistair MacLean captures the spirit of those days beautifully
Jeff Dawson
Feb 16, 2015 Jeff Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Alistair MacLean. Need I say more?
Mark
Jun 02, 2015 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story carelessly written. Except for the first chapter, it reads like the second draft of a finished novel.

There are some interesting characters but they develop not by the author revealing their personalities to the reader but by the author gradually inventing them.

A read that the MacLean wrote the book and screenplay simultaneously. I think that explains the quality of the book's writing.

The attempts by the author to have as few as possible people killed are at times absurd and though
James Phillips
Jun 02, 2013 James Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A masterful spy thriller set in WWII. A rag-tag group of MI-6 operatives along with one American OSS agent are sent to Bavaria, deep behind enemy lines to rescue a captured US Army general who has information on the Second Front (the invasion of Europe) before he spills all their secrets. This is not an action war book one would expect. Maclean's story is a page-turning thriller that includes misdirection, red herrings and double-crosses. The dialog is smart between characters and the Germans ar ...more
Pramod Ks
Oct 15, 2016 Pramod Ks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A daredevil rescue operation in the high Bavarian alps by British intelligence officers inside Nazi Germany, surrounded by German soldiers is one of the best fictional stories I have read. It was immortalized in film and I really loved the film and probably one of my favorites. The book is close to the movie but the movie if course has more action elements. Knowing the story already the book was a bit predictable but caught me by surprise in many places where I was expecting something else. A re ...more
Ankur
Sep 18, 2011 Ankur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
this was touted as 1 of macleans best, and so i picked it froma cousin's place. cant say i liked it much tho - just abt ok.

The action is good, the pace is slick and the twists are totally unpredictable. but the whole narrative seems to be more fit for a visual representation rather than reading pleasure. The WW II setting is also almost ancient history for us, so we dont even connect that much.

Read if u r a fan, otherwise avoidable.

Heather
Feb 25, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I have read several of MacLean's books, this remains my favorite. A small group against Nazi Germany...seemingly insurmountable odds...good stuff. It is the only MacLean I keep in my own library and I reread it every now and again. The interplay between Smith and Schaffer is amusing and the romance angle is not sappy.
I have to say that I was deeply disappointed in the Clint Eastwood movie of this book. As is usually the case, the book is so much better.
Mark Barrett
May 16, 2016 Mark Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic escapism in what is a high-speed roller coaster of a book. Breathless action interspersed with some dry, sardonic wit courtesy of the easy interaction between Smith and Shaffer. The lead- Smith - is an almost God-like presence in the novel who remains a mystery right to the last page. Occasionally the overuse of plot devices (skeleton keys, double-agent ruses etc) are slightly jarring, but they don't interfere with the steamroller of a plot and the great sense of fun and tension.
Ada
Feb 07, 2013 Ada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book.

I think a good book must make you tremble, laugh, leave you speechless, hold your breath, make you eager to read it, make you sorry you finished it so fast.

A good book should leave you with a big smile of satisfaction because you've read it. And it must leave you thinking about it long after you finished it.

This book as all of the above.

Swathi Chatrapathy
Feb 07, 2016 Swathi Chatrapathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justbooks
I rarely read action or thriller books, but this one was exceptional. Loved it for the language, the descriptions and the setting of the book. And the thrill of it, of course. Every few pages had me exclaiming in shock. Very good book for anyone who likes to read.
Ana  Vlădescu
Jul 25, 2011 Ana Vlădescu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why but this book didn't really impress me with anything. I liked the main charachter, him and his ways of tricking people, but the book itself was not that well written. Just a book to pass some time, after me.
David Drent
A very good action suspense, a bit like James bond in ww2...if bond ever got the snot beat out of him and only wanted one woman.
So many twists I forgot what I was reading at times. But great for a fun read.
Pip pip, cheerio and all that, Major.
Megha
An incredibly fast-paced and adrenaline-fueled read! Though many parts seem to be straight out of a Bollywood action flick, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And just to think that such secret operations must actually happen during wars gives me goosebumps! :)
Algernon
[9/10]
Olivier Van Cantfort
Good suspense, but the story is so unrealistc...
Jino Chough
Jan 19, 2016 Jino Chough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was pretty good. i liked the description that the author used, and the moral of the story was: dont trust anyone but yourself
Alex Cantone
Nov 12, 2016 Alex Cantone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
One of the best adventure stories of all time and a favourite on the family bookshelf. far better than the movie.
Tom King
Feb 18, 2014 Tom King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
All twists and turns. Gripping MacLean stuff. You've probably all seen the movie so know the plot but Maclean is the best at writing this so he's always worth a read, and then a reread.
SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops...: fave escape 15 7 Sep 10, 2015 10:39PM
Indian Bookworms: Where Eagles Dare - June 2015 92 130 Jun 25, 2015 01:00PM
WW2 Spy Novels group now available 8 44 Sep 11, 2014 07:46PM
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • The Fourth Protocol
  • The Salzburg Connection
  • The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1)
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • Battle Cry
  • The Tightrope Men
  • The Icarus Agenda
  • Airport
  • Firefox (Mitchell Gant, #1)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Run Silent Run Deep
  • Mr. Standfast (Richard Hannay, #3)
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for HMS Ulysses, his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Honour ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...

“This won't look so good in my obituary," Schaffer said dolefully. There was a perceptible edge of strain under the lightly-spoken words."Gave his life for his country in a ladies' lavatory in Upper Bavaria.” 37 likes