Start by marking “Angelina's Baby Sister” as Want to Read:
Angelina's Baby Sister

Angelina's Baby Sister (Angelina Ballerina)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Angelina's got something to look forward to—a new baby sister! But everyone is so busy fussing over little Polly, they don't have time to pay attention to her. And when Angelina gets ignored, she gets angry! Can she learn to share her most important audience? This charming book, which features sparkly foil on the jacket, is sure to delight Angelina's fans.
Published September 14th 2006 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Angelina's Baby Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angelina's Baby Sister

Pam
Not only did L read this book to us, but she donated it to our beloved library as well through the summer reading program. After she read for 10 days she was able to pick out a book to put her name in as the person who read-to-donate it. Lovely book, we love Angelina anyway, but it's so much better when you can be proud of yourself for reading enough to put it into circulation at the library! :)
Juwairiyah Sa-eed Abubakar
Mar 28, 2015 Juwairiyah Sa-eed Abubakar rated it it was amazing
ONE OF MY CHILDHOOD FAVORITES!
Samantha
Jul 15, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Angelina feels left out when her baby sister arrives. She's bursting at the seams to show her family her new dance and the prize she earned, but they are busy adjusting to life with a new baby in the house.

Good resolution that gives Angelina the attention she needs and deserves. PreK-2.
Tiffany
May 17, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and close to realistic about big sister anxiety.
Rebekah
One of three "new baby" books we read and I think the best of those (Little Critter and Berenstein Bears). The story us more detailed and it deals with jealousy over the attention she's losing when her grandparents come and as her mother becomes too busy. We read it before our new baby girl came and it think it was good to bring up those possibilities. In the end Mother Mouse also takes time to be with Angelina as well and the grandparents ask her to perform the dance she made in celebration of ...more
Olivia
Dec 01, 2008 Olivia rated it liked it
Angelina's excitement over the arrival of a new baby turns to jealousy when her little sister becomes the center of attention.

Reading Practice

Book Level: 3.8

Interest Level: Lower Grades (LG K-3)

Fiction/Nonfiction: Fiction

Topic - Subtopic: Animals-Mice; Emotions-Jealousy; Family Life-Babies; Family Life-Sisters

Series: Angelina Ballerina
Julia
Jun 24, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-0-4
This book pulls no punches: adding a baby to the family is hard work for everyone. My daughter sighed a great big sigh of relief when she read this. If her favorite character could feel rotten about the experience, well then so could she. As usual the illustrations are beautiful and it is just the right length for a 4 almost 5 year old.
sleeps9hours
Sep 18, 2014 sleeps9hours rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I know some kids get jealous when a sibling arrives, but it seems like all new-sibling books have this story line of hating the new baby, then learning to love it. For those kids who have no problems adjusting to a sib, or are excited and happy, I think it makes them feel their experience is not normal or is bad role-modeling.
Heather
Apr 03, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
46 months - Angelina is always a hit with O. This one is timely though as O will have a baby brother in two months. Hopefully we will not experience the same level of jealousy so early on as this book depicts. The family is reminded how important it is to give the older sibling some special attention and personal time too.
Jeanette
Okay, maybe I am the exception here but I did not really like the fact that Angelina was basically rewarded for throwing a monumental temper tantrum. Not what I want to be teaching my 2 year old who already throws enough tantrums.
Catherine
Aug 02, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
I think most children with a new baby in the home can relate to how Angelina feels in this book. I think this is a good reminder for parents that sometimes kids need the most love when they are being the most naughty.
Inhabiting Books
Angelina eagerly awaits the arrival of her new baby sister, and then gets jealous of the all the attention paid to her.
Beautiful illustrations, but not my favorite adapting-to-a-new-baby story.

Nov 04, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Wow, Angelina has a temper!
Gail
Sep 26, 2010 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A hit with my 3 year old.
Emily Brady
Emily Brady rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Delali
Delali rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Nickcole
Nickcole rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Vernon Harmon
Vernon Harmon marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Rebe
Rebe added it
May 23, 2016
Claire
Claire added it
May 09, 2016
Stephanie Locascio
Stephanie Locascio marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Lizane
Lizane rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Heather Felton
Heather Felton rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2016
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
  • Jolly Tall
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • My New Baby
  • Too Much Noise
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Someday
Katharine Holabird is an American writer, best known as the author of the Angelina Ballerina series.

As a child, Holabird was an avid reader who loved fairy tales and stories about heroic animals, and she frequently saw ballets like Cinderella and Swan Lake with her grandmother. The young, imaginative Holabird loved animals, playing in her tree house, and dancing with her sisters. In 1969, she rece
More about Katharine Holabird...

Angelina Ballerina (1 - 10 of 87 books)
  • Angelina Ballerina