Start by marking “Wait for What Will Come” as Want to Read:

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The last of an ancient Cornish clan, Carla Tregellas has inherited her historic ancestral home: a massive mansion looming high up on the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. From the moment Carla takes possession of the grand manor she feels right at home, warmly welcomed by everyone--except the strange and secretive housekeeper, Mrs. Pendennis, who warns the new owner of the tragic ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wait for What Will Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait for What Will Come

Lara
Okay, so yeah, this book is terrible. Just look at the cover! Basically this woman inherits a mysterious house in Cornwall from a mysterious relative she's never heard of, and when she goes there OMG! Everyone thinks she looks just like this dead woman from 200 years ago! And the anniversary of her disappearance is coming up! And there might be an evil merman involved! Also, there are not two, not three, but FOUR possible love interests. LOVE PENTAGON!

And yet, I still love this book. I don't kn
Kasia
Jul 25, 2016 Kasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Michaels Gothic thrillers seem to involve some sort of a haunted house/castle, a man with a secret shady pasty, time setting around 1950's and witty damsel in distress with spunk and a bit of an attitude. This suits me just fine when I am in deed in the mood for mystery, thriller and romance all mixed into one and a relaxing evening of some fun, light reading. This kept me glued to the pages enough to finish quickly and I am looking forward to more of her books in the future. This is not ...more
Kat Lebo
Jul 29, 2016 Kat Lebo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by Barbara Michaels

Barbara Mertz (Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters) has long been one of my favorite authors. However, she was so prolific, that I haven't read many of her books. This was one of her Michaels books that was moldering away in my "to-read" stash -- an old old paperback that I probably picked up at my local library annual book sale. I've decided to try and read one of her books (either pen name) a week for the rest of the year (so a trip to the library will u
Adobe
Apr 13, 2014 Adobe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book is the merry rapport between sarcastic Carla, moody Michael, and cheerful Tim. The trio comes together halfway through the novel, and immediately the story perks up under the influence of their amusing interactions.

However, once you've heard one story about a women slowly being maneuvered into believing herself mad, you've heard them all. Wait for What Will Come doesn't add anything new to this traditional plot. Additionally, the book is inexplicably burdened with a do
Catherine
Jul 12, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a young teenager, and it made me want to go to Cornwall some day. A few years later, I found I have ancestors from Cornwall, and I actually got to go and visit my distant relatives, although they lived in a nice, comfortable cottage, not a big mansion. I thought of this book the whole time I was there, and it added to the experience. Barbara Michaels does such a great job of creating atmosphere and history in her stories. And they are always fun to read, the ones I always go back to ...more
Arlene Richards
An interesting suspense-filled with an old decaying castle as a back-drop. I do tire of the frequently used theme where boy meets girl and they have an instant verbally abusive repulsion to each other. Of course they end up as lovers. The book then becomes so predictable that I can usually guess how the mystery ends. A 2.5 would be a better rating for this book.
Darla
Jun 01, 2016 Darla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-adore
Absolutely loved it! Interesting characters, great story...perfect!
Michael
Aug 16, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
I'd really rather give it a 3.5, but I'm feeling generous, so I bumped it up. ;o)

It was... fine. Entertaining. Or at least entertaining enough.

This author spins a pretty good tale-- the epitome of the light mystery/suspense/mildly romantic gothic romance. She knows how to write the sort of novel that it is easy to keep reading. However, there's generally not much to make you sit up in amazement. If you've read one of these types of books, you've kind of read them all. The setting and cast of cha
Charybdis
The book starts out with a common gothic romance setup: a girl is on her way to a new place to live. It's Carla Tregellas who inherited an old family mansion in Cornwall from a branch of the family she knew nothing about since it was her great-great-grandfather who had emigrated to the US. As the book is set in the present day (1980), her mode of transportation is plane, train and automobile. In the next chapter we learn how this all came about. It's interesting to reflect on the differences bet ...more
Samantha
Mar 28, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary from Goodreads:

"She was the last of an ancient Cornish clan, and Carla Tregellas had inherited the pride of her family name - a huge mansion that loomed high above the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. She felt at home there right from the start, for everyone seemed so kind and welcoming. Everyone except Mrs. Pendennis, the eccentric housekeeper who advised Carla to leave at once to deter a tragic and inevitable fate. But Carla could not leave - for the invisible bonds of an ancestral curse wer
Kristen
Barbara Michaels is a solid author who writes stories you can depend on to entertain.

In Wait for What Will Come, we meet solid, unimaginative [by her own description] American Carla Tregellas, the last of the line of a Cornish Clan. She's inherited an old wreck of a mansion in Cornwall, and has no interest in anything but having it sold off as quickly as possible. Until, that is, she sees a picture of the house, and is suddenly on the next plane to visit her house in person.

Once she arrives howe
Serena
Jun 02, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Aug 15, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. it is a great example of the Gothic romance that was so popular in its day. It has very little in the way of romance, with just a hint thrown in to liven up the characters stories, and enough at the end to make you smile happily for our heroine. The elements are there with sweeping writing style that will have you seeing it as if you are there. Her descriptions are incredible, especially of people and the countryside. Creepy dark moods, check. Whipping winds and storm ...more
Chris
Jul 28, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It suffers a bit from being a product of it's time, and the climax is kind of out of left field. (Spoiler:(view spoiler)) But, hey, it's a "modern" gothic romance, with an ancient curse, an old house, the possibility of a ...more
Lisa Greer
Mar 11, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-mystery
I might end up re-rating this one before I'm done. I realized I had never read this one by Michaels. It's one of the few. It is different from many of her others since there's a creepy castle and a legend of a killer merman. :)

***
I am thoroughly enjoying this over a third of the way in as always with Michaels: wit, humor, suspense, romance, and creepiness are the makings of this novel set in 70s Cornwall.

***
Thoroughly enjoyable. I didn't know who dunnit until the last 15 pages of the book.
A.X. Rhodes
Mar 23, 2016 A.X. Rhodes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Barbara Michaels book I ever read and it hooked me into reading a number of her others. Found it engrossing and very eerie. I also didn't get turned off by the romance side of her work, which usually involves a young woman in a new town/environment. It's smart without being overly dramatic like a Lifetime movie. Michaels also writes with a subtlety to her final explanations and endings which are both clever and mysterious. There's just something about this spooky house overloo ...more
Melody
Feb 24, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carla, being the last of the named Tregallis' inherits a tumble down house and small estate in Cornwall. She decides to visit it before selling it, just to see where her ancestors came from, and is captured by the beauty and mystery of the area. The house keepers handsome grandson is also an indictment to stay. But there are plans afoot to get her to leave. Nan old family curse, a bit of drug smuggling and other nefarious activity are part of a great read.
Rusty
Jul 20, 2014 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is a most entertaining read by a talented author. This gothic mystery is so well done that I could not stop reading until the last page. The convoluted plot kept pointing to a mysterious and talented young dancer but the murderer is someone else entirely. As I read this one without stopping, I couldn't figure out who it might be until the killer revealed himself in attempt to kill the heroine. Well done!
Lizzi Crystal
Barbara Michaels is one of the reigning queens of suspense. I don't take much away from her books, but they're atmospheric escapism for a day or two, well-written and crafted mysteries, and I find myself reaching for them when I want to take my mind off my troubles. Sometimes you just need to disappear into a good gothic story and forget. This book did just the trick, although the endings of her books are almost maddeningly rushed.
Rosemary
Jun 14, 2009 Rosemary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fairly standard romance / suspence. Lovely American heiress of a Welsh castle visits before selling, discovers a love of her roots, surrounded by gorgeous men, sees ghosts, seeks way to keep the castle, endangered. The end was very rushed, as though even the author got a little bored with it all and rushed to let us know which of the gorgeous men would win the girl.
Julia
Mom was right - the pair of bickering lovers who make it up at the end was a bit cliched. The mystery was rather far fetched and hard to believe. Not one of this author's better novels. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the ghost story though.
Nicole
May 22, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was about fourteen, so I'm not sure I would even like it now, but I really enjoyed it at the time. It made me wish I had a rich relative who would leave their Cornish estate when they died! I was also left with a serious craving for scones and clotted cream.
Kristina
My mother owns this collection of three romantic suspense novels. The first two books are better than the last one (Voyage to Love), but they are funny and entertaining. Wait for What Will Come is of course by Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, so it is very good.
Tasha
Jul 08, 2012 Tasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of my favorite Barbara Michaels books! It takes place in Cornwall and there's a dark and handsome stranger, a cromlech (circle of standing stones), and an ancient Roman mosaic. There's also some suspicion that mister tall, dark, and handsome is a selkie.
Kieraanne
This book was entertaining enough. Totally called one of the bad guys from the first but was surprised by the big reveal. I wish the main character would have been more with it though so that the plot wasn't completely solved by the men folk.
Nancy Hughey
Nov 03, 2014 Nancy Hughey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew for grown ups! This book has everything I like... Old house with secret rooms, a vivacious, spirited heroine and a good mystery that includes an element of the supernatural. Old fashioned and quaint as it was, still an entertaining and enjoyable read!
Kallie Allen
I liked this book. There was a good mystery and story. The only thing that I did not like was the ending. For the mystery it had a good ending, but then for the characters it was lame.
Lisa M.
Jan 28, 2008 Lisa M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mass market book...read if you are truly desperate...starts out interesting and ends fast and disappointingly...I literally rolled my eyes.
Dawn
Feb 10, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Barbara Michaels and her suspense novels, but this book did not meet my expectations. Not enough suspense! Not even a good love story.
Éowyn
Mar 31, 2012 Éowyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
Gothic-style novel, reminded me a bit of the Victoria Holt novels. Could have done with a bit more clarity in the ending and trying to unpick all the threads of what had been going on.
  • The Camelot Caper  (Vicky Bliss, #.5)
  • The Golden Unicorn
  • Anne Stuart's Out-of-Print Gems
  • The Dark Shore
  • Wildfire at Midnight
  • Curse of the Kings
Barbara Michaels was a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...