Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14: 1977-1978 (Complete Peanuts #14)

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

As the 1970s wind down, the last two recurring Peanuts characters have fallen into place: Snoopy’s brother Spike and the youngest Van Pelt sibling,
Rerun. But that doesn’t mean Schulz’s creativity has diminished; in fact, this volume features an amazing profusion of hilariously distinctive new one-
(or two-) shot characters!

For instance, in an epic five-week sequence, when

Published September 27th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published September 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 14

Heather
Mar 31, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peanuts fans, pop culture aficionados
Starting to play a little too much into the times for me to think it the ultimate in comic expression. There is a LOT of material about jogging, tennis—even a week with Snoopy dressed as John Travolta and doing disco! Some great obscure characters happen by, like Truffles (introduced in the last book) and Eudora. Molly Volley and Crybaby Booby are colorful tennis players Snoopy encounters in tournament. Sadly, there is one joke that gets overused in this volume—the cat next door swiping a patter ...more
Rugg Ruggedo
Jan 01, 2014 Rugg Ruggedo rated it it was amazing
The intro to this volume is done by Alex Baldwin,comparing Schulz to Twain, but still being happy it was Shulz who did Peanuts not Twain.
My favorite thing in 77-78 was the creation of Sally
s friend Eudora. They meet at summer camp and then Eudora moves near by. Later Linus gives his blanket to Eudora because "she smile at me". Sally isnt happy, especially when she calls him her sweet baboo! The blanket ends up with the cat next door and a huge fight developes for possession. It turns out Woodst
Rick
Nov 02, 2010 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is the fourteenth volume in the series, with approximately eleven more to come. It’s the first one with a strong indication of waning creativity, where cuteness overtakes cleverness, where originality gives way to routine. To put that in context, the strip is 27 and 28 years old at this point. “Saturday Night Live” fell into bad habits of self-mimicry and outright repetition some time during its first season and then minted that as its formula going forward. Brilliant at times, but far more ...more
Scott
Feb 25, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
Another great Peanuts collection - this period features lots of Sally, who's become one of the funnier characters, for my money - also lots of Peppermint Patty, though maybe a little less than the preceding two year run, when she was really sort of dominant. Also lots of recycling of Lucy's unrequited love for Schroeder, and another reappearance of Pigpen - for one strip again, but that's a lot more than we've come to expect. Either Schulz was feeling guilty about writing him out of the strip, o ...more
Janne Varvára
Aug 28, 2011 Janne Varvára rated it really liked it
Another wonderful Peanuts collection!

I love the good ol' features of Charlie Brown and the football, of "five cents please", Sally's conversations with school and Peppermint Patty's troubles with it, not to mention the antics of Snoopy and Woodstock and all the other adventures the gang gets up to.

A newer feature is the artistic claw-slashes of the cat next door, always brought on by Snoopy's taunts. Always witty and to the point.

I still think the strips from the early seveties were the best one
Mike Jensen
Feb 08, 2011 Mike Jensen rated it it was amazing
Schulz begins his mature phase with these strips. They may not be as laugh-aloud funny as in the past, but they are wise and knowing about human nature, eliciting a knowing smile, while at the same time going deeper into fantasy with Snoopy playing helicopter and, apparently, actually leaving the ground. Snoopy is the id unleashed, after all. He also becomes a scoutmaster for a flock of birds, again making wise strips about HUMAN nature. The balance between the id and responsibility is very inte ...more
Naomi Simon
May 21, 2014 Naomi Simon rated it really liked it
Shelves: joshua
This book is about the peanuts gang in 1977-1978
Fizzgig76
Sep 13, 2010 Fizzgig76 rated it it was ok
Charlie Brown runs from the EPA, Snoopy teams up with Molly Volley, and Peppermint Patty tries to fight her sleeping problem. Peanuts has reached it rut. It has become very Snoopy-centric at this point and many of the other minor characters don't show up in the two year stretch. Schulz also continues his string of having the dailies usually tie together for a week or two weeks at a time. This works in the context of the collections but as individual strips the jokes can be few and far between.
jacky
Nov 29, 2015 jacky rated it really liked it
lots of longer stories including Peppermint Patty and Sally.
Matti Karjalainen
Vuodet 1977-1978 eivät olleet Tenavien kannalta mitenkään ikimuistoisia, vaan pikemminkin sellaista perusvarmaa suorittamista. Nerokkaita oivalluksia mahtuu edelleen mukaan, mutta mitäänsanomattomia strippejä (mm. Ressun ja naapurin hirviökissan välinen vuoropuhelu) on joukossa entistä enemmän.
Tammy
Feb 10, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
When these comics first came out I was around 7 years old, and even though the Peanuts gang were in elementary school with me the comics had been published since 1950. It's amazing to me now, how much I relate to them as an adult as well. Snoopy is still my favorite.

Jennifer Campaniolo
Jan 03, 2013 Jennifer Campaniolo rated it really liked it
I love how these strips speak to me as an adult almost (or more) than they did when I read them as a child. Who knew Snoopy was familiar with the work of environmental artist Christo (who wraps the doghouse?) Great stuff.
Brian
Jul 03, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
This was a very very quick read, I read it during my lunch hour. Compared to the other Peanuts books, it wasn't my favorite, but overall, I enjoyed this a lot. Some of the subplots made me chuckle.
Greg Brozeit
Jul 27, 2014 Greg Brozeit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another strong collection. Especially liked the strips when scout leader Snoopy takes Woodstock and his friends Conrad, Bill and Olivier on hikes. Snoopy as a helicopter was also funny.
Lee Anne
Feb 09, 2013 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
This one has lots of tennis, so of course I loved it. It's fun to finally reach references that I may actually remember.
Greg Allan Holcomb
Sep 09, 2010 Greg Allan Holcomb rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I can't believe that an Actor wrote one of the better introductions in this series.

Snoopy Helicopter appearance.
Denicemarcell
Mar 28, 2011 Denicemarcell marked it as to-read
february 8th, 2011 didn't think it possible but i may have overdosed on Peanuts. or it could be i prefer the earlier years.
Rebecca
Oct 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
By this time the characters are well established and they do all the things we associate them with.
Matthew Gilbert
Sep 10, 2013 Matthew Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Sweet, funny and just awesomely Peanuts!
Dustybooks
Dustybooks rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Fernanda Santos
Fernanda Santos rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Craig Brasfield
Craig Brasfield rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Aidan Kazazes
Aidan Kazazes rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Max Uhrig
Max Uhrig marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Crusty
Crusty marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
  • Baby Blues 04: I Thought Labor Ended When the Baby Was Born
  • Eight Yards Down and Out: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 3: 1984-1986
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • Mickey Mouse, Vol. 2: Trapped on Treasure Island
209672
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in
More about Charles M. Schulz...

Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965-1966
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967-1968
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 10: 1969-1970

“Why me, lord? Don't answer that!” 27 likes
“One moment, please... We interrupt our regular program to bring you this special bulletin: It's a nice day outside.” 23 likes