Start by marking “The Man with the Golden Touch: How The Bond Films Conquered the World” as Want to Read:
The Man with the Golden Touch: How The Bond Films Conquered the World

The Man with the Golden Touch: How The Bond Films Conquered the World

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Yet the role of James Bond, which transformed Sean Connery’s career in 1962 when Dr No came out, still retained its star-making power in 2006 when Daniel Craig made his Bond debut in Casino Royale. This is the story of how, with the odd misstep along the way, the owners of the Bond franchise, Eon Productions, have contrived to keep James Bond abreast of the zeitgeist and a ...more
Published August 5th 2010 by The Overlook Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Man with the Golden Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man with the Golden Touch

John Richards
Youngish author brought up on too much political correctness. His hero is Austin Powers which shows his taste is all in his mouth. Full of negativity, typical of film critics who make up for lack of taste by panning everything that is not snobbish and upper class. One of the worst books on the James Bond movies but if you eliminate his personal biases (3/4 of book) might get something from recap of movies.
Bill FromPA
Unlike many other fannish preoccupations, the Bond films are an unusually sociable branch of cult enthusiasm. They are not the specialized preserve of intense dweebs. When it comes to Bond, we are all dweebs. We all know the gadgets, we recite the worst lines in pubs, we have lively debates involving the mystery of Blofeld’s duplicate Persian cats in Diamonds Are Forever.
- Sinclair McKay

I found this last week in a used book store for $4.50. The cover indicates “Uncorrected Proofs / Pub Date: Aug
Geoff
Mar 26, 2012 Geoff marked it as unfinished
Shelves: non-fiction

In the few chapters that I got through, I didn't learn that much about the Bond universe or the making of the films. This would mainly be because I am a huge Bond fan, so I already knew what was presented in the book.

This would be a recommended read for someone just discovering James Bond.
John
Nov 01, 2014 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cinema
This work is a basic-level survey of the history of the James Bond movie franchise from its beginnings in the early 1960's to the Daniel Craig era. The author brings almost no new insight into the material. The writer's extremely snarky and self-referential tone was jarring for every single page of this book. Unfortunately, writing in this snarky, casual tone seems to be more and more common, even in academic non-fiction. This book may be of interest to Bond fans who know nothing about the backg ...more
Ed
After the increasing shittiness of the novels I've been reading, I decided a non-fiction book about James Bond was something I richly deserved. What makes this book different than a fanboy dissertation is that McKay gives a political and sociological context for all 23 movies. He also talks about how the movies themselves effected the world socially and politically. He manages to do this without being a pretentious dick like some of the other authors who write about Bond. He has a few opinions t ...more
Thuyen Nguyen
Sinclair McKay’s history of the James Bond film franchise reads like a love letter to a life-long partner. McKay is a fanboy no doubt, and is happy to both praise and defend Bond at every opportunity. Most of the book is spent summarising each of the films in detail (up to Quantum of Solace – the film hadn’t come out yet), with small snippets of historical context and behind-the-scenes production happenings.

While the Connery and Moore eras are given a lot of love and pages, the films of Dalton o
David R.
McKay chronicles the run of James Bond films from "Doctor No" in 1961 through "Quantum of Solace" in 2008. His real focus is on producer "Cubby" Broccoli and just how it was that this series achieved its critical mass and has persisted through five decades and six actors. Some of the success came from the talent (Connery, Moore and Brosnan get kudos) and some from alignment with topical concerns of the day, such as the threat of terror in recent years. And all this in spite of serious deficienci ...more
Lee
This was a lot of fun. I am a sucker for the Bond films (seen all but 2 so far), and I like reading about them at least as much.

This is all about the movies, and many of the things and events that swirled around them, as well as their reception by critics and fans around the world.

Factoid that blew my mind: Octopussy was written (at least in part) by George MacDonald Fraser, of "Flashman" fame.

FWIW, the author tried hard not to favor one actor over another, but his "original" or sentimental fav
Erik Dewey
A very well researched and exhaustive look at the Bond movies and their impact on culture and society. The author's style was a little too casual for me but the information and context he puts it in is amazing.

The book looks at each movie, what when on while it was being filmed, and what was going on in society at the time as well. He comments on each Bond's performance without denegrating them very much. A fascinating read.

Definately a book to read for anyone who has ever sat in a theater and w
Jacqueline
An interesting look at the Bond films and their impact on the world. However, the book drags on as the author feels he has to rehash each plot and then add the historical background in addition to all the film details. I would have been much happier with a simple behind the scenes book.
Matt Rushford
Good book for James Bond fan.
Cody
While it often reads as mere opinion in places, it certainly presents some solid insights and reflections about Bond on film.
Alan Skinner
Alan Skinner marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Yan Yan
Yan Yan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Missy Games
Missy Games marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Scott Charles Walker
Scott Charles Walker marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Bee Bishop
Bee Bishop marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Leir
Leir marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Eric Mikols
Eric Mikols marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinclair McKay writes regularly for the Daily Telegraph and The Secret Listeners and has written books about James Bond and Hammer horror for Aurum. His next book, about the wartime “Y” Service during World War II, is due to be published by Aurum in 2012. He lives in London.
-Source
More about Sinclair McKay...
The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There The Secret Listeners A Thing Of Unspeakable Horror: The History Of Hammer Films The Lost World of Bletchley Park: The Official Illustrated History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre Ramble on: The Story of Our Love for Walking Britain