Writer's Inc

Writer's Inc

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Book by Sebranek, Patrick, Meyer, Verne, Kemper, Dave
Published February 16th 2000 by Great Source Education Group (first published August 1st 1984)

Tiffany
Textbook--I have the teacher's guide to go with it. Free to good home.
minervasowl
Sure it has funny little pictures that make it look like it is written for elementary school students, but the examples are wonderfully clear and silly enough so that you remember the rules. I have had and used this book for many years.

Forget all of those stuffy grammar and punctuation handbooks so often handed out in high school and college composition classes. *This* is the handbook you need.
Skinnypeterm
I used this writing handbook in high school as was required. Still a useful guide when I need to get back to the basics in my writing.
Jessie
This resourceful book has helped me through high school and college. I'm hanging on to it after all these years because it's a great reference to go back to for information.
Nhu Luong
I think this book was written mainly for high school students due to its content and format. It is well-organized, clear and easy to read. It supplements students' writing skills with outlines of a certain type of essay ( persuasive essay ,business letter, research paper, response to literature, etc. ). However, I find this book to be dull and not very specific. All the rubrics are almost the same for different types of essay. Therefore, I would recommend this book to a freshman or a sophomore b...more
jacky
I've used this book to help teach writing, but don't hand it out as a textbook. I've also used it through Sylvan.

What makes them excellent is that these books break down writing into simple parts and use a lot of examples. The way the pages are formated with bold, graphics, and such also make them easy to use and not as intimidating as say Warriener's. They contain both grammar and direction on different types of writing.
Andy
The plasticized cover of the ugly yellow old '89 version resists both Sprite and being hucked across the room in rage.

But keep it handy and you will never be confused by a gerand, present participle or proper apostrification of either its or it's. At least for the next 30 minutes...
Ist 605
Rather than being geared towards one field, Writers Inc. is a wonderful reference to turn to for any type of writing. I wish I would have known about this source in undergrad! -Corey
David
Jan 15, 2008 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This was my writing guide/grammar book in high school, which I never actually used at the time. I think I actually stole this copy from the "newsroom" of the Pow Wow, my school newspaper.
Erika
Excellent handbook on writing skills. Very well organized so that you can find what you are looking for quickly, and the point form it uses was very user friendly.
Kelli
This is a great english resource. I still use it, even though I bought it early in high school.
Runa
Apr 07, 2007 Runa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: runasbooks
great reference for writers, required for many english classes
Lucius
Feb 17, 2011 Lucius added it
Useful for writing back when I didn't have the Internet.
Dawn
This book was everything to me in high school.
Stinachan
Stinachan is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Duygu
Duygu marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Marc Cadwell
Marc Cadwell marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Tarek Ali
Tarek Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Shelby
Shelby added it
Jun 06, 2014
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Diary of an Early American Boy
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • Painless Grammar
  • A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • Writing Mysteries
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes
Write for College: Softcover College Handbook Basic English Revisited: A Student Handbook Write Source 2000: A Guide to Writing, Thinking and Learning Write for College: A Student Handbook School to Work: A Student Handbook