Start by marking “The Joyful Christian” as Want to Read:
The Joyful Christian

The Joyful Christian

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  44 reviews
C.S. Lewis, himself a convert, wrote of being "surprised by joy" when he discovered his belief in Jesus Christ. In these 127 devotional readings, selected from Lewis's many works on faith and spirituality, Christians everywhere can share in the joy of this master theologian as he discusses topics ranging from the nature of prayer and good works to psychoanalysis and fascis ...more
Published June 3rd 1996 by Scribner (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Joyful Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joyful Christian

Christy
Reading sections again. Usually after scripture readings. I've been re-reading this book for a decade. Highly recommend it; after all it's Lewis.
Jenna
Nov 11, 2008 Jenna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need help with their Spiritual life or all Christians in general.
Recommended to Jenna by: library
What do you get when you take sections from C.S. Lewis' greatest theological works and put them together? THE JOYFUL CHRISTIAN. This book takes portions from C.S. Lewis' books MERE CHRISTIANITY, THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS, THE FOUR LOVES, and more and put them in order of topic to give you great insight into the mind of a great theologian. Three things that make THE JOYFUL CHRISTIAN such a wonderful thing to read is Lewis' examples of Biblical concepts, frank beliefs, and understanding of the though ...more
Ed Burns
The bibliography to the edition I read includes a book about C. S. Lewis that calls him "The Apostle to the Skeptics". It is this aspect of the author that spoke to me most. I fancy myself a fan of science and reason. I am glad the Enlightenment happened. And I consider the "all your mind" portion of Matthew 22:37 a scriptural basis for this way of thinking. Therefore, I am certainly a skeptic.

This book was a turning point in my Christian walk. The scholarly rigor with which Mr. Lewis treats su
People need more joy...I find that joy can turn our perspectives completely upside down. I would much rather be joyful and happy, than to mope about and have bad attitudes. People that are unhappy, rude, and make a big deal about everything are so difficult to be around. I dislike dealing with the drama and people's puffed up opinions about themselves. I was a counselor at a Christian camp a couple weeks ago and some of the kids just weren't happy, respectful, or nice. It really saddened me. We ...more
Gabriel
This book was not exactly what I expected, though it was very good for what it was: An Introduction to C.S. Lewis' writings. There were lots of excerpts from various of his papers, books, and speeches. Really a broad look at the theology of C.S. Lewis. There is also an excellent reference section, for further reading. I'm sure this will be a starting point for me to read more of his work.
Jeff
It has been a while since I was reading this book, but as I recall it contains a collection of excerpts from Lewis' other works. I do not recall being super impressed with how the editors decided to cut the excerpts they did cut. Could be useful to give you a general idea of what you'll encounter in Lewis' books, as a collection of excerpts though I felt it was lacking.
Jim
This book has some good points, but it gets lost in the muddle of his apologetics. Quite frankly I expected a bit more from an author of his stature and fame. To be fair, this book is a collection of snippets from his larger body of work, so maybe I need to read one of these complete works.
Steve Walden
Reading this book during a massive transition in my life, I drew a great deal out of Lewis that I would have otherwise discarded. I received it as a gift from a dear friend I've now lost touch with. His thoughts on what it means to have joy, not the giddy, bubbly feeling we suppose, but a deep and solid reckoning that this is all the worst we will ever see in our lives that go on through eternity. It's a great and hopeful journey, not horrible but ready with kindness and mercies we need to know ...more
Lorin
The Joyful Christian is a selection of essays and excerpts from various works by CS Lewis for example there are excerpts from the Screwtape Letters and essays from Mere Christianity. Many of the essays are interesting reads for the already Christian and a few of them are Mr. Lewis looking back on his time as an Atheist and his journey thus far. The excerpts from the Screwtape Letters are always helpful and enjoyable as Wormwood always has a wry sense of humor.

My biggest pet peeve with this book
Amanda
I quit about one fourth of the way into this book. I absolutely love C.S. Lewis and his writing, but the editors did a dreadful job of choosing selections and arranging them. There was no flow to the book; it just felt disjointed and choppy. I was very disappointed.
Lauren Alexander
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
-C.S. Lewis
The Joyful Christian is a collection of Lewis’ best work divided by topic. The Joyful Christian is academically challenging while being spiritually inspiring.
Ellen
A collection of excerpts drawn from Lewis's books and letters, on nearly every subject imaginable. Most every section, even those with which I was already familiar, and/or those that with which I disagreed, made me think and re-evaluate; always a good thing, and always something that Lewis does for me.

"The process of living seems to consist in coming to realize truths so ancient and simple that, if stated, they sound like barren platitudes. They cannot sound otherwise to those who have not had
Erin
The Joyful Christian is a collection of short essays on various topics from pride, love, justice, pain and death to communism, church music, mysticism, and meditation. He approaches each topic as a student, professing his journey of learning and perhaps coming to develop a point-of-view or conviction. Mostly, in his very Lewis way, he humbly enlightens us to view things as we have not previously.

Of all the C.S. Lewis books, this one has been the hardest one for me to wrap my brain around (frank
Kei
This was initially a very complicated set of responses. Until Charlie asked me to look at when it was published. I'd somehow managed to view CS Lewis as a figure that had had no end, which it might still be possible to meet.
Most of the complications in my reaction to some of the selections in this book ended up being made less complicated once put into the context of his times.
In fact, taking that into account, there are a number of ways in which he approached aspects of Christianity that were,
Dave
Awesome book of excerpts from his writings on various topics
Jocelyn
A nice, topical collection.
Debbie
This book culls excerpts from many of Lewis's writings and compiles them in a compendium. The book offers tidbits of Lewis's thoughts on theological (and other) matters. Reading Lewis this way - concisely - is effective, as it allows one to then (with the help of the index) pursue Lewis's concepts or ideas more thoroughly by finding the origin of the excerpt. The book is organized topically, a further aide to ease of reading and of finding what one particularly wants to investigate.
Evlyn
Hoping to read 1 more time. I only manage to digest 30% of this book contents.
Dana
I didn't realize when I rescued this from a used book store that it was a compilation of quotes from Lewis. All the more better. Although most of the quotes were from Mere Christianity which I had just completed. There are so many great treasures in this book from the mind of Lewis. I think I would have titled it, The Thinking Christian, though. It touches on some interesting topics. I highly recommend it for any Lewis lover!
G. Han
Dense, recommend few a day during your afternoon tea.
Linda Horn
There isn't enough room on this review to explain what I learned from this book. I think C.S. Lewis explains as no other author what 'Joy' really means to a Christian. It is a book full of revelations about what it means to be joyful. It is one of my very favorite books in Christian Literature. It is an essential read for any Christian who really wants to explore her faith, and spirituality.
Daniel
While engaging to read C.S.Lewis' insight into various subjects, the book is really just a collection/segments of several of his works/books. I didn't enjoy the jumping from one topic to the other but enjoy his other books that are in a more thought out order. This is more of a C.S.Lewis pocket dictionary.
Desclian
Although I've never been much of a fan of "excerpt" books, I couldn't help myself with CS Lewis. The text, unfortunately, does nothing with referring one to where these little bits of Lewis excerpted from, and thus I'm left to guess at what I'd like to read of his next (or again).
I really thought that this was an interesting book on Christian values and beliefs. I especially thought it was interesting to read because C.S. Lewis was not a mormon, but many of his thoughts and beliefs are similar to what we as members of the church believe. I enjoyed it.
Elisa
I'm currently reading this book. I LOVE the way it is written. There are so many profound truths revealed that never occured to me before I read this book. I'm looking forward to reading it in it's entirety.
Jenn
This was a really great collection of C.S. Lewis excerpts. It divides his work topically, so it was nice to be able to pick it up, read a bit and then find another topic to go from there.
Heather
This set of 127 excerpts from C.S. Lewis' works are great for devotionals, or for looking up topical items in basic theology or apologetics. I found it very helpful and a great review.
Jo
This is a great little book on a variety of subjects across life and christianity. There is a lot of wisdom in the words and ideas that Mr. Lewis conveys. Wonderful Book.
Jenny
I'm using this collection of CS Lewis excerpts as my devotional right now. It has so many great, thought-provoking tidbits on various topics concerning the Christian faith.
Kailey
I don't like how these excerpts are sometimes taken out of the original context. I'd rather just read an entire book of Lewis' instead of a paragraph here and there.
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything
  • Beyond Our Selves
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Helper by Design: God's Perfect Plan for Women in Marriage
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • When God Is Silent
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

“Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither.” 274 likes