Start by marking “O'Hara's Choice ” as Want to Read:
O'Hara's Choice

O'Hara's Choice

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  598 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Fifty years after his first novel, Battle Cry, took the world by storm, Leon Uris returns to the topic that first inspired him to write books that captivate, educate, and thrill -- the Marine Corps.

In the years following the Civil War, first-generation Irish-American Zachary O'Hara, son of a legendary Marine and a force of a man in his own right, finds himself playing a cr
Published October 7th 2003 by Harper (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about O'Hara's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O'Hara's Choice

Abby
Really, really disappointing, and the plot twist at the end was contrived and poorly set up.
Liam
Leon Uris was one of the greatest writers of historical fiction that ever lived. Even though it is not his best work, the present book was still absolutely spellbinding, and damned difficult to put down even to sleep at night. This was his last book; Mr. Uris died in June 2003, three months before it was published. Sadly, he apparently ran out of time and strength before he could finish it properly, which is easy to tell at the end for anyone familiar with his style. I would be willing to bet t ...more
Kim
I forgot how much I like Uris' writing style in the years since I've read any of his books.

I enjoy his kind of history, which is saying a lot because history is very rarely something I want to read about. I have no idea if this story is one-sided or riddled with inaccuracies as some claim about his other books. I know that while I was reading it I was feeling history come alive for me - which was rare and enjoyable.

I enjoy his strong and vivid characters, which were as strong in this book as in
Susan B
kind of bored with it in the beginning, he introduced a lot of characters that didn't seem to relate - then the story really evolved and had to race to the end. would recommend,
Deanna
Brilliant Uris, as usual. One of his best. That scene at the carnival was beautiful. No one writes a romantic history like Uris.
David
Bit of a soap opera, reads like a Harlequin Romance. Not up to the standard of his earlier works
Gerald
The protagonist Zachary O'Hara grew up in the Civil War years in the home of his dad the legendary U.S. Marine Paddy O'Hara. All Zachary ever wanted to be was a Marine like his dad. He enlists in the Marines and soon finds himself on the cutting edge of a fight to save the Marines themselves from being abolished from the U.S. military forces. Many powerful men are strongly convinced that the Marines are not needed.

Zachary is firmly convinced that the Marines are not only needed but will play a
Tom
I have loved just about everything else I've read by Uris. This book was not that good. The beginning read more like an outline than an actual novel - like the first 100 pages or so. The end was TERRIBLE! There were lots of places that were just nonsensical. I went back to read the dialogue to try and figure out who was doing the talking because I thought I had missed something, but no, the conversations did not make a great deal of sense. Now this book was Uris' last, and he died before it was ...more
Cathy
Not my favorite Uris book, but still an interesting read. For military enthusiasts, this provides a terrific backstory to te forming of the Marines (most takes place during the Cival War, but the story goes back and forth through time).
Roger
Reading some of the reviews I thought 'surely could not write this poorly.' I was wrong - he could. This book was a jumbled mess. The romance was awful. I speed read the last half just to get through it. This was NOT Trinity, Redemption, or Exodus.
Danny Borland
Not the best work of Leon Uris I was able to put this book down and didn't neglect studies work or my social life
Joan Paciero
Uris is an author I enjoy reading. He writes good historical fiction which is my favorite genre.
Janet
I found this book at a 2nd hand store and decided to read it because I loved Trinity, Exodus and Mila 18, all by Leon Uris. This book did not even come close to any of those books, so I was disappointed in it. I was also disappointed to discover that Leon Uris began using some pretty bad language and descriptions in his later years. That is not to say the story wasn't interesting, but it was not great. I was expecting great. And by the way, O'Hara's choice was pretty predictable. I saw the end c ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Since he was a World War II Marine, it seems fitting that Leon Uris' last novel like his first center around the Marine Corps. Zachary O'Hara is a second generation Marine, son of a Congressional Medal of Honor winner. The story jumps around over a sixty plus year period at the end of the 1800s. O'Hara has some personal demons and falls in love with a rich girl. Uris portrays the discrimination and prejudice that dominated during the period. He also deals with the Marine Corps struggle for its e ...more
Anthony
I believe this was one of the last books Uris wrote in his long illustrious career. Having read several of his earlier books, I always found his works to be both informative and historically accurate. O'Hara's Choice was a good story wrapped around a history of The United States Marine Corp. The story is both endearing and entertaining but not of the classic level of "Trinity" or "Battle Cry" but it is a good read especially for lovers of the history of the US and the USMC.
Deborah
Not up the the standard I expect from Uris. But still a good story.
emily
I've alway liked Leon Uris, I read Exodus when I was in 5th or 6th grade....my sister had to read it for high school, so I read her copy. This book is about the history of the Marines. Not having much military background, it was interesting to learn that they have been the after thought of the rest of the military. I picked up a copy of this book at a second hand book store. This is his last book, it was sent to print before he died.
Diane
Disappointing.
Sabrina
I really do hope that when people recommended Leon Uris to me, they hadn't O'Hara's Choice in mind.

That had to be one of the most boring thing that I've ever read; finishing this was like watching grass grow. The author spends more time talking about the characters instead of showing them in a skillfully way, the writing is choppy and at times incoherent. Immersion is impossible.
Bryan Boyd
A story about the beginnings of the Marine Corp and the reason for its being. A love story is woven thoughout the book and a young marine must choose between the Corps and a woman. This tale was not the best of Uris and I wonder if his death, some three months before the publishing of this book, left the manuscript in an unfinished state.
BJ Rose
It's been a long time since I read a Leon Uris novel, so when I saw this on a used-book shelf, I grabbed it. I don't know enough about the origins of the U;S. Marine Corps, so I don't know how much fact is intermingled with the fiction. I did enjoy the telling of its history, but agree with others that this was not one of Uris' best books.
Sam
I read Leon Uris's "Exodus" and it was amazing, one of my favorite books. So I had pretty high expectations for "O'Hara's Choice". Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It was kind of about Marines. But turned out to be a love story. And it just sucked ass. Will I try more Leon Uris in the future? I don't know.
Anna
Feb 06, 2010 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in how the Marine Corp was formed.
This doesn't have the impact that Trinity or Exodus did, but it was a good read. Pretty easy to read, put down, then pick up when you had a little time and you didn't lose your place. It was the last book that Leon Uris wrote before he died in 2003, so I wanted to see where he would go for his last book.
Jeri
I hadn't even realized that Leon Uris was still writing when this one came out. It was mildly interesting, but a letdown compared to my memory of earlier novels such as EXODUS and QB VII, which were riveting. The "big" ending and the "big" romance both fell flat with me.
Paul
Leon Uris has written some genius books, but this isn't one of them. It starts as a promising historical fiction dealing with the formation of the US marine corp, but soon descends into a turgid and pointless romance novel. At that point I gave up too.
Phil Allender
Some of the more critical reviewers have correctly panned this book, but I tried reading it anyway. But now, on page 280,
I give up and will not waste any more time trying to redeem this one. Se La Vie!
Sue
Historical fiction about the inception of the Marine Corps.

Had a hard time getting into the book. Kind of dry at the beginning, but then it go better. Young man has to make a choice between The Corps and the girl!
Aric
I read this a long time ago. But I remember thinking it was the worst Leon Uris book I had read. But then I read A God in Ruins, which was also bad. I guess times changed, and so did the settings for his book
Chuck
A history of the Marine Corps beginning with the Civil War. Good
premise but the writing is choppy and hard to follow. The dialogue
became so sappy that I quit before finishing. Uris has fallen far.
  • Southern Lady, Yankee Spy: The True Story of Elizabeth Van Lew, a Union Agent in the Heart of the Confederacy
  • Making Malcolm: The Myth And Meaning Of Malcolm X
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • In Darwin's Shadow: The Life and Science of Alfred Russel Wallace
  • Landfall
  • The Beauty Bias: The Injustice of Appearance in Life and Law
  • Freedom of Expression: Resistance and Repression in the Age of Intellectual Property
  • Hitler's War
  • The Essential Rosa Luxemburg: Reform or Revolution/The Mass Strike
  • Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers
  • Small Wars
  • The Moghul
  • The Right Hand of Sleep
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...