Start by marking “ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World” as Want to Read:
ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World

ZooBorns!: Zoo Babies from Around the World

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  43 reviews

A Simon & Schuster eBook
Published October 19th 2010 by Beach Lane Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about ZooBorns!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ZooBorns!

Kathryn
Aug 10, 2011 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves cute animal babies!
When I found this book on the new books shelf, I had to catch myself before uttering a loud squeal that would have certainly garnered me a few "shusshes!" But, come on, how cute is that bengal tiger cub on the cover!? ;-) And if even the sternest of librarians looked at the fifteen little pictures on the back cover (everything from baby hippos to baby foxes), I imagine their heart would melt, too.

The photographs in this book are darling!!! I think my favorites are the baby elephant playing with
Ann
This is an adorable collection of photographs of various baby animals -- from tigers to hyenas, aardvarks and fennec foxes. The minimal text that accompanies each photo is nice, giving the animals' name (in most cases) and their species (very cool for kids - or adults - interested in animals as some of the creatures herein are not those typically focused on).

The photographs are quite good and almost more "portrait-esque" while still focusing on the specific creatureality (a term coined by the fa
Peacegal
There must be a new book genre called “AWW!”, because my library has been getting in tons of books like this. Zooborns is basically just a chance to show off large color photographs of wild animal babies, from the instantly recognizable to the more exotic. Fans of the sort of adorable photography featured on Cute Overload will no doubt want to get their paws on this.

Really, the authors could have included some more facts about the animals within the main text instead of silly filler. A three-pa
Avery Maxwell
ZooBorns is an adorable book. My favorite part about this book is the fact that all of the pictures are of different animals that one might not see in a typical zoo. For example, I have never seen a pygmy hippo in a zoo around Western Washington, especially a baby hippo. I also liked the fact that the authors named all of the animals in the book because it could create a meaningful connection between the text and the children reading it. The pictures were also adorable, at the perfect angles, th ...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
ZooBorns is a picture book featuring baby animals from zoos around the world. Each page has an adorable baby, along with a little blurb about.

My son loves animals. As soon as I saw this book, I had to pick it up. He loves going through it. And of course, his favourite picture is the baby elephant on page 1.

I will admit to loving the book too. Since my son just wants to look at the pictures, I sat down with it by myself and read through each of the blurbs. The back few pages as more information a
Jasmine Stanford
I stumbled across this in a bookshop for a measly $3.95 and was immediately drawn to the adorable tiger cub on the cover. I grabbed it for my 5 year old daughter and have been reading her snippets. She loves the book, so much so she took it to school for news. She is currently intent on drawing every animal in the book and loves it even more! This book has amazing photos and I really liked that there was a mix of your standard zoo fare (tigers, elephants, zebra etc.) and some more unusual animal ...more
Mikey
Jan 07, 2015 Mikey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mikey by: Jen
They were all so cute! It was hard to decide which was my favorite!
Christyn
Okay, this book get's 4 stars simply because of the cuteness factor - it's adorable! I mean pictures of baby animals are about as cute as it gets. Each picture is accompanied by a few sentences introducing the animal by name (in most case) and species. The text with the picture's are simple and large allowing for easy reading for kids (or if they can't read yet, for their parents to read to them). There are also some interesting facts about each specific animal in the back of the book. Overall, ...more
Madeline
Adorable! I love baby animals.
Asho
I picked up this book at the library because I figured my 1 year-old would enjoy looking at the big pictures of cute baby animal faces, and I was right. He wanted to drag this all around the house with him (since he doesn't walk yet, though, I had to put the kibosh on that; crawling+library books don't mix). I wish there was a bit more of a story or more non-fiction content about the animals. There is some more detailed info about each animal at the end, which an older child might have patience ...more
jacky
Learned William could identify and say "Elephant" with this book. I just shared the pictures and animals names with them. Both kids found it interesting. Many of the animals Natalie didn't know, so she couldn't possibly guess from the baby pictures. She did enjoy guessing though. And, I thought it funny she said the hyena was a cat, when the text says they are closely related to cats.
Sam
Just as cute as the version I read about a week ago, but not nearly as informative. Much less info, and for a younger age (even more so than the other). Not a complaint, though, as it is obviously a children's book. And the first animal pictured was our own Beco the elephant, from The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. I've had the pleasure of watching him grow up in person.
Mary Ann
Utterly adorable photographs of newborn animals will bring “ooohs” and “ahhs,” but the clear text provides interesting information on animals ranging from an asian elephant to the tawny frogmouth (a bird with a very large mouth). “They call me Radar Ears, and I'm a fennec fox. My big ears help me hear yummy insects crawling across the sand.”
More than just cute pictures: this introduces youngsters to some unusual and endangered animals such as a Fennec Fox, Ocelot, and Okapi. Extra information about each species in the back matter explains the level of threat, the zoo where the baby was born, and engaging details that make each special.
Julie
This book gets five stars for causing my family to gather around it, simultaneously shouting, "Awwwww! Look at that one! AWWWWWW!" Plus also for teaching me a few new animals, and how they're all adorable. And now my 2-year-old keeps saying, "Oh my goodness!"
Mary
The baby animals are cute, which is a given. The text was too cutesy for me. I think the book could have benefitted from including actual information about the animals within the "story" instead of tucked away in tiny blurbs at the back of the book.
Bridget R. Wilson
What I thought: Simple text and gorgeous photos introduce young readers and listeners to baby zoo animals. I can't wait to use this in my zoo story time. My favorite photos are pygmy hippo and wombat.

Story Time Themes: Zoo, Baby Animals

Karen Arendt
This book is great for oohs and aaahs. Each two page spread introduces one baby animal and provides one or two interesting facts about itself. This would be a great way to introduce an animal unit or animal research. Great for K-2.
Christiane
Cute, cute pictures of baby animals. Great book to flip through when you're in a bad mood. Includes Western Pond Turtles from Woodland Park Zoo which I have seen and which are tiny and adorable!
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades K - 2

Photos and information about Zoo Babies from around the world. Each picture is paired with a short, first-person bio of the baby animal. Great info for younger kids.
Sherree
i found this book at the library, and my 18 month old daughter loves it. i think we've read it at least 50 times. i may have to find one to buy.
Lynn
Beautiful photography! Great text that could appeal to many ages - especially with the glossary in the back with more information about the animals.
Brandielle
Who doesn't love cute pictures of baby animals. Really well done photography and up close views of some unusual animals.
Elisabeth P.
Cute, easy reader book. It introduces some unusal animal babies and gives more description at the back.
Kristen Thorp
I only rated it high because it has cute baby animals. The text is too advanced for the intended age group.
Shannonmde
Jun 12, 2013 Shannonmde added it
Shelves: 2013, sydney
2 year old kiddo likes nonfiction. this book isn't too wordy for storytime with a 2 year old.
Kathy
Jim gave each animal a different voice when he read this to Jared. He loved it!
Ann
I wish there was more info about the animals instead of the 'cute' filler.
Amy
SOOO C-U-T-E (even the baby aardvark ... in a weird sort of way -- giggle)!
  • My First Day
  • Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Galapagos George
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
Andrew Bleiman is a lifelong animal nerd who serves on the Auxiliary Boards of the Lincoln Park Zoo and Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. In his day job he develops new media strategy for the Bradford Group.
More about Andrew Bleiman...
ABC ZooBorns! ZooBorns: The Newest, Cutest Animals from the World's Zoos and Aquariums ZooBorns Cats!: The Newest, Cutest Kittens and Cubs from the World's Zoos ZooBorns The Next Generation: Newer, Cuter, More Exotic Animals from the World's Zoos and Aquariums Welcome to the World, Zooborns!