Start by marking “Raising Kane (Rough Riders, #9)” as Want to Read:
Raising Kane  (Rough Riders, #9)

Raising Kane (Rough Riders #9)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  6,340 ratings  ·  218 reviews
She surrendered the reins. Now he's raising the stakes.

When a patch of ice sends attorney Ginger Paulson head-over-high-heels down a flight of stairs, she has no one to care for her young son and her invalid father - until lethally sexy Kane McKay shows up at the hospital, determined to prove his cowboy chivalry. Past experience has inoculated her against take-charge men,
ebook, Nook, 316 pages
Published July 2010 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Kane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Kane

Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary/Western Romance/Erotica/BDSM

Whew boy! LJ’s wildly sexy Rough Riders series, with its hunky, dominating, pant-inducing, studlicious cowboys, makes me smile, laugh, cry, and fan myself in utter erotic glee every single time. Kane McKay is another yummy, to die (and drop panties) for hero, and he and strong, independent lawyer Ginger are pure fire together. Raising Kane is another smokin’ hot, hawt, HOT read and one of my favorites of the series.

I just loved Kane’s sweet an
Auntee
Apr 25, 2011 Auntee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic romance; fans of the series
Can there be too much sex in an erotic romance? Uh...sorry to say, but yes, when it keeps the story from developing. Now don't get me wrong, no one can write an erotic scene quite like Lorelei James (her descriptions, the dirty dialogue...), but in Raising Kane, I thought it was a tad too much of a good thing. It got to the point that I (horrors) thought about skimming the umpteenth scene of Kane and his lady lawyer lover Ginger goin' at it. Yes, I thought that LJ got the point across quite well ...more
Dina
3 1/2 stars (Technically, this is the same rating I gave (to?) Shoulda Been A Cowboy, but I liked this book better so I'm rounding my rating up to 4 stars.)

Here's "my" Kane:

Photobucket

Note: I know Kane's Stetson hat is black, but I took the liberty of changing it for a white one. Why? Because he's "my" Kane and I can do whatever I want with him, LOL.
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Nov 02, 2010 ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness by: EVERYONE
This ladies is my Kane McKay *sigh*

[image error]

Did I read this book right? Because to me not only was it my second fav in the series but there wasn't the tell tale major bust up that traditionally happens about 3/4 ways through the book before the love declarations.

Kade and Kane were by far my favs. Their stories were unique to the other McKay books. No niggling families or grumpy dads, just hot rockin' sex that made me tremble in my cowgirl boots (and yes I do own a pair - in fact, I wore them
Robin *loves sexy books*
i cannot recommend these rough rider books highly enough. you've got sweet, sexy, dominant cowboys with hot little sassy women that keep them in line, what's not to love.

this is # 9, there are also 3 other books that are connected and i don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. or the other 2 books that i've read by lorelei james for that matter.

i loved kane and ginger, was so happy to see kane get his! and sweet little hayden.

the only question i had was, why did lorelei clarify at the be
Wendy
Woohoo, giddy-up! And it's another winner. It's hard to not love these dark haired, blue-eyed, silver tongued cowboys, with their bad boy charms both in and out of bed. Kane you sexy devil! Love it!
Ridley
There's not much to review, so this will be short.

Kane "Buck" McKay has been trying for years to drop his bad boy reputation. He's cut down on the boozing, stopped skirt-chasing and even signed up to be a mentor to a Little Buddy named Hayden. Unfortunately for him, Hayden's mom, Ginger Paulson, attracts him like flame to a moth, and that's against the program's rules. When she's laid up after a ice-fueled slip down a set of stairs, Kane agrees to help take care of her, her elderly father and Ha
MelissaB
Kane McKay is tired of living in the shadow of his former hell-raising lifestyle. He wants to move on with his life, grow up and settle down. He even knows who he wants to settle down with - sexy single mom Ginger Paulson. The problem is Ginger's eight year old son Hayden is Kane's Little Buddy and he is not supposed to have a relationship with a mom in the program that connects father-less young boys with an adult male mentor.

Ginger slips and falls down a flight of stairs, causing a hurt should
Beanbag Love
Well, I really enjoyed this one. It just had a sweetness throughout that was exactly what I wanted to read right now.

Kane McKay has been Hayden Paulson's 'big buddy' for two years. Ginger, Hayden's mom, is a gorgeous, amazonian red-head that Kane's had the hots for since day 1. She's felt the same but they've hidden it really well.

The story starts with her falling down the steps of her office and injuring herself badly enough that she can't take care of her son and invalid father. So, Kane step
Leah
Ever since Kane began cleaning up his act and becoming responsible in Tied Up, Tied Down, I've wondered what was going to happen to him, how he was going to get his happily ever after. Same goes for Ginger, especially after Branded As Trouble when Indy was jealous of the hot lawyer talking to Colt. So this book was the perfect remedy to my curiosity.

I wouldn't say that this was the best book of the series but it was definitely a good installment. It was great to see how Kane interacted with Ging
Melissa
So if anyone were to ask me if I could choose any of LL McKay men which one would it be? My reply would be seriously how can you ask me that, that would be like asking which one of my kids I love more!

Raising Kane is a great addition to the RR series, if I had any complaints at all it would be that it wasn't long enough, but truth be told I feel that way after all of her books. I just never want them to end it's like a soap. I can seriously reread them and never tire of any of them.

I would li
Kathleen
Oh My, where to start. I do not know how Lorelei does it. The story in this book is not what amazes me, it was the love and emotion in this book I thought was totally amazing. How she can take a simple story and make me feel it so amazing, well that is amazing in itself.

I loved everything about this book. Kane was sooo dam sexy, hot, and caring. I love that he had eye's only for Ginger. The sex/ love scenes again were of the charts HOT!

Lorelei has became one of my top favorite authors and I can
Dee
another 5 star book from Ms James! I've wanted to see Kane get his HEA since he is introduced in his twin brothers book and I wasn't disappointed! Ginger is the perfect wman for him!
♡♥Ang ♥♡
OMG I loved this one!!
Kane and Red(Ginger) were freaking AMAZING together!!
I loved all the new and old characters returning, meeting some of the other McCays was so good!!
The only thing that annoyed me was that it was the 9th book, but it was before Keely and Jack... But that's all right..

Cant wait for the next book.... i only hope November come fast!!!
Tam
I'm always a bit disappointed with Lorelei James. She has a large following but her writing style just doesn't hit the spot for me no matter how good her premises and characters are.

This is one of those example. I loved the characters. I loved the premise, conflicts and details of the plot. I especially like the inclusion of the "little buddies" program. There was so much good here. So so so much good. And yet, it just didn't hit the spot. I didn't eat it up, and I couldn't get sucked into the
chanceofbooks
I wasn’t sure I would like Raising Kane at all, and I actually read it after finishing the rest of the series. I didn’t like Kane’s twin brother’s story, and Kane himself is a bit of an abrasive lout the first four or five books of the series. But, I should have trusted James more—she redeems Kane quiet nicely, and I truly believed that he had repented for his earlier mistakes. In fact, he’s been doing a bit of penance for the last several years—living isolated in his trailer, doing the crap job ...more
Guilty Pleasures
One of my favorites of the series, which is saying alot because I LOVE all of them. Being a single mom I can relate to Ginger the most of all the McKay women, she's strong and somewhat a control freak. I actually learned alot about myself reading this story.

NOTE: This book actually takes place between Book # 7 Shoulda Been A Cowboy and Book # 8 All Jacked Up. I would read Raising Kane before All Jacked Up, ater All Jacked Up, read Slow Ride (Free short story about Keely's wedding reception) the
Angela
Another great one in this series! Love Kane! He's one of my favorites. I really like Ginger and thought their story was so sweet (and steamy!)
Booklover1335
Jul 20, 2010 Booklover1335 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves erotic romance
Shelves: 2010
Kane McKay was a man that almost single-handedly created the legendary bad boy image that the McKay men are known for. Yet throughout the Rough Riders series we’ve seen Kane transform himself into the man he decides he wants to be, which is more than a man known for his sexual exploits; a man who is ready for love and the responsibilities of having a family of his own....even if no one else believes that this leopard can change his spots.

Ginger Paulson is a strong and independent woman who is an
Jane Stewart
Not much plot or character development, but good fun erotic cowboy romance. It’s like eating candy.

STORY BRIEF:
Ginger is a single mother with an 8-year-old boy Hayden. Ginger was not married to Hayden’s father who died in an accident. Her father Dash is confined to a wheelchair and lives with Ginger and Hayden. Ginger took over her father’s law practice when he retired.

Kane used drink a lot and had sex with lots of women. He stopped. Now he spends time ranching and mentoring young boys in the L
Lisa (Fic Talk)

Kane, Kane, Kane...

I loved his story of redemption, really I did.

When we first met him in Kade's book I thought he was a douche-bag along with Colt, but seriously? I think that Kane "Buck" Mckay really changed and for the better.

I thought he was adorable, to an extent. Don't get me wrong, there were things that seemed a little out there for me, like Kane doing ALL the chores at his place and then going over to Ginger's and doing all of hers and barely getting much sleep to then get up at the bu
Danielle
Lorelei James is quickly topping the charts of one of my favorite authors. Not only was Raising Kane a great treat it was emotional.

"She surrendered the reins. Now he’s raising the stakes

When a patch of ice sends attorney Ginger Paulson head-over-high-heels down a flight of stairs, she has no one to care for her young son and her invalid father. Until lethally sexy Kane McKay shows up at the hospital, determined to prove his cowboy chivalry. Past experience has inoculated her against take-charg
Ni_kii
This review was written for http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.com.

The rough riders series is set around the McKay family and their ranches. The McKay family is made up of lots and lots of Alpha Cowboys with some VERY raunchy habits. They all have similar names (Incredibly confusing...I can never remember who is married to who!) and all are high-handed and hardheaded. Raising Kane is book 9. These books can be read as stand-alone, but I recommended that you don’t. Kane, for example, was introd
Aimee
No need to point out good, bad, or raunchy. It's Lorelei James. Hot cowboys, raunchy and sinfully hawt sex. What's more to love? My only complaint is that the next book isn't out yet!

But really. One thing I love about Lorelei James is that her books are more than just erotica. There's actual depth to her characters, which is entirely too rare in this genre. I've bonded with each of her characters on a personal level. I'm so glad that she's drawn attention to some more McKay boys. I was getting
Sophie
If you would give me the option of picking any cowboy..it would NO DOUBT be Kane McKay...he is the one character that without too many turnarounds, ends up being the man that everybody dreams of. I have to say that this book even though not placed within the time line as it should be, doesn't distract you from continuity, as you know which one follows and why. All main characters in this book are breathtaking...and the match of Ginger & Kane is just to die for.....<3
It had it all - I cried, I laughed and I was intensely enthralled. Ginger and Kane were awesome. A great match made from the start. Their story was hot, steamy and great! Kane was a good, misunderstood man and Ginger was the only person who saw him for who he really was, not who he'd been. I loved it and was pissed when it was over. I want more Lorelei James and the sooner the better:)
I cannot say how much I loved this book!!! Is it bad that everytime I read a McKay book I want to drive up there and try to find them???? No spoiler, but there seemed to be a huge set up for Brandt/Jessie next. Dare I hope??? Oh Ms. james, if I do your laundry will you write faster???
Maldivianbookreviewer
Kane McKay is definitely the stuff dreams are made of!
I loved this story of raunchy hot love between Kane McKay and Ginger Paulson from its beautifully done cover to its very last pages and everything in between. Great read!
Full review can be found up on my blog: http://bit.ly/bpa6Qb
Gail
I just finished this book-It was my first Lorelei James book. I won't be my last!!I Love Kane he makes me glad I live in Texas where we have alot of good cowboys.Kane is one terrific guy and he makes you smile just reading about him.
Stephanie
Huh, I have to admit I was a little disappointed with this book. Not sure why, but I just didnt have the same "warm fuzzy" feelings while reading that I did for all of the other Rough Riders books.
  • UnRidden (Studs in Spurs, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • Southern Comfort (Compass Brothers, #2)
  • A Tall Dark Cowboy
  • Promises Linger (Promises, #1)
  • Half Hearts
  • A Little Harmless Obsession (Harmless, #3)
  • Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)
  • Roping the Wind (Turner Brothers, #2)
  • Northern Exposure (Compass Brothers, #1)
  • Breaking Brent (Roped, #2)
  • Siren Enslaved (Texas Sirens, #3)
  • Inside Out (Brown Siblings, #3)
Lorelei James is New York Times & USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary erotic westerns and erotic romances. She lives in western South Dakota.
More about Lorelei James...

Rough Riders (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1)
  • Rode Hard, Put Up Wet (Rough Riders, #2)
  • Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3)
  • Tied Up, Tied Down (Rough Riders, #4)
  • Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders, #5)
  • Branded as Trouble (Rough Riders, #6)
  • Shoulda Been a Cowboy (Rough Riders, #7)
  • All Jacked Up  (Rough Riders #8)
  • Cowgirls Don't Cry (Rough Riders, #10)
  • Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders #11)
Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3) Rough, Raw, and Ready (Rough Riders, #5) Tied Up, Tied Down (Rough Riders, #4) All Jacked Up  (Rough Riders #8)