Start by marking “Only Death is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost, 1981-1985” as Want to Read:

4.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

This formidable oversized hardcover runs 288 pages (including a 32-page color section), and combines hundreds of unseen early Hellhammer and Celtic Frost photos with a vast treasure trove of artwork and memorabilia. A substantial written component by Fischer details his upbringing on the outskirts of Zurich, Switzerland, and the hardships and triumphs he faced bringing the
Published March 30th 2010 by Bazillion Points

To ask other readers questions about Only Death is Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Death is Real

Nate
Apr 27, 2010 Nate rated it it was amazing
so many great pictures in here. hellhammer were fucking killer and this more than redeems warrior's pretentious autobiography where he slags off the band as childish noise. fuck that. hellhammer were the shit and infinitely more heavy and interesting than the later goth rock garbage and sissy glam metal he'd do later. morbid tales and to mega therion were great and all, but after that theres a sharp decline in quality. its good to see a very well done book that covers the real deal
Simon Harvey
Oct 10, 2012 Simon Harvey rated it really liked it
This proved a truly excellent way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon in the recliner with a few tall cans of Pilsner Urquell. I only listened to Hellhammer and Celtic Frost for the next couple days, too.

It's a much better read than you might imagine, and a fine visual companion piece to Warrior's ridiculously entertaining memoir "Are You Morbid?".
Death Metal
Nov 23, 2013 Death Metal rated it really liked it
Shelves: metal
This book about the early years of Hellhammer would be compelling for its content, written by the main composer of the band itself, but it also brings a mass-load of excellent photographs to the table, and is edited and written well such that there is no redundancy or off-topic woolgathering. Instead, we get a clear picture of the youth of Tom G. Warrior and his musical influences, as well as the shaping of his and Martin Ain's thought that led to the creation of the classic Hellhammer work "Apo ...more
Ramakrishnan M
Jan 04, 2015 Ramakrishnan M rated it really liked it
phenomenal history. absolutely mind blowing to read of the struggles faced by Tom g warrior and co...in building he'll hammer and then eventually Celtic frost

read it to be inspired
Graham
Jan 26, 2011 Graham rated it really liked it
This book is killer for its comprehensive collection of photos and documentation of Hellhammer/early Celtic Frost. The descriptions offered by various members provide some insight, but rely really heavily on reminding the reader of how hard everything was before the internet and how easy the kids today have it. Great book for metal fans, though. Probably not for anybody else.
Guy M
Dec 16, 2010 Guy M rated it really liked it
It's pretty marvelous to quite literally witness the evolution of one of the most important musical acts of all time in conjunction with Fischer's emotionally theatrical narration. The contributions by Ain are particularly great as well. If reading this doesn't make you want to go rent a bunker and create aural impurity with some buddies, you're doing something wrong.
Ridge Briel
A wonderful book that encapsulated the prototype of one of the most important bands in metal today. I loved browsing the photos, most especially the fanzine facsimiles at the end. I sincerely hope Tom Gabriel Fischer writes more books like this detailing Celtic Frost, Triptykon, and Apollyon Sun, among also his various contributions to other bands as well.
Doug Swift
Feb 21, 2015 Doug Swift rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Being the same age as Tom, but living in Canada, I often felt the same way as he did - never really connecting with anyone who loved extreme music as much as me. I could really relate to his honesty and confusion in my youth. How I wish I would have connected with them in my youth through Penbangers. Fantastic book IMHO.
Lori
Oct 10, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
I'm sorry Celtic Frost, but I just can't finish this book. I tried so hard, but reading about concert dates and line-up changes is just not that exciting. This book needs a little spice...
Terence
Feb 11, 2012 Terence rated it liked it
Shelves: music, subculture
Tedious but interesting. Some great images and ephemera from an early purveyor of dark music.
Dave
May 08, 2010 Dave rated it it was amazing
Thomas Gabriel Warrior explains his artistic muse. Arm yourself.
patrick crawford
Dec 30, 2010 patrick crawford rated it it was amazing
heavy metal history
James
James marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ulver
Ulver marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Viktor
Viktor marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
John Savvidis
John Savvidis marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Rob Perez
Rob Perez marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
James Nacht
James Nacht rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Syxysc
Syxysc marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Bijan Ayati
Bijan Ayati marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
JUAN SALINAS
JUAN SALINAS marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Rodrigo
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Annie Hoxhalli
Annie Hoxhalli marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Tobias Asplund
Tobias Asplund marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries
  • Swedish Death Metal
  • True Norwegian Black Metal
  • Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1