Start by marking “Off the Record” as Want to Read:
Off the Record

Off the Record

Jane Marlow is a true-blue good girl: plain, predictable, and perfectly responsible. But when her brother catches an episode of Music One's "Off the Record," he discovers that former pop sensation Teddy Rock is actually their childhood neighbor Theodore Brockford, and that his one-hit wonder twelve years earlier wasn't just a catchy tune that took the charts by storm-it wa ...more
Published August 28th 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Record, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Record

Jodie
Dec 31, 2010 Jodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book One of the Heather, Stephanie, Jodie bi-monthly 2011 bookclub!!

I was not sure if I was going to like this one or not, but it was a good, quick read. It is a great chic lit read. Just the right amount of funny with equal parts sarcasm and reality. I like the format and the character development. An enjoyable read.
Sarah Apsey-Barres
Jun 27, 2011 Sarah Apsey-Barres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If I were 7-10 years younger I probably would have given this five stars. The fact is, it's not that bad of a book. I found some typos in the copy I read which irks me to no end; I remember a time when books would not even get published if they were anything less than grammatically perfect, but I guess that's what happens when you let the uneducated masses out into the world employed as adults in jobs that come with big decision-making. Such as, whether or not to release a book because it's got ...more
Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
Jane Marlow is a buttoned-up Chicago attorney up for partnership’s evaluation at her law firm. In her effort to get ahead she has neglected all the other areas of her life: family, friends and especially romance.

Differently from other reviews I read I don’t think this book focuses on corporate culture or pop culture. The book opens with a swedish proverb “Those who wish to sing always find a song“, truer words were never spoken, Off The Record is about finding your inner voice and give yourself
Kaion
Mar 29, 2010 Kaion rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Chick-lit isn't really my genre, so I didn't know what to really expect going into Off the Record. A romcom plot, apparently, minus the comedy part.

A novel about straight-laced lawyer finding out she was the inspiration for a one-hit-wonder's crooning about her 'wanton thighs' could have used a suffusion of good humor or at least a sense of delightful absurdity. Instead it seemed to suffer the same stick-in-the-mud mentality of its heroine, Jane. I suppose it is a little absurd in its attempts t
Marsha
On the surface, an enjoyable chick-lit story about a staid, dependable woman discovering her wild side. Beneath the surface—not much else. But this is an enjoyable romp and a light-hearted read about finding out how much fun it can be to kick off the traces every now and then. We, too, can live vicariously through this fun-filled ride as Jane Marlow, aka Janey 245, learns how to balance being a party girl with being the responsible one in the family.

If there was one thing that irked me, it was
Krystal
Apr 18, 2008 Krystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
The book was made up of several phrases repeated over and over again. I wanted to stop reading the train wreck, but for some obscure reason kept on. A no nonsense trust lawyer comes to believe she is the woman in a very famous song, written by her former neighbor (one she barely knew then).
It follows as she relives her past and tries to change her future. "Janey" awakening to her crap life is too predictable, the plot is pounded into the ground, and I knew the outcome after a couple pages. I'm
Andi (Andi's ABCs)

Super cute story. Like in all of the other books I have read by O'Connell, this was no different. She has a way with words that sucks you into the lives of her characters whether is is a young adult fiction or adult fiction like Off the Record. You find yourself cheering for the main characters and wanting them to get the most out of life. Although I had a feeling where this was going from the beginning it thrilled me to read it all the way to the end. Jane was a lost lovable soul that
Kim
Mar 06, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick, entertaining read. The main character was extremely likeable and someone I could identify with. It was fairly predictable, but I am completely ok with that. This is the second book I have read that was written by Jennifer O'Connell and I have yet to be disappointed. The only drawback was that the editing left something to be desired at times. The proofreader in me had a hard time with some of it.
Lisa
Nov 22, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story sounded more fun than it actually was. When Janie was young, she lived near the young boy Teddy, who grew up to be a rock star with a one-hit. As he attempts a comeback, he admits that the song is about Janie and she is thrusted into the limelight and they begin a romance. I could see exactly where the story was headed from page one and therefore, I read it quickly and apathetically.
Christy
I wrote a more indepth review here:

But I did like the book. I would have given it 3.5 stars if I could. The only reason I didn't rate it higher was because of poor editing and predictability. Otherwise it was a very entertaining piece of chic lit.
Anna
Apr 24, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: rhonda
"Underneath our respectable pin-striped suits, we're all rock stars at heart."

what a fun read!
this light-hearted story illustrates the saying "the best laid plans ..."

(I do agree that the few typos and grammatical mistakes were annoying but they did not distract from the characters and story ... it does beg the question of what do editors actually do?)
Amanda
Mar 04, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Cute book about a straight-laced girl who discovers that she appears to be the inspiration for a rock song which seems to be about a much looser person than she is, and what she discovers about herself. I really enjoyed it, thought it had some insight into popular culture and what it means to sell an image and what is behind the image that is sold.
Coriander
I liked Off the Record better than Dress Rehearsal. Still in the end the book felt like a non-ending. Each of the books I have read of hers seem to finish as though they are left open for another book to begin.
Tenna
Oct 26, 2010 Tenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was totally silly and very predictable but still entertaining!
Kristin Dragomire
Aug 28, 2008 Kristin Dragomire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, easy read... good summer reading
Jessy245
Sep 10, 2011 Jessy245 rated it liked it
At first I seriously considered not finishing it, which is rare for me, but once I was a third of the way into it I was interested. Fun, quick, light read.
Staci
Nov 13, 2008 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to like this book but I did. I needed some chick lit and this did the trick.
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 10, 2008
Jerrica
Jerrica rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2012
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Tasam
Tasam rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Kellyj
Kellyj rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Amanda Ainge
Amanda Ainge rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
serenitiqq
serenitiqq rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2008
Pamlin
Pamlin rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Sheena
Sheena rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Nice Girls Finish First
  • Reality TV Bites
  • A Clean Slate
  • Chicago Noir
  • Now Zoey's Alone (Making Out, #24)
  • You Could Do Better
  • The Washington Story
  • Hot Tamara
  • Lost Chicago
  • City of Big Shoulders: A History of Chicago
  • Devil May Care: A Novel
  • Mirror, Window: Artbabe Coll.
Published teen fiction under the name Jenny O'Connell.

Although she's written about a reality dating show, a prescient pastry chef, and a woman who inspired an 80's rock hit, Jennifer has not spent hours dissecting The Bachelor, she can barely follow the directions on the back of a Betty Crocker box, and she can only dream of a long-haired, guitar-thrashing rocker even giving her a second glance.

Wh
More about Jennifer O'Connell...