Start by marking “Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)

Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  21,665 ratings  ·  1,346 reviews
Maddie Moore's whole life needs a makeover.

In one fell swoop, Maddie loses her boyfriend (her decision) and her job (so not her decision). But rather than drowning her sorrows in bags of potato chips, Maddie leaves L.A. to claim the inheritance left by her free-spirited mother—a ramshackle inn nestled in the little coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington.

Starting over won...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Forever (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Simply Irresistible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simply Irresistible

Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
61st out of 2,502 books — 5,673 voters
Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesSomething About You by Julie JamesPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenPractice Makes Perfect by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie James
Best Romance Books Ever
71st out of 1,863 books — 1,947 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Do yourself a favor and don’t waste your time reading reviews. Just skip them and go buy this book. Just do it. But if you just can’t help yourself, if you simply must read a review, I’ll give you a little something more.

Simply Irresistible is the first book in the Lucky Harbor series and such a great story. I'm sitting here with this silly grin on my face because it's been a long time since I've read a book, any book, that had me smiling, giggling, sighing and fanning myself as much as this on...more
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Dec 05, 2011 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a sexy, humorous, and makes you happy Contemporary Romance
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Zosia
5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Do. Not. Resist. This. Book! READ IT. NOW!!! FOR THE SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE JAX CULLEN, ALONE! JILL SHALVIS ROCKS!!!
(I decided to repeat this straight up top, instead of waiting till near the end of my review. LOL)

Zosia, Thanks for your review of this, which made me want to read it!

After the amazing yet emotionally intense and tumultuous experience of The Bronze Horseman Trilogy, I needed a light and humorous yet-still-touch-me-emotionally kind of...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Review posted on: Swept Away By Romance

4 to 4 1/2 stars

I loved this book! Loved it!

Simply Irresistible is my first experience reading a Jill Shalvis book and it certainly won't be my last! I'm still baffled by how long it's take me to read one of her books.

Simply Irresistible is a sweet, flirty, feel good romance overflowing with wonderful characters, humor, romance, and a swoonalicious hero that deserves to be called a hero.

Oh, how I love Jax! He's everything I admire in a hero! The heroine,...more
Jae
Holy tool belt! What a wonderful read. My eyes were glazed and I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time reading this book. A very HOT Jax Cullen would do that to you. Then again so will Ford or Sawyer.

Maddie the Mouse kinda reminds me a bit of Sandra Bullock in 'While You Were Sleeping'. She was all klutzy, shy and awkward but in a cute way of course. Maddie, Tara and Chloe together were a lethal combination, they just cracked me up.

Simply put, I loved this book. Heading out to Tara's stor...more
Lisa Kay
Washington State Pacific Coastline
★★★★½ Wonderful book and just what I needed right now after reading about the murder of -- not one -- but two beloved characters in another series. Ms. Shalvis has long been a favorite author, and she knocks it out of the ball park with this one, a story of three sisters who inherit an inn. With plenty of humor and hilarity; frustration, fights, fears, and tears; secrets and sizzling sex.

But, it is not all that chick-lit-ish. It’s a romance! Both Maggie and Jax...more
♡Karlyn P♡
I'd rate it 4.5. I'll be reading the next for sure. I didn't fully buy the relationship conflict that came near the end, but the rest of it was funny, hot, and had such likable characters. I'm a sucker for small town romances too. Jax was serious hero candy, and I liked Maddie quite a bit!

The series is based on three half sisters inheriting a run down inn on the coast of Washington. They don't really know each other well, so we see some fun bonding moments. When Jax and Maddie meet it sizzles...more
Limeminearia
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was my first Jill Shavis novel, and I really liked it :)

If you're in the mood for something light, romantic and funny, this is your book :)

The story - This is the first in the series, so we have introductions to all the characters, male and female. There are three sisters who inherited the Lucky Harbour Inn. They're estranged and want nothing to do with the place, all except Maddie. She's had some rough time in her past, an abusive ex, and a difficult job she got fired from. She wants to s...more
Dija
Aug 02, 2012 Dija rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of small town romances
*Buddy read with Brit! You can read her review here.*

I generally tend to love small town romances, but I had a lot of trouble connecting with the characters in Simply Irresistible and that mostly ruined my enjoyment of the story.

Maddie is, simply put, a doormat. She regained some of her inner strength by the end, but throughout the story, I didn't really develop any feelings for her. I didn't like her, didn't hate her, she was just there. The only thing we have in common is our love for chips.

J...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
As I often say, I'm not a writer or professional reviewer, but I know what I like. This series is light and easy to read. It's very enjoyable for me. This first book is a great start to the series and sets up the cast of characters very well. I love when a story takes place in a town like the one Jill Shalvis has created for this series. It's a town I can connect with and picture easily in my mind. It's a place I'd love to be able to visit. The characters are the same way. Great book!
Bekah
When I read a great book, it's almost as if I become incoherent. I lose the ability to adequately express to you how good it was in an articulate manner because what I really want to do is jump up and down clapping my hands in glee. Not helpful, but the excitement should translate. I LOVED this book. More accurate, I LOVED the hero Jax. He shoots up to probably third in my top ten. Which I'm still developing btw, so if any of you out there have heroes you want me to add, send them my way!!!

Madd...more
Diana~
Oh man, if you're looking for a book that will definitely be tugging your heartstrings, look no further. Simply Irresistable is that book! With an irresistable and sexy hero name Jax and a clumsy, soft-spoken, and adorable heroine... I totally fell in love with this book and its characters. The book simply captured me from the very first page and I was dying to see the ending result of Jax and Maddie's relationship. Let's just say that the ending was definitely what I was looking for! *wink* For...more
KatLynne
This is the first book in a new Trilogy by Shalvis about three sisters who inherit a seaside resort from their free-spirited mother. This is my 3rd book by Jill Shalvis and so far the best for me. This book grabbed me from the first page and I fell in love with Lucky Harbor and it's characters. Maddie and her two half sisters have not spent much time together, but now they are meeting in Lucky Harbor, Washington to claim the inheritance left by their mother. The Resort is in need of repairs and...more
valee
Oh wow, this was just what I had been looking for: A sweet-sexy-fun read. If I had known I would have liked this book so much I would have read it much sooner. I'm excited to see I have found a new fav author to read. I just realized as well that I have already read another series from her, although I didn't know both had been written by her till some days ago. I'm talking about the Wilder series, which I loved as well.

This book was witty and funny, one of those you just can't put down once you...more
Saly
Simply Irresistible is the first in the Lucky Harbor series. Maddie who has recently lost her job and dumped her abusive boyfriend makes her way to Lucky Harbor where her flighty mother(she wasn't closed with her and was raised by her father) and her two-half sisters have inherited a resort. Maddie is looking for a change(she no longer wants to be the mouse) and wants a closer relationship with her sisters.
The resort isn't in that great a shape, but Maddie convinces her sisters to give it a shot...more
willaful
3.5 stars. This has a pretty by-the-numbers series start: small town where everyone knows everyone’s secrets, three sisters (blonde, brunette, redhead), three gorgeous guy friends (town mayor, town sheriff, town bartender/athlete/man-slut.) Of course one of the sisters and one of the guys has a past--the one secret nobody in town knows about. But that's for a later book.

What takes this book out of the realm of the ordinary is the truly nummy hero. I think contemporary romance heroes are probably...more
Keertana
When it comes to Simply Irresistible, there are only three things you need to know.

1.) Jax Cullen.
2.) He does not look like this:
3.) He looks like this:

Hmm...still here? You're not running to find a copy of this book yet? Well, in that case...Take 2!

Simply Irresistible, I have to admit, is a resistible piece of work...if you don't open its cover, that is. Once you begin reading this romance novel, you'll be hard-pressed to put it down. From the beginning itself, it's difficult not to become...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I had higher hopes for these books. I've been debating what to write for reviews for the three I've read so far, and honestly, I think I can probably use the same review for each one. Because here's the story in a nutshell:

Girl inherits dilapidated inn, is reunited with her two half-sisters, meets a guy, can't control her raging hormones, has copious amounts of sex with said guy, resists a relationship because she's an infuriatingly simple-minded moron with the emotional maturity of a toilet bru...more
Julie
Aug 23, 2012 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Contemporary Romance Lovers
Recommended to Julie by: One Wicked Romance A Week Book Group
Maddie Moore is the middle sister of three and feels all the angst of an "invisible" middle sibling. Known as "the mouse," Maddie realizes she has totally lived up to the timid, little image everyone has always assigned to her, especially when she thinks of the recent disastrous events of her life. However, Maddie has determined to set her life on a new path, a stronger more self-assured path. She will be the determiner of her own destiny. On her way to a small coastal Washington town to meet h...more
Shannon Stacey
A really fun but emotional read. Great characters. Not only the primary characters, but the people of Lucky Harbor, as well. Sweet and poignant while laugh out loud funny and I can't wait until the next one.
Mandi Schreiner
Favorite Quote: Note to self: always choose sex over physical labor!

Maddie is ready for a new beginning. After breaking up with her abusive boyfriend and losing her job, she is down in the dumps. Her mother passed away recently, and although she grew up with her father and never had a close relationship with her grateful dead worshipping mom, she is still grieving the loss. Her mother left Maddie and her two half-sisters an inn in the coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington. Deciding to leave t...more
Lisa
Simply Irresistible was the first book I’ve read by Jill Shalvis. I absolutely loved it! This book was just so darn cute . I am now an adoring fan of Ms. Shalvis! This book was everything a contemporary romance should be – funny, witty, charming, sexy, sweet.... Yes, I could go on and on.

Our heroine, Maddie, arrives in Lucky Harbor due to the fact that her recently deceased mother has left her and her two half sisters an inn. For me, Maddie was such a great character. I loved her. I wanted to be...more
Nikki
3.5 stars.

I was left a little disappointed to be honest. This had the makings of a fab CR - 3 sisters reunited and getting to know each other, seriously HOT hero, shy heroine coming into her own... but I just didn't feel it. It's like it was set up perfectly and then skimmed over the surface.

I was dismayed by the attitudes of Tara and Chloe and really wanted Maddie to tell them both to grow the hell up. The constant bickering was exhausting and the time wasted with that could have given us somet...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series. Simply irresistible! Fun, entertaining and a little heart-wrenching. I fell hard for Jax! Can't wait for the rest of the series.

"Where did that flashlight come from?" Chloe asked.
"My purse."
Chloe looked at Tara. "She carries a flashlight in her purse."
"For emergencies," Maddie said, trying to see into the yard.
"You have any chocolate?" Chloe asked hopefully. "For emergencies?"
"Of course. Side Pocket, next to the fork."

Brittany B.
Aug 02, 2012 Brittany B. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls with sisters!!
Recommended to Brittany B. by: Buddy Read with Dija
Buddy Read with Dija:

I will consult with my buddy on the review. I think she had trouble connecting to the characters, which I understand.
But here are some of my initial thoughts:

I have lots of issues, and many have to do with my expectations. My end total rating is 3.5.
** I wasn't able to read this uninterrupted. And I'm trying to take that into consideration. But I feel like a lot of nothing happened until the last 10% of the book.

I also hoped for less of the appearance/weight obsessed/co...more
Juliana
(3.5 stars) I learned about this book from my beloved goodreads friends ;-). It's my first Jill Shalvis novel and one I would definitely recommend, though I'm glad I got it from the library. I will say that Jax is such a delicious and wonderful hero, that I might end up caving and ordering it from PBS for that reason alone ... no self-control, it's ridiculous.

The story is a cute one, with no real heavy issues. There were some that could have been further developed or explored, like Jax's relatio...more
Crista
This book started my Lucky Harbor obsession that began on Dec.21st and continued on right up until Christmas. I read the first 3 books in this series in 3 days (when I should've been baking, cleaning, shopping, wrapping, and getting ready for our out of town guests:) I was hooked right away and I enjoyed every moment spent with this family of girls and the men that love them.

Simply Irresistable is Maddie's book. Tara, Chloe, and Maddie are sisters who share the same mother, but all have differen...more
Lady Heather
Oh my where do I start?

I LOVED the characters, writing, story, and the setting.

The Main characters:
Maddie: Maddie had me laughing out loud so many times, even though all the situations weren't funny, it was how she handled them that was just so natural and normal.
Jax: WOW.. what a wonderful Hero! He was not the perfect 'savior', and had his own demons to deal with, but He was at a point in his life where He knew what He wanted, and wasn't willing to compromise His beliefs or integrity.

The second...more
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Working in retail at this time of year is "no bed of roses"..and where can you find anywhere quiet?
Well the library is always a good bet,and after seeing this book pop up on goodreads friends"currently reading" or "to have,want,or buy"..guess what just happen to be sticking out and catch my eye? Well this week I needed something lighter to get me threw the week so..why not? This book was the perfect pick-me-upper! What a riot!The characters had me laughing from the first page to the last!(certai...more
  • One Good Reason
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Bring Him Home
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • Until There Was You
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • On the Steamy Side (Recipe for Love, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo...more
More about Jill Shalvis...
Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6) At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)

“If I looked like him,” Tara said. “I’d want to have sex with myself. All the time.” 172 likes
“Just when you think you’ve hit rock bottom, someone will hand you a shovel.” 120 likes