Blank-133x176
Dark War

Tim Waggoner

Dark War (Matt Richter #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Meet Matt Richter. Zombie. PI.

From his arrival at Nekropolis, Matt has found himself embroiled in disputes with the city's vampire lords, shapeshifters, golems and other monstrosities.

Nothing has prepared him for the Dark War.

File Under: Urban Fantasy [ Turf | Fang Gangs | Endurance | Dead Streets ]

From the Paperback edition.
Published December 1st 2010 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2010)

Rabindranauth
War is brewing, assorted body fluids are going to drown Nekropolis, and the absolutely no one cares about stopping it.

But what of our valiant hero, the zombie detective Matt Richter, you ask? Nope, he doesn’t have time to prevent Nekropolitans from doing what they love to do, dismembering each other viciously. He has other issues on his plate. Magic users all over Nekropolis have vanished, and Talaith, Queen of the Arcane, decides to have some of her Arcane servants attack property of Varvara, Q...more
Nikki
It took me a while to get into this series, but now I'm sure I'll be following it to its conclusion -- which I certainly hope this book wasn't, with that ending. It's opening out more and more from a simple story of a PI whose gimmick is that he's a zombie: he just saved the underworld for the third time and there's no way he's getting out of the spotlight now. Besides, his wife's bearing twins.

The writing improves throughout the three books, or at least I didn't notice as many things that jarre...more
Stacey
I received this book via Goodreads First Reads.

This review is TERRIBLY late but here goes…I have enjoyed this series very much – I purchased Nekropolis and Dead Streets on my Sony Reader (am I the only person who doesn’t have a Kindle – grr!) because I won the third book!

I thoroughly enjoy Matt Richter and the undead detective/underworld idea. I believe that this book would be fine if read alone but I highly recommend reading the books in order – you miss out on sooo much if you don’t!

I do not...more
Erin Channell
Received a free copy via Goodreads First reads.

I've really enjoyed this series (picked up #1 & #2 because I won #3 :)). It's a unique concept for a series, both from a setting as well as character standpoint. I highly recommend reading the books in order to get the full impact of the story.

Without giving too much away about the series, this book follows Matt (main character) as he once again tries to save the world and remain in one piece. It's been entertaining to see his development as a...more
Bailey Meeker
I received this book through a firstreads giveaway.

This is an amazing series thus far, and I eagerly await the next installment. I have been a fan of Simon R Green for a bit over a year now, and so I was very excited to get a free copy of this book, which seemed very like The Nightside. I immediately bought the Kindle versions of the two previous Matt Richter books, which are fairly inexpensive. These are also excellent, although they feel like displaced Green novels. This one is entirely uniqu...more
Beki
zombies, demons, alternative dimentions, magic and action. i relly like this series, this is the third book. not one of my top 20 books to read, but something different to what you would normally expect.
Amanda
If you've ever found yourself wondering what it would be like to live as a Zombie Detective in an alternate universe ruled by Darkfolk Lords and monsters, then this is the book for you! Dark War, by Tim Waggoner, is the third book in this action-packed, Urban Fantasy series featuring "Matt Richter. Private Eye. Zombie" as the chief character and narrator. Richter is supported through his journeys by an all-star cast that consists of his wife, Devona, a Human-Vampire half mix, a seemingly young w...more
Nina at Death Books and Tea
ALL THE LOVE!!!
Review: After falling to pieces and getting thorough all of that, Matt Richter really just wants to settle down with half-vampire girlfriend Devona. But, this being Nekropolis. That’s really unlikely. After sorting stuff out in parallel world, he goes home to find even more problems. The Arcane (witches and wizards) are blaming the Demonfolk for recent Arcane disappearances. The Demonfolk aren’t happy and a war threatens to break out. But there’s something else bugging Matt…
Ami
Yvensong
In compliance with FTC guidelines: I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Very entertaining, dark, witty, and well-paced novel following the exploits of Matt Richter, a private detective who happens to be the only self-willed zombie in Nekropolis. Alongside him are three other interesting characters: his love and partner, Devona, a half-human, half-vampire woman, Varney, a full-blood vampire, and Shamika, who is a new character in this series.

The world-building continues to b...more
Tarl
Out of the three books, I found the third to be the weakest of the three. By now the characters are established, things are going along swimmingly, and all should be good...right?
Unfortunatly no.
Though still chalk full of little Easter eggs, witty dialogue, and a really good joke here or there, the general story just doesn't come across as interesting as the last two books. It's not that bad of a read, and I still enjoyed the story, but as far as something that will keep you on the edge of your...more
Udi Moshe
Do you like a good thriller? Do you like surprising plot turns? Do you like a book that keeps you guessing till the end? DO YOU LIKE ZOMBIES?! Then this is definitely the series for you, Matt Richter, zombie PI is a brilliantly written character filled with self humor and a sharp mind (as well as a few discomposing body parts) that solves mysteries and saves the world in a fun and thrilling way. The fact that the story takes place in a city of undead and mythical beings adds a whole new level to...more
Rick
I like Waggoner's Nekropolis series and this, the third in the series, doesn't disappoint as Matt Richter, Waggoner's Zombie detective continues to solve the problems of this dark realm.
These easy reading novels are a good mix of fantasy, humour and detective noir and Waggoner's strange characters are well realised and the plots complex enough to hold your attention all the way through. For a light hearted read for those who like something a little on the weird side I thoroughly recommend this a...more
Penny
I was reluctant to start this series, as I tend not to like books about zombies, but I am so glad I did! This third book in the series, which I received as part of the goodreads giveaway, lives up to the standard set by the first two. It is humorous, has plenty of action, and, of course, has the requisite mystery. But do be aware that it is a little dark. Don't, however, let that drive you away, either. Do yourself a favor and read this series. You won't regret it; I didn't.
Clay Rylee
I really enjoyed the third instalment to this series and I really hope that Tim Waggoner write more books set in Necropolis. This book kept me reading eagerly as the first two books did and I had a lot of fun with it. I highly recomend this series for anyone who loves Urban fantasy and is looking for something quirky as refreshing.
Daniel
The third in the Matt Richtor novels. I must admit he has become a guilty pleasure for me. Nekroplis and all the "people" in it are great fun and the tongue and cheek noir detective novel is just fun. Not great but very fun.
Berrendsci
I like this series, even missing the 2nd book, the world is cohesive and interesting. It is gritty and dark without being depressing...and I am still into clever zombies.
Nancy
A fun read. Don't expect any movies to be made out of this series but expect to be entertained but a zombie detective and the alternate reality he now lives in.
Lando
Good series. The characters became likeable and better developed by the end. Would enjoy and buy another book.
Lisa Keipp
No, no, no, no, no. You don't cliff hang a book like that! ARG! Ok, finish writing the next one already!
Yc
This is a really great book-interesting,funny,and easy and fast read!
Phil
Love this series. Cannot wait for #4!
Sandra Hick blair
Sandra Hick blair marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Daniel Wojciechowski
Daniel Wojciechowski marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 30, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez, #5)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1)
  • The Last Angel (Kayla Steele, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • The Silent Army (Revivors, #2)
  • Animal Instinct
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • The Kensei (Lawson the Fixer, #5)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • Dark Blood (Tristopolis, #2)
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
Tim Waggoner has published over thirty novels and three short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College and in Seton Hill University’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction program. Visit him on the web at www.timwaggoner.com.
More about Tim Waggoner...
Necropolis (Matt Richter #1) Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2) Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1) Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12) Temple of the Dragonslayer (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #1)