The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)

The Templar Cross (Templar #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Retired Army Ranger John Holliday has reluctantly settled into his teaching position at West Point, when young Israeli archaeologist Rafi Wanounou comes to him with desperate news. Holliday's niece and Rafi's fianc e, Peggy, has been kidnapped while photographing the excavation of an ancient tomb in Egypt. Her captors are murderous fanatics known as the Brotherhood of the...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 397 pages
Published June 2nd 2010 by Thorndike Press (first published November 9th 2009)

Matt
Warning: I am extremely biased towards books that have history, the army, and treasure hunts! These books will almost always get 4 stars from me because they allow me to escape the middle east where I'm currently stationed and follow a fictional character on an Indiana Jones type adventure! Books like these are my addiction.

I found this one on a shelf in a restaurant on base. I am a sucker for anything having to do with historic fiction and action. Add the Templar's and anything that remotely r...more
Matt
Christopher continues his great Templar series with this installment that sees Holiday head out in search of his niece. While this is the underlying plot, the theme of the book is a new world travel thriller.

Christopher uses his characters and storyline to explore the vast edges of the world, all with the Templar thread woven through experiences and historical happenstance. I quite enjoyed learning all about the various parts of the world., bth those that pertain to the Templars and the German a...more
Alissa
I have to be honest, I gave the first Templar book 5 stars because I absolutely loved it. This book was sorely lacking in historical content, and I don't know where the series is headed at this point. I will continue to read the series, but if the next book is more like this one than the first one. I probably won't read the rest.
Michael Smith
The story began well with great anticipation but the ending left me feeling unsatisfied, if not bemused. I don’t particularly like ancient history stories, but I could have thoroughly enjoyed THE TEMPLAR CROSS had Paul Christopher given the reader the opportunity to live the ordeal Peggy went through in captive.

Even if the Kidnappers (Brotherhood of the Temple of Isis) took Peggy captive in a bid to get to Holliday, I still wanted to know how she handled herself being a kidnapped victim. What wa...more
Haitch
***written on my phone and though I'm not entirely sure what I've put contains "spoilers" just a heads up just in case as I can't see the spoiler button***

So I gave this book 2 stars for that fact it was a quick and easy read - something for the train etc when its harder to concentrate.

The book should have been called something completely different as there is absolutely no mention of a templar cross and when a cross is mentioned in the last 3 pages it still isn't called a templar cross specific...more
Lisa Lap
I think not reading the previous books in this series (which I didn't realize it was a series) is what first had me thinking I made a mistake in giving this book a try. There quite a few references to things that had happened before, and the more I read the more I realized the earlier books is where the real Templar mysteries unfolded. The references for the Dan Brown books kept me hopeful that this story would eventually draw me in to the intrigue and history, but unfortunately it didn't. At tw...more
Scott Nichols
As a sequel to The Templar Sword, this book is somewhat flat. While the first book in the series was more pulp fictionish, this one tries to take off running, but is just sort of slow and drags along even though gun chases and other action events ensue...they just are not written very in a way that made me want to savor any of it.

Rita McDowell
Outstanding!

Once again the best read that will grab your attention and keep up the heart-pounding pace to the last page! Excellent to say the least!
Tommy
Another good read from this author. However, I was a bit disappointed in the ending. It sort of ended very tamely instead of a big exciting conclusion. I think the author was setting up his next book with a teaser at the end. I also was a bit disappointed in that the title, "The Templer Cross" was a bit misleading. The majority of the story had nothing to do with the Templars. I wasn't until the last chapter that the title became significant. I will still continue to read his future books, espec...more
Barry Reynolds
this book has well developed characters and paul christopher has a knack of drawing you into the story because of his very discriptive style of the characters involved and the places they go to. a lot of research has gone into this book and it shows on every page. this book is well worth reading.
Nicko
Paul Christopher is an interesting author. Either he does not believe that his characters spew out almost on reflex or he is truly an anti-American, anti-Catholic, Dan Brown-hating individual.

The Templar Cross is an easy read but it falls short of a Good Story. While Holliday and Rafi spend nearly the entire book looking for the main character's cousin the actual "Templar Cross" is not revealed until the final couple of pages, only to be explored on his next book "The Templar Throne".

Good only t...more
Randal Martin
Meh. Not nearly as well written as the first book in the series. The plot was disjointed and very difficult to follow.

This series always amazes me with how many dead bodies the main character leaves behind, yet he is still free to fly back and forth between the US and Europe under his own name. He is then able to travel all over Europe without any hindrances. This rates pretty low on the believability scale
Jenfasy
a very easy read. the historical fiction is again, used to suck in military/history lovers. other than that, this could easily be a romance novel. the plot devices are so gimmicky as to leave the reader wondering - is christopher serious? are they *really* riding out of town on the orient express, with murders occuring on the train? disappointing. good historical adventure writing is hard to find. this was not it.
Melissa
For the second book in a series of Six it wasn't too bad. The including of Imhotep peaked my interest but the lack of Templars upset me. I ruined it for myself but reading Book 4 out of order so I knew which characters were going to survive. But with all that being said I still enjoyed the book. It took me a bit longer to read than the first but I had traveled and done other things and not read it non-stop.
AmblingBooks
From Paul Christopher, the New York Times bestselling author of The Sword of the Templars, comes a mystery of a centuries-old warrior society-and the shocking truth behind its rise to power.

Listen to The Templar Cross on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Karen Azinger
I bought the first two books of this saga at the same time, otherwise I would not have read the second. Since I bought it, I read it, and it was worse from the first. I found the ending particularly offensive since it is a direct lift from Ian Fleming's "From Russia with Love". Shame on the author, the editor, and the publisher for such a blatant steal.
Chichi
This book would have been ok without the 'Templar cross' title. I had the feeling that there was a book before this one Because I really didn't connect with the characters. I enjoyed it towards the end. Maybe I'll look for the first book with the characters and read from there.
Pia
I just couldn't get into this book. I used to love the theme of templars, but somehow I couldn't get past the first 50 pages. I'll try again, but for now I'll just stop here. Perhaps it would be easier if I had known this is the second book. I had no idea. :(
Anita
Now, compared to Book 1: 'The Sword Of The Templars' (which I reviewed as something I could not get into), this is a good read. Brilliant thrust-and-parry strategies in the plot and which keeps the reader engaged and quick on the page-turn.
Becky
After reading The Templar Sword, I was looking forward to reading this one. I was pretty disappointed in it. The story moved very slow and didn't really connect. This book was very different than the other. one. It was still an okay read though.
Stephen
I've liked this series since it came out. This book deals with a new Templar treasure, Peggy going missing, and now she apparently has a fiancee. Is it standard Templar chase story fiction? Yes. Is it a fun read? Definitely.
Jo
More adventure with 'Doc' Holliday and his niece Peggy. This time they're on the trail of missing Nazi gold and once again running from the corrupt Catholic church. Decent fun although not as good as the first one.
Matt Simpson
Apparently all terrorists originate in Canada! Well, at least those that associate with the Vatican "secret CIA"... So misleading and ill-researched I barely got through it, despite there only being ~200 pages.
Derek Durant

Neither one thing nor another. Very ordinary. Heavy going. It wasn't quite essential to have read the first book in the series but it may have been sensible. I shan't bother to read episode three.
Linda Wallis
Aug 30, 2011 Linda Wallis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: John Wallis
These are great fun, not quite in Dan Brown's league but you do get to like the characters.

How much of the history is correct, I'm not sure but they are entertaining and well written.
Vanessa
A little tedious. Not the best sequel, hard going with very few exciting parts.
Mia
Saw it on the shelves at the bookstore last night. The title caught my eye since I am a huge fan of anything to do with the Knights of the Templar. I am already pulled in.
Tim Franklin
Very much split on this one. The conspiracy theory, artifact hunt, adventure in the desert parts are good, but the excruciating detail of military hardware bores me silly.
Kelsey
Meh. It was okay. I picked this up in a grocery store on a road trip not knowing anything about the author or story, Apparently I should have read his first one.
Autumn
Nice action/adventure series. I wouldn't read it for historical fact or even limited accuracy, similar to Dan Brown, but I have to say I enjoy Paul Christopher better.
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Lost Temple
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1) Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1) The Templar Throne (Templar, #3) The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2) The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)