Start by marking “Marigold Garden: 2pictures and Rhymes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Marigold Garden: 2pict...

Kate Greenaway

Marigold Garden: 2pictures and Rhymes

The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge.
Published January 28th 2001 by Frederick Warne and Company (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about Marigold Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marigold Garden

Hal Johnson
Feb 25, 2012 Hal Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c19, kids, art, 1880s, light-verse
You couldn’t honestly say that none of these rhymes were inane, but what’s remarkable is how few of them are. Greenaway is perhaps more enamored than anyone alive today can be of garden parties and elegant teas, but she often successfully breathes some of the strangeness and mystery of nursery rhymes into these short poems. Compare them with the insipid products of an Eliza Lee Follen, for example, and see how strong is the oddity of the Sun Door, or Wonder World.

Also the art is without peer.
Jess
Sep 28, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed it from the library I work at (a blessing and a curse to work at a library) and read it in a day. Some reviewers protest to it not being something actual children would enjoy. Well, I cannot determine if that is true or not for the children of today but I know this is something that I as a child would have loved. I would have memorized the words and dreamed up stories for all the images. In fact, I found myself a little sad that I didn't know the rhymes by heart already, that I had not ...more
Tasia
From a historical perspective, this book and its illustrations reflect the time it was written in: an age of very polite society in which every good, polite child must heed their beautiful pure mother, all while donning the frilliest frippery you can imagine. The illustrations are beautiful, to be sure, but there's no depth here; everything is meant to be pretty. And have I mentioned polite? Indeed.

As another reviewer has pointed out, the modern child will have some issues relating to its langua
Cherene
I do wish that 1001 Books for Children would stop recommending these books. It is not that rhymes and nursery's are not cherished by adults. It's simply that I have yet to find a child who enjoys them. I understand there is probably someone out there that is going to correct me and gush about how much their children loves these sorts of books.

In which case, that's wonderful. Majority wise, I think these rhymes are more intriguing to adults than children. Then again, that's just based on the chil
Charlotte
I read the original 1885 version from the antique section of the library and it felt like reading a secret, historical treasure. The whimsical poems and drawings deal with daily life for the upper class in the 1880s.

Unfortunately, daily life has changed dramatically since then and the book as a whole dosn't translate very well to the modern child. The young boys are wearing girls clothes. The girls don't do anything but drink tea and go to parties.

This book was facinating to me as a social reco
Linda
Little girls were raised to be well bred, little girls. They had different books to little boys because, well, boys only read intelligent books. But don't get us started.

The illustrations of gorgeous golden curled, blue eyed girls are truly beautiful - if a little repetitive. There are no fathers, grandfathers or uncles. There's no brothers over the age of 2. Grandmamma features a number of times, and, with wry smile, I do like how Kate Greenaway thought Grandmammas were stuffy, boring and chil
ABC
This book of poems written and illustrated by Kate Greenaway is VERY 19th century. Words like "cowslip" and "gay" (as in happy)appear, and eye color is ALWAYS blue and hair is ALWAYS golden curls. Many of the poems are very nice, but I think this extremely feminine book will appeal to only certain kids. (I say feminine because the vast majority of the illustrations are of girls and most of the poems feature girls.)

I do sort of wonder if Kate Greenaway was the Shel Silverstein of her day!
Loraine
Aug 11, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Greenaway lived from 1846 to 1901. Her poetry is for young misses and masters of a different time and of some refinement~reading it gives us post-modernists a window into the Victorian era, a time when children were idealized as purity itself. However, I enjoy Greenaway as illustrator--hence a four star rating.
Allison
Oct 09, 2011 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers & Up, Ephemera Buffs
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
If I owned more than one copy of this lovely book, I'd cut one of them up and frame the illustrations. So lovely. The poems are easier to appreciate than what was presented in Lavender's Blue. I could definitely imagine holding a tot in my lap and reading these poems to them and discussing the pictures.
Dominick
Kate Greenaway is a delightful artist (though admittedly there is something vaguely kewpie-dollish about her moppets), but she's an indifferent poet, at best. The verses here are inoffensive but unmemorable, and not particularly sound, metrically. Nice to look at, but not much more to say, really.
Lynnea
Mar 08, 2015 Lynnea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a bunch of old rhymes that don't hold my attention (or many children's either)
Ashley
Mar 22, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Lovely stories from a different time. The artwork is beautiful and the poems simple and fun.
Robert Ellington
Jun 18, 2016 Robert Ellington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with Susan Faith. Pretty good poems.
Carol-Lynn
kelly
Jun 02, 2016 kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quaint
Daisy
Fairly standard turn of the century children's poetry with enchanting, idealized, romantic Victorian illustrations.
Emily
Mostly worthwhile for the illustrations, although I did enjoy a few of the poems.
Veronica Cruz
Veronica Cruz rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Marilyn Rhodes
Marilyn Rhodes rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Nazli
Nazli rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Emila Yusof
Emila Yusof rated it liked it
May 01, 2011
Nefertiti
Nefertiti rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Debbie Brown
Debbie Brown rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 5 20 Jul 12, 2013 05:54PM
Kate Greenaway (Catherine Greenaway) (1846-1901) was a children's book illustrator and writer. Her first book, Under the Window (1879), a collection of simple, perfectly idyllic verses concerning children who endlessly gathered posies, untouched by the Industrial Revolution, was a best-seller. The Kate Greenaway Medal, established in her honour in 1955, is awarded annually by the Chartered Institu ...more
More about Kate Greenaway...