Start by marking “Chill Waters” as Want to Read:

http: //www.joanhallhovey.com

CHILL WATERS

By

Joan Hall Hovey

It's like a lion at the door;
And when the door begins to crack,
It's like a stick across your back;
And when your back begins to smart,
It's like a penknife in your heart;
And when your heart begins to bleed
You're dead, and dead, and dead, indeed.
Anonymous; Nursery
Published March 4th 2010 by iUniverse (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Chill Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chill Waters

Karen M
Sep 03, 2016 Karen M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
Okay, story was great, scary, chilling at times, and well written. Editing by whoever uploaded it to Amazon gets zero stars. It was distracting at times to see "3/4" instead of "," and the occasional missing word.

But having complained about the editing I have to say I have no complaints about the story itself. Scary enough that I wouldn't read the second half at night, alone in the house by myself. There was definitely a "something evil this way comes" feel about this book. I really enjoyed it e
Meagan
Mar 07, 2012 Meagan rated it liked it
Chill Waters by Joan Hall Hovey is the thrilling story of Rachel, a mother of two grown children and wife to a cheating husband. Rachel leaves her husband and moves to St. Clair only to find that it's not the same as it once was. Seventeen years prior a teenager was killed in St. Clair and it seems there is a killer loose in the town yet again.

I found the story to be suspenseful and had strong character development as well as a good strong story line but the writing style was slightly confusing
Angela
Mar 27, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Like Hovey’s other books, this one too is a thriller that hooks you immediately and doesn’t let go until the end.

We meet Rachel who moves to Jenny’s Cove after her failed marriage. While trying to pick up the pieces of her life and move on she becomes the target of a psychopath. Rachel is a very strong female character whom I fell in love with from the beginning.

I would put Joan Hall Hovey’s books in the same category as Lisa Gardner who is one of my favorite authors. I suggest getting
Hannah
May 21, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Joan is my great aunt; I went to visit her last summer and she gave me a copy of this book. It is the first I've read of any of her books and as soon as I finished it I said to myself, I must read her other books. She knows exactly how to create suspense and grab the readers attention successfully, without giving anything away. Great read, and i recommend it to all thriller fans - and I hope to follow in her footsteps.
Vickie Vonn
Sep 01, 2012 Vickie Vonn rated it liked it
Decent enough premise, but this author really needed an editor or at least the help of beta readers. Typos, puctuation & spelling errors were a huge distraction.
Lynda Kelly
Dec 26, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars for this one. I really like this author but as with others of hers I've read there are a lot of errors. Silly ones too like Lagosi for Lugosi or weight instead of weighed. Just silly mistakes that should have been picked up at the editing stage.
There were also sentences where the character is narrating and then not !! That makes it a bit hard going and also there are no paragraph breaks from one scene to the next.
However, Joan's stories ARE very good indeed and I
Rhonda
Oct 06, 2012 Rhonda rated it liked it
I really did like it. The characters were well drawn, complete, likeable, and believable. The dialogue was natural and easy to read and believe. The plot was good, suspenseful enough to keep you going. I figured out who the "bad guy" was well before the end, but somehow, that didn't derail me, as there were other questions to be answered. Some of the outcomes I suspected, some I didn't, but no real surprises.

This is a good rainy afternoon read. There are quite a few errors throughout the book an
Cindy Vine
Dec 29, 2012 Cindy Vine rated it it was ok
I hate being picky when an author has put so much time and effort into writing the book. And I did enjoy the story and the suspense which had all the timing right and flowed wonderfully. The odd mistake here and there one can overlook. This book was teeming with them until it became annoying, but the story was good enough to keep on reading. But the most irritating part for me was the abrupt scene changes in the middle of chapters with nothing other than it being a new paragraph to signify the ...more
Heather
Jan 19, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Rachel, after discovering her husband is cheating on her, decides to buy the home her grandmother lived in when Rachel was a child. Soon she learns the place isn't as safe as she may have believed. Things start happening, a dead seagull in her kitchen, items moved around. Just before she arrives a young girl is brutally raped and killed. Her boyfriend is blamed, but many do not believe he did it. A very suspenseful story. I did figure it out a little early, but it still ...more
Sydell Voeller
Jun 14, 2012 Sydell Voeller rated it it was amazing
Although I'm typically not a big horror/suspense reader, I have to admit Joan Hall Hovey has me hooked! Her characters are well-developed and believable, the plot line has plenty of twists and turns, and the horror elements kept me sitting on the edge of my seat. I also loved the romance she's woven into this story. Just the right touch to balance the more chilling scenarios. I can hardly wait to read more of this author's novels!
Robbie
Jun 19, 2013 Robbie rated it really liked it
I liked this book - it was fast-moving and the characters were well-developed. There was, however, a touch of the theme I most dislike in a mystery: where the intelligence on the side of evil seemed to be higher than the intelligence on the side of good. Other than that - a good read. 4.3 stars.
pcb
Jun 07, 2014 pcb rated it liked it
One of the more interesting thrillers and I would definitely consider reading more by this author. However, proofing/editing is needed. It was distracting to see 3/4 in place of commas. A song by Barry "Manilou" was mentioned. There were a good many unnecessary apostrophes and some strange sentence structures.
Cace
Jul 19, 2012 Cace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summer-time book. Suspenseful, fairly well written, good character development. Somewhat predictable at times, and I didn't like the way the author jumped to another scene/character from one paragraph to the next (a little confusing). Overall I enjoyed it.
Maureen
Jul 02, 2012 Maureen rated it it was ok
Some very tense moments in the writing made this e-book a pretty good read. The plot was predictable, and the characters were not drawn as deeply as they could be. All in all, though, this was not a bad story.
Katrina Holman
Aug 06, 2016 Katrina Holman rated it liked it
This was well-done. The writing was good, although there were a few editing mistakes. It was good; it didn't grab me like some books of this genre have, but it was good.
Joy
Sep 09, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
Another good mystery by Joan Hall Hovey. Kept me on the edge of my seat although I was able to solve the mystery before the end.
Janine Grondahl
Sep 12, 2013 Janine Grondahl rated it really liked it
Loved the book but had a problem with the editing mistakes, and it would jump from scene to scene without any warning. But all in all, a great read.
Jack
Dec 15, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachael moves to a place she loved as a child, to start afresh after separating from her husband. Strange things begin to happen..... Suspenseful thriller
Linda
Nov 19, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Creepy until the very end! Really good but could not read it at night! Great author! I will add her to my list!
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Maria Kelly
Maria Kelly rated it liked it
May 06, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Marion
Marion rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Denise Agnew
Denise Agnew rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Books We Love Ltd.
Books We Love Ltd. rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Billie Bledsoe
Billie Bledsoe rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Jannette
Jannette rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Capture
  • Revolution #9
  • The Nightwalker
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • Safe Harbor (A Pat Tierney Mystery, #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • The Witch Of Prague & Other Stories
  • Lucidity
  • Subculture
  • Finding Hannah
  • Widow's Row
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Dismember
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • The River