Start by marking “Stellaluna” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  63,947 ratings  ·  802 reviews
Stellaluna is the tender story of a lost young bat who finally finds her way safely home to her mother and friends. This award-winning book by Janell Cannon has sold over 500,000 copies and was on the bestseller list for more than two years.
Published April 30th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stellaluna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stellaluna

Adam Silvera
This is my first favorite book ever. My mother bought it for me as a kid and it came with a Stellanuna plush doll. Manly, right? Mom read it to me whenever I asked until I lost Stellaluna in the first grade. (TRAGIC.)

My mother, being the most awesome of mothers, put up Missing Poster signs for Stellaluna. No one ever called with information, no ransom notes were left next to my lunch box, and Stellaluna wasn't hiding inside my hamper or under my bed. Stellaluna was gone. I thought back to the bo
Ronyell
Stellaluna

I first saw this book on an episode of “Reading Rainbow” (my favorite TV series when I was little!) and I instantly fell in love with this book! “Stellaluna” is a gorgeous picture book by Janell Cannon and it is about how a baby bat named Stellaluna learns how to live with the birds after she is separated by her mother during an owl attack. “Stellaluna” is truly one of the best books for bat lovers everywhere!

Once there lived a mother fruit bat that gave birth to a baby bat named Stellaluna and
midnightfaerie
We all loved this book. Apparently I reserved something called a "big book" so when I went to go pick it up, it wouldn't even fit in my bag. It was this big floppy paperback book that was roughly the size of my kitchen countertop. This made it very difficult to read. Trying to hold open the floppy book so that I could read and the kids could see the pictures was very difficult. But it was worth it. The bigger pictures kept my 3 yr old twins engaged while the story kept my 5 yr old interested. An ...more
Meghan
May 07, 2012 Meghan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6 and under, parents for read-aloud
Recommended to Meghan by: A parenting blog
I have read this book to my children 752 times (well maybe that's an exaggeration). And I've cried 751 (that's not.)

It's that moment when the mom says, "You are MY Stellaluna." *sob* My kids weren't weepy, btw. Nope, just me.

This has to be one of my favorite books for the 6 and under crowd- amazingly beautiful pictures I was tempted to frame, a nice (but not annoying) message about acceptance and friendship, makes you laugh and cry.

Thank goodness I have kids or I would have completely missed ou
Silk
Loved it so much!
Linda
Sweet story about a young bat who loses her mother after they are attacked by an owl and is subsequently adopted by a family of birds. It delightfully demonstrates how diverse creatures can coexist. The illustrations are lovely and luminescent.

From Kirkus:
"With a warm, nicely honed narration, Cannon strikes just the right balance between accurate portrayal of the bats and the fantasy that dramatizes their characteristics. Her illustrations, in luminous acrylics and color pencils, are exquisite.
Val
I had only ever read the first few pages prior to today, and I thought this book would be sad. It isn't, it is freaking hilarious!!! The pictures (and the premise) add a lot to the humor -- the idea of a baby fruit bat being adopted by birds is about as hilarious as the idea of Simba being adopted by Timon and Pumba in The Lion King. My favorite moment would be Stellaluna hanging by her thumbs...just the very idea. Anyway, there is a lot to work with in this book for different character voices, ...more
Alyssa Prater
Stellaluna is a baby bat that is separated from her mother when they are attacked by an owl. Stellaluna finds herself in a bird’s nest, and her adventure of believing she is a bird, learning she is a bat and being reunited with her mother follows. Stellaluna attempts to unite her adopted bird family with her rediscovered bat community. The differences between them prove too difficult to surpass, yet She and her bird ‘siblings’ vow to stay friends.

This book includes themes of differences, friend
Asalyn Holliday
I love this book! I think it would be great in a unit on animals and could lead to a discussion about nocturnal animals and what that means. This book reminded me of another book by Janell Cannon called Verdi that would also be good in an animal unit.
Marie Gentilcore
Read this to the kids for bedtime and they both loved it. My daughter had already read it at school and she still enjoyed hearing it again. It is a sweet story of a little friut bat who gets separated from her momma. The illustrations were great too as they made a bat look cute. My dsughter said to give it 500 stars!
smetchie
Can you believe Ellen Pompeo named her daughter after a bat?!? Not just any bat either. NO! One who is separated from her mother in a traumatic attempted murder by an owl and subsequently forced to live with birds and eat BUGS?!?!
Maryann
Summary:

Stellaluna is an award winning picture book that tells the story of a bat who loses her mother and grows up with a family of birds. Stellaluna begins to see how different she is from her new mother and brothers and sisters when they do weird things like eat worms, sleep right-side up, and sleep at night. Stellaluna finally meets her real mother and all the other bats and realizes why she felt like she didn’t belong with the bird family. She learns that she does in fact sleep upside down
Jo
Stellaluna is a sweet story about a young fruit bat who is raised by a family of birds after becoming separated from her mother. As Stellaluna struggles to fit in with the baby birds who eat bugs instead of fruit and who sleep in a nest instead of hanging upside down, she learns an important lesson in friendship and embracing differences.

Adorable illustrations and laugh out loud moments as Stellaluna learns to fly like a bird and clumsily tries to land on a branch. I love the part where she hang
Deedles
This book haunted me even in my dreams.

I was at Mimi's house and all of a sudden a tree grew from the middle of her floor and out the window. My dad and I climbed out on the limb that hung over a highway that looked eerily similar to that frogger game. All of a sudden Stellaluna showed up with a graduation cap on and one of those pretentious pointer things ivy-league professors supposedly use. Then we were lectured about pollution and how highways result in a numerous amount of roadkill.

I woke
Haley *I don't take bullshit*
What a lovely story! I first read this (technically, it was read to me) when I was six years old and years later, I still love it. It's about a baby fruit bat named Stellaluna who is separated from her mother at a young age and raised by birds. Eventually, she reunites with her bat family, but remains friends with the birds. I love the moral of this story: that even if you are not like your friends, it is still possible be friends with them. This is a really sweet story, and even though it's a p ...more
Clara Hamilton
This is a children's book that follows the story of a young bat named Stellaluna. She is separated from her mother when an owl attacks, but she ends up in a birds nest. Young Stellaluna struggles to adapt to the new behavior required of her as she grows up, but can adapt and grow up similarly to the birds, eating bugs, and sleeping upright. It follows her story as she learns that she is different, and comes to accept the differences of her and her bird family.

The theme of the book is the difficu
Lindsay Fischer
Stellaluna is a story of a young bat that gets separated from her mother. She winds up in a bird’s nest and tries to adapt to their ways. Eventually, Stellaluna realizes that she is not a bird, she is a bat and she deserves to live like a bat. Shortly after she left, she bumped into another bat. After chatting she found out that the other bat was her mother!
The story illustrates a home away home narrative structure. In the beginning, Stellaluna is with her mother – warm and nestled to her bos
Rosa Cline
My daughter received this book by my dear friend, my 6th grade teacher when she was 2 1/2 years old that was back in 1996. We read this book together many, many times and now am reading to that same daughter's little girl. My Dear Friend recommended it to remind us that we are always remembered and always loved, just as Stellaluna was.

Stellaluna is a book about a baby fruit bat. Her mother loved her dearly and took wonderful care of her. Until an owl attacks them and Stellaluna gets knocked off
Jordan Brown
Author and Illustrator: Janell Cannon
Reading Level: ages 4-8
Cannon, Janell (1993) Stellaluna Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Stellaluna follows a young fruit bat (named Stellaluna). When forced from her mother by a rampaging owl, the young fruit bat finds herself adopted by a family of birds. From that moment on, she adopts the habits of birds and forsakes the ways of a fruit bat.

Like all of Janell Cannon's books, this story is a gem. The cover depicts a cute bat, thus one cannot help
Jennifer Amichia
Sweet story about fitting in where you "don't belong." Throughout my grade school career, I made friends with a lot of people who were from different states and some were just different. Some of those people ended up becoming some of my closest friends! This book would serve as a good read aloud for students to accept the differences they may have with one another and to realize that their differences serve their individual purposes. I enjoyed this book and will definitely be adding it to my col ...more
Jackie
Baby Bat, Stellaluna, gets separated from him mother, as the owl tosses them in the air. Stellaluna lands in a baby bird nest and quickly acclimates to his surroundings, attaching himself to the bird family and learning to eat bugs (Yuck!), sleep upside down (really right side up), and fly during the day.

But, one day, Stellaluna is reunited with his mother and he learns to eat mangos, sleep upside down, and fly at night. He never forgets his friends the birds, though, and respects the ways of a
Erica Karp
This is the story of a bat named Stellaluna that had to figure out who she was for herself. She was separated from her mother after an owl attacked them and got adopted by a bird and her three chicks. To stay with her new family, Stellaluna tried really hard to stop acting like a bat. However, Stellaluna eventually finds other bats and learns that her behavior is not wrong, it is just not right for birds. She learns to accept herself and that her and the birds do not have to be the same to be fr ...more
L-Angelica Herrera-Vest
I viewed a video produced by Scholastic, in 2004, based on the award winning picture book Stellaluna. This is a story about an orphaned fruit bat who desperately wants to fit in with a group of baby birds. She learns to appreciate her differences and that make her special. The video has additional segments related to the world of bats, a sing-along feature and arts/crafts activities. This video cannot replace the book. This might be more appropriate for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners.
Carly Gates
This book is a classic and can be used in so many ways! I would use it during a theme on animals and discuss the difference between birds and bats. There are done helpful "bat notes" in the back of the book. I would also mention culture and differences after reading this book. There are three lines that illustrate if perfectly. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" "How can we feel so different and be so much alike?" "But we're friends. And that's a fact."
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Cannon, Janell. Stellaluna. Scholastic. 1993.

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read

Stellaluna is a classic picture book that has been read by children for nearly 20 years. This beautiful story still holds up and marks this book as a classic. The story is about a bat who while flying with his mom is attacked by an owl and ends up in a nest of birds. He then learns to be a bird but this is made tougher by his instinct to do things in a batty way.
He has a happy ending once he is reunited w
Kristina Whitt
Stellaluna (1993) is a short story about a baby bat who gets separated from her mother and spends time trying to find her again. She finds birds and tries to adapt to their lifestyle even though it makes her feel odd and sometimes she gets in trouble for doing things differently. She is encouraged by the mother bird to conform to things that make her act more like a bird. Stellaluna eventually finds her mother, she is relieved to realize that she isn't supposed to be like the birds. She excitedl ...more
Adam Donald
"Stellaluna" is a beautiful picture book about a bat, Stellaluna, who loses her mother in an owl attack. She is then adopted by a family of birds that takes care of her until she is able to journey off on her own. It has an underlying theme of acceptance throughout the story. Even though they are different, the birds accept Stellaluna into their family, sharing their food and their nest with her. This is a great book for kids because it shows them the value of being accepting towards others, eve ...more
Rachael
Stellaluna, Written by Janell Cannon, 1993, Picture Book

Stellaluna is the story of a baby bat that is separated from her mother in an attack by an owl. Stellaluna falls into a bird next and is raised along with three other baby birds to sleep at night and eat grasshoppers. When Stellaluna goes flying one day with her three bird friends they wind up far from home and stuck in the dark. Stellaluna must protect her friends throughout the night. A few bats come upon the frightened bunch and take the
Kelly Borton
Stellaluna has been a long-time favorite of mine. This is a story about a mother fruit bat and her baby called Stellaluna. Stellaluna loses her mom after an owl attack and lands in a birds nest. The story continues where Stellaluna is accepted by the birds, but learns how she is different. After reconnecting with her mother, she realizes being different is okay and she can still be friends with the birds. The illustrations move with the text and brings a sense of action with every page. The text ...more
Ali
This book was so adorable! The art work is simple, yet extremely beautiful. And the story is so touching! My heartstrings were definitely pulled when poor little Stellaluna was separated from her mom and was so scared! But, like any children's story, the ending was a happy one; and the tale was a meaningful one of love, acceptance, and friendship!
Katie Witchley #3 (Tuesday) 2 10 Jun 12, 2014 06:04PM