Start by marking “America: A Patriotic Primer” as Want to Read:
America: A Patriotic Primer

America: A Patriotic Primer

America: A Patriotic Primer is a succinct history of the United States, an ABC of the principles on which this country was founded, and a book for children and families to pore over, discuss, and cherish.
A is for America,
the land that we love.
B is for the
Birthday
of this country of ours....
To choose the twenty-six people and ideas that comprise the book, Lynne Chene
Published May 21st 2002 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Cassandra Gelvin
Oct 17, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it liked it
Jingoistic nonsense.

Seriously. She didn't even try! It's an alphabet book where all the letters have something to do with America. A is for America, but B is for Birthday! That doesn't have anything to do with America! Just birthday is related to July 4th. Some of the values are good, like Equality, and K is for King, like Martin Luther King Jr.

G is for God, in whom we trust. Because, of course, every American is Christian. Or at the very least Jewish. We all believe in the same God. Nobody in t
Renee Parrish
Apr 21, 2016 Renee Parrish rated it it was amazing
America A Patriotic Primer (2002) by Lynne Cheney, Pictures by Robin Glasser, non-fiction/ informational.

This informational A-Z book of facts and appreciation of our great United States, is an excellent way to impress patriotism for America. Each letter of the alphabet is addressed with a person, place or thing that relates to America either historically or sentimentally in general. Some examples of this are "L" is for Lincoln, and "M" is for Madison, two past presidents in our country. The int
Kenzie Thompson
Dec 08, 2016 Kenzie Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book goes from A-Z listing things about America that we should take pride in. Some of them include equality, patriotism, heroes, and rights. Some of them are people like Madison and Lincoln. It ends saying that we will continue to be an inspiration to the world.
Although the book is kind of short, it has a lot of good knowledge in it, even in the illustrations. This would be a good book to read to a young classroom to teach them some facts about the United States.
Olivia Longenbaugh
Apr 14, 2015 Olivia Longenbaugh rated it it was amazing
This is an informational ABC book about American concepts and history, but it goes much deeper than that. On each page is a letter standing for something related to the formation of America, but there are quotes, pictures, and factual information included on each page as well. It is not a comprehensive look at American history, but it does include some foundational concepts. Each page could take about 5-10 minutes to discuss, so it is not a book to read in a single day. This book is more at a 3r ...more
Rebecca Boliard
Apr 11, 2015 Rebecca Boliard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
**Alphabet book**
This patriotic book is perfect for any age. Whether your students are just learning the alphabet, or learning about our nations government, this book has it all. Each letter of the alphabet, has a specific word to correspond, with amazing illustrations and wonderful detail. Each letter's page is full of detail and facts with pictures to go along. This picture book would be great for students learning about their great country and the history of the states. This book has everythi
Jessica
Dec 04, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
-An alphabet book about America, what we have gone through to become a country, some of the big milestones in our country, presidents, and our freedom.
-Has a short sentence that starts with different letter of the alphabet
-Has pictures and real informational facts about that sentence. (ex. 'D is for Declaration that proclaimed we are free' then it has a sentence about what the declaration was and when it was signed)
-Would be a good book to read when you are teaching the history of America, I wo
Katie Williams
This book contains a lot of vocabulary and facts about America and what it stands for. It based on the alphabet and for every letter it has a word and a definition or fact that pertains to the word on the context of American ideals. It is religious in that for the letter G it says that 'In God We Trust.' I don't think kids will have a problem with this line and most likely not the parents, but I always feel like that can be an issue. Regardless, this is a good book to read to students for any so ...more
Robert
Somehow I fell into being my son's den leader for Tiger Scouts. While I attend the meetings, I was perfectly happy to let someone else run the show. This year that someone else is me. :o

It was suggested I do something with the Pledge of Allegiance. I prepared a lesson and borrowed this book from a fellow teacher who teaches first grade. It is probably the nicest alphabet book I have read. A couple of the letters were forced (Z is the last letter . . . yeah, okay).

We read this as the boys colored
Jessica
This is a great educational book about America, with bits of its history and important people that have shaped what it is today. It is outlined alphabetically, with a person or bit of history for every letter of the alphabet, so you can break it down and read a few at a time. But it's also not so long or complicated or boring that you couldn't read it all in a single sitting if you wanted. There is also an additional informational section in the back if your child is older and wants more informa ...more
Angie Orr
Nov 08, 2011 Angie Orr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit-2011-12
Cheney, Lynne. America A Patriotic Primer.

Rating: *****

Summary: This is an A to Z picture book about America. Each letter represents a principle that America stands for. Each picture shows the history of America along with the captions. Each letter is so specific with detail and how far our nation has evolved from the past when the Delaration of Independence was accepted. The book has so many important and factual details that could be shared with the classrooms of any age. A must read for all!

K
Cailean
May 29, 2012 Cailean rated it it was amazing
I was so impressed with this book! I had to set aside my feelings about Dick Cheney and appreciate his wife's book for what it is, a thorough and beautifully-illustrated history of our country. This would be a wonderful book to pull out during the 4th of July and/or Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, etc. It covers A-Z of patriotic topics and has information jam-packed in every possible corner of each page, and again the illustrations are just fantastic!
Gwen
Jul 03, 2009 Gwen rated it it was amazing
An alphabet of American values including Heroism, Patriotism, "God, in whom we trust," Rights, Suffrage, King (Martin Luther), etc. Wonderfully busy pages with cute black ink and watercolor illustrations. Lots of important little quotes strewn around, including "I cannot live without books." (Jefferson)
Krista Mcdowell
Oct 13, 2012 Krista Mcdowell rated it it was amazing
This book is the alphabet, but is about America. Every letter describes something historical about America. Something true about America. I like how it can teach any child about American while teaching them the Alphabet. I would read this book to children who are in first through fifth grade, because no matter what grade they are in, it is always good to review your alphabet.
Katarina Miller
Jan 29, 2015 Katarina Miller rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because I thought it created a sense of patriotism. There were many good words in this book, and it was definitely full of many interesting facts. Some pages were a little busy, but the illustrations were also very helpful in many ways. I think this book could really be beneficial in a classroom learning all about the United States
Heather
Jul 27, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
A great overview of American History in ABC-format (e.g., "L" is for Abraham Lincoln, "W" is for Washington, etc.). Definitely a book I want on my shelf for when my daughter is older (probably 6+) because it encourages and facilitates discussions between parents and children about key events in our nation's history.
Pynteya Bate
Feb 28, 2011 Pynteya Bate rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! It is like basic social stuies dictionary. A student can open the book on any letter of the alphabet and find the important facts. For example, "A" stands for America's Birthday, "F' for freedom, and "H" for heros.It provides a lot of examples and simple explanations. I think it can be very useful in the classroom.
Hope Johnson
Apr 11, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
This is a wonderful book to read when you are talking with your students about America. It is important for children to know about the place in which they live. This book finds an important fact for every letter of the alphabet this is a great way to organize facts. This is always a great way to let children see a few very important point about their country.
Bayleigh Garrett
Feb 23, 2016 Bayleigh Garrett rated it liked it
This book was very informational and would be good for a middle school or even high school history class. This book may be too informational for younger children. The book not only gave a word for every letter of the alphabet, but also had good illustrations and lots of fun facts.
Stephanie Whittit
Aug 25, 2015 Stephanie Whittit rated it liked it
I think this book would be great to read to children of any age because it gives basic knowledge of American history. However' the illustrations on the pages were a little busy and could get distracting.it would be a fun book to read to start off a history lesson.
Jacqueline Lang
Mar 24, 2012 Jacqueline Lang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This book is an awesome description and biography of the ABC's of America. Every letter in the alphabet represents something about America. For example: K is for King, Martin Luther KIng Jr. There are excellent illustrations of the different heroes of America.
Samantha Buchanan
This book was very busy and had a lot going on. It was full of interesting fact and knowledge, but could be very distracting for young readers.
Rani
Brimming with history and satisfying the curiosity of the readers, this title will be favorite for a long time.
Angie
Jun 20, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing
A patriotic alphabet book with excellent illustrations by Robin Preiss Glasser...I love her work! This not only worth reading, it's worth owning.
Cynthia Egbert
Aug 02, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
A very nice addition to every family's library. There is stuff in here that might teach the adults a thing or two, or at least help them to remember!
Skylar Burris
Jan 08, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Maybe I'll think more of this when my daughter is older, but there must be less busy and less boring ways to teach history and convey a sense of patriotism.
Jalisa Mcdaniel
Sep 11, 2008 Jalisa Mcdaniel rated it liked it
Shelves: our-great-nation
This colorful book goes through the alphabet and with each letter it describes a different event dealing with the United States. Its a great way to teach history and also letters.
Danielle Strickland
Mar 29, 2011 Danielle Strickland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
Great book about America. It goes through each letter of the alphabet and tells about something about America. It has beautiful illustrations and great famous quotes.
Hannah O'Hearn
Apr 28, 2016 Hannah O'Hearn rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book goes through the alphabet and celebrates American including right, women's suffrage, and the declaration of independence. I enjoyed this book and would probably read this for a holiday.
Jodi Young
This is an ABC book that I would not use for students who need practice recognizes their letters. I would read this book when we are discussing events in history.
Jennie
Jul 24, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I like all these patriotic books by Lynne Cheney. I've been wanting to teach my children about this great country and these are fantastic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • We the Kids
  • George Washington
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • The Pledge of Allegiance
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • How to Bake an American Pie
  • The Underwater Alphabet Book
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • The Children's Book of Heroes
  • Previously
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
Lynne Ann Vincent Cheney, is a novelist, conservative scholar, and former talk-show host who is the wife of former Vice President Dick Cheney.
More about Lynne Cheney...