Start by marking “Devil's Guard” as Want to Read:
Devil's Guard

Devil's Guard (Devil's Guard #1)

The personal account of a guerrilla fighter in the French Foreign Legion, reveals the Nazi Battalion's inhumanities to Indochinese villagers.
Published December 18th 2008 by Delta (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Guard

Chris
Mar 31, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic that is hard to find, but passed around Marine Infantry Platoons for all grunts to read. It is a fascinating tale of Germany SS troops who evaded capture after the end of WWII from the Eastern front with Russia. They escaped to Switzerland where they joined the French Foreign Legion. The Irony of having former SS troops serve France while the rest of their comrades are being sentenced to death is not lost. In the Legion they are sent to French Indochina, where they are consolid ...more
Scott
Jul 11, 2007 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nazis
I've read this several times since my early teens and each time I read it I like it less.

The basic premise of this novel is that it's not actually a novel, but based on the experiences of a real person and the author simply spiffed it up. It's about Nazis, mainly Waffen SS, who escape from Germany after WWII and join the French Foreign Legion. They get sent to French Indochina (present day Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam) to fight the Communist insurgents.

When I was a teenager I actually believed t
John Donoghue
Jul 03, 2012 John Donoghue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when I was in the army... and it was passed around the platoon. What an amazing tale!
Steve Woods
There was little of any substance in this book. Pulp sensationalism and apologist for the Nazi Waffen SS. True war does things to people particular guerrilla warfare. It is nasty and uncompromising, with little latitude for quarter either way. The author paints these guys with some ambivalence. Certainly outstanding soldiers but there seemed to be just a bit too much enjoyment in the telling.

Whether the story is true or not who can tell. There were several points of interest though; the identif
Nov 07, 2013 No rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Great highly entertaining read. Also a lot to learn about guerilla warfare methods and tricks of the trade. Very bloody battles, murders, rape, and torcher scenes.

A huge negative for me was that a couple of the main characters have a relationship with halfbreeds and chinese girls, one even gets married. Making these ex SS officers of low moral character and ones whoe obviously cared nothing about race. The book is extremely anti-communist and the SS are unrepentent Nazis, so the good in this bo
Dm
Dec 23, 2014 Dm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems to me to be good fiction and not a true story as claimed, mostly due to some of the details included by the author. Statistically speaking they were bound to be some SS in the French Foreign Legion after WWII. I doubt there were many or else the proof would have surfaced. The usual blah, blah war is hell comments ("c'est la guerre"), and the author trying to impress you with the brutality of the 'former SS men'. You'll learn more German watching Hogans Hero's. An entertaining book if you l ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Members of the Waffen SS join the French Foreign Legion fighting in Vietnam. With no country to return to how will they survive?
Martin Mcananey
Sep 04, 2010 Martin Mcananey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first military book i read back in the early eighties, believed it at the time but since proved to be fiction.
Still a cracking read
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Chris Buckham
Jun 01, 2016 Chris Buckham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Devil's Guard
Author: George Robert Elford
ISBN: 978-0-440-12014-8
Publisher: Dell Publishing
Softcover
Pages: 336
Photos/Maps: 0

Elford's book has become, in the opinion of many, a classic biography of a soldier engaged in asymmetric warfare. The main character, ex-Waffen SS partisanjaeger Hans Josef Wagemueller, is pro-ported to have met with the author in the far east and to have related his story to him. The author recounts his tale, with as little changed as possible, of him leading his Ge
John Casper
Amusing concept, Nazis in Vietnam! Not sure if outright fiction or a mixture of fact, fiction and nazi propaganda.
D Sibilant
Feb 21, 2017 D Sibilant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
such tripe
Jorge Matheos
How can you rate a book such as this? It's obviously a piece of propaganda. It's clearly pulp literature, but as far as pulp literature goes, it's a great novel. It's often called a "Nazi" novel, though in the strictest sense, it's anti-communist, but not necessarily racist. It would more accurately be called a piece of Cold War anti-communist propaganda, as it contains diatribes against Hiterlism and totalitarianism in general.

It's view of the Vietnamese natives is mixed, but clearly condescen
Tessy
Jan 23, 2017 Tessy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am unsure on the authenticity of these memoirs belonging to an actual SS agent, but the book is definitely an exciting read . Ever so often we wonder why people follow a particular propaganda and are willing to kill and die for it . Many examples of the same can be seen in our current society as well, be it the raging terror organisations or state sponsored atrocities. This book brings you a step closer to humanizing these individuals who do the ground level execution . I am not supporting the ...more
Casey Bell
Sep 24, 2016 Casey Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding story. It should be on the Commandant's Reading List, re-enlistments would probably go up. I read it almost a decade ago but it still resonates with me. Gives an accurate glimpse of what it's like to be in a combat zone. Their tactics in French Indochina were brutal, but effective, and would never be sanctioned (publicly) by modern nations. I'm not sure about the truth of the narrative, which has to be fictional, but the author clearly had military experience (or spoke to someone who ...more
Lee
Feb 15, 2014 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much debate exists about how many former Nazis actually swelled the ranks of the French Foreign Legion in Indochina. How much of this book is fact or fiction begs the question of how modern armies fight local insurgencies. Counterinsurgency lessons learned by French Officer Roger Trinquier in his Modern Warfare: A French View of Counterinsurgency prefigure U.S. assassination group the Phoenix program in Vietnam, controversial 'enhanced interrogation' in the Second Iraq war, and our own President ...more
Tony
Mar 24, 2014 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-war
Like "Starship Troopers", I read this very differently when I was a young soldier than I do now.

As a soldier, I was intrigued by how the German Legionnaires did things (notwithstanding their, shall we say, looseness with the laws of war).

Now, when I re-read it, I like how it shows the "feel" of soldiering, and the questions it raises about what is worthwhile to stop a war.

P.S. - While a smashing good action book read, contrary to some reports, it's fiction.
Bruce Graham
A bit of a mixed bag. Rough, tough, primitive, simplistic, but the narrative drive is strong and the stories are compelling, especially to anyone who has spent time in Vietnam. Like the action described this is a 'take no prisoners' type of book. Readers will either identify with the narrator or hate him.
Ian
Aug 14, 2015 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good tale of the SS. It would be nice to know the truth of it all. Well worth a read as it made me do the research on the SS. They were all not evil but good soldiers fighting for a evil cause in the war. Their talents used by the French in Vietnam to good effect. No glory in war and this book proves it on every page.
Steve Scott
An entertaining, if spurious work, about the legend of former S.S. soldiers in the French Foreign Legion in Indochina.

Passed off as "the fascinating true story of the French Foreign Legion's Nazi battalion", critics have pointed out there isn't really anything to substantiate the author's claims. It is a fun book, though.

Amy
Aug 14, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friggin' AWESOME. It took awhile to get into, but boy, once I did ol' Hans had me in his grip. Ahhh, the slaying. Never thought I would enjoy it, but it did. Not sure it was good for my temper though...I've wanted to bayonet people at random who slightly bother me...
Parker Jenks
Jan 07, 2014 Parker Jenks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this book. Some people have started doubting the claim that this is a true story or not. I'm not sure if it is or not but you can still enjoy the book for what it is. This is one of the best books on guerilla warfare tatics.
Nate
Apr 02, 2012 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intruiging first hand account of anti-guerrilla warfare. A truly unique book that underscores many of the issues that modern nation states face when fighting insurgencies from the moral high ground.
Lee
Aug 23, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this years ago, my memory is that it was a Fascinating history, with no holds barred... not sure now about the accuracy of it all, and some of the political viewpoints expressed are decidedly non-PC today
Jessica
"No shit, there I was." Ridiculous and fantastic collection of war stories from the German wolves of the French Foreign Legion in Indochina. A little tedious in that the tactical vignettes were harder to follow than a larger plot would have been. Who cares if it's true? (Ref: Tim O'Brien)
Frank
Feb 19, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really just a recollection of the missions the Nazis in the French foreign legion were involved in after the Nazi surrender in World War II. Good if you are interested. Very violent.
Anthony O'brien
Dec 21, 2014 Anthony O'brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a pulp fiction book, brilliant.
Raegan Butcher
I like to read about the French Foreign Legion and the War in Indochina, so this was of interest.
Alison
Jun 05, 2009 Alison marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The fascinating story of the French Foreign Legion's Nazi Battalion"

One of my Marines is reading this...sounds dark but very cool.
Anthony
Apr 26, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an essential for any one wishing to learn the concepts for thinking outside the box and that good and bad can just be a matter of placement in location or time.
  • The Phantom Major
  • Scorched Earth: The Russian-German War, 1943-1944
  • The Holocaust: The Fate of European Jewry, 1932-1945 (Studies in Jewish History)
  • Bat 21
  • Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • Brazen Chariots
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • Fighting the Flying Circus: The Greatest True Air Adventure to Come out of World War I
  • Submarine!
  • Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion
  • Washington Goes to War
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends