Start by marking “Story Structure - Demystified” as Want to Read:
Story Structure - Demystified

Story Structure - Demystified

A comprehensive study of how a successful novel, screenplay or even a short story breaks down into a sequence of mission-driven parts separated by succinct functional milestone moments. The result is a context-driven and mission-driven model for story sequencing, forever answering the question, "what do I write next, where do I put it, and why does it work there?"
ebook
Published 2009

To ask other readers questions about Story Structure - Demystified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Story Structure - Demystified

Steven
Jul 31, 2011 Steven rated it really liked it
STORY STRUCTURE--DEMYSTIFIED has gotten my novel on track, helping me to go from a stack of index cards consisting of scenes I couldn't figure out where to place in the story, to a solid structure of story milestones that act as a skeleton to hold the novel upright while I fill in the connective tissue with the talking, fighting, loving, and traveling my characters do on their own.
While I don't necessarily agree with Brooks that his structure is "non-negotiable" if an author intends to sell his
Jessica Anne
Aug 18, 2016 Jessica Anne rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Really clearly written and invaluable information for a novice writer like myself. It defines the major parts and turning points in a novel, where in the novel they should occur, and how they work together to create a coherent, publishable novel. Larry Brooks uses analogies as well as examples from well known books and movies to illustrate basic story structure. I will be re-reading and referencing this book often. If you're writing novels or screenplays, this is a must-read.
Nicolette Hugo
Jul 26, 2014 Nicolette Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is such a brilliant gem of a book for writers.

Larry is gold. He makes it so accessible and easy to get your head around. I have read a few bits here and there about structure and while it makes sense conceptually, there always seems a gap to trying to overlay it on my stories - Larry fills the gap. What's more the books is short, to the point and easy to read. I finished it in a couple of hours yesterday and that included some mind mapping of the key points.

Highly recommended.
Katy
Jul 02, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOW to write my novel!

This book has made it very clear the importance of story structure. While I knew some if the things listed, there was also much I needed to learn! As a new writer, I look forward to using this in my first novel.
Cathy Yardley
Jun 27, 2011 Cathy Yardley rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I'm a hard-core plotter, but this helped me look at the "middle" in an entirely new way, and finally explained the damned midpoint in a way I loved. All this material has been folded into his new book, STORY ENGINEERING. Great stuff!
Simone
Simone rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Ethan Grech
Ethan Grech rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Boingboing
Boingboing rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Robin
Dec 20, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I need to think about this one some more.
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2010
Kelly Collins
Kelly Collins rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Ryana
Ryana rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Shawn Raiford
Shawn Raiford rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Etta Craft
Etta Craft rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Jeff Doten
Jeff Doten rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Ginny  Gallagher
Ginny Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Henry Hamer
Henry Hamer rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2011
Monkton Tuesdale
Monkton Tuesdale rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2010
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Judit Campos
Judit Campos rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Liam Kingman
Liam Kingman rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Eleyne
Eleyne rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012