Start by marking “A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)” as Want to Read:
A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)

A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Unsurpassed for its clarity, conciseness, and comprehensiveness, Hurley's market-leading A CONCISE INTRODUCTION TO LOGIC has established itself as the standard for introductory logic classes. Hailed in the first eight editions for an unwavering commitment to lucid, focused, reader-friendly presentations of logic's basic topics, the latest edition also continues to expand u ...more
Published February 18th 2005 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about A Concise Introduction to Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Concise Introduction to Logic

Chris Gager
No CD-Rom back in '72 when I took a 5-credit hour course at Metro State. Very difficult and mathematical after the simple beginnings. I think we were all baffled. There were about ten guys in the class plus one female. Absolutely gorgeous woman... A tall, slender red-haired gal who worked as a stripper and invited her classmates to come and see the show. Married... Date is approximate.
Jim Morrison
It might seem odd to review a text book on the subject of logic. I happen to think the thing that our society is lacking most nowadays is simply the ability to make rational decisions based on the skill needed to understand analysis and distinguish the rational from the irrational. This book provides an excellent basis for disclosing poorly conceived political policies, finding flaws in what we read and see on television, and quite simply making sound arguments ourselves.

I find the chapter on I
Deedles
NOPE! This book is just an expensive reminder that I am more pathological than logical. At first I thought I could handle Philosophy of Logic. The first few chapters made sense. Sure, I said to myself, I can see the fallacy in these arguments and whether they are deductive or inductive, etc. But then came the proofs.

PROOFS.

That was when I knew I was in a world of hurt. In high school I passed geometry with a very solid D. Everyday I stared at that stupid red origami crane, watching it mock me as
Mike
Read this for a logic class. I would of much rather spent more time on the fallacies and seen more ways in which they are used both incorrectly and correctly. I didn't really care for anything else in the book. It was a decent textbook, but my horrible teacher didn't help, all she did was go through the book and never added anything else of her own.
Alvaro
Loved it. It needed an additional chapter on inductive logic but I really enjoyed it and I will be using it as a bible for my LSAT studies... that is of course until I find a better book.
Bishop
A great introduction to logic. Well organized and clear, this is a great place to start for the person looking for exposure to the fundamentals of logic.
Zephyr
I have greatly enjoyed the study of logic, both in the context of college philosophy courses and in its application to daily life as the framework for rational thinking. Of the logic texts I have read and used (by Irving Copi, Trudy Govier and others) this is the one I most enjoyed reading and feel I most benefitted from. I have found that I most effectively gain mastery of new concepts through application and Hurley's book is packed with good examples. I found working through these useful in be ...more
Shiv
There are three words that come to mind when I think of the word "concise": comprehensive, brief, and clear. Whilst this textbook succeeds at being comprehensive, at over 670 pages it fails at being brief or clear. Simple concepts are explained at such length as to render them baffling, and the writing falls significantly short of readable. It is such a pity as it is an interesting topic.
David
As a preliminary note, this review pertains to the 1997 sixth edition, not the up to date 2008 edition (I couldn't find that one on here). This isn't a bad book. I didn't enjoy it a great deal, but I suspect that is more the subject matter than the author's treatment. This book is much more about reducing arguments to mathematical representations and using math-like operations to test validity and such. That is probably what logic is all about, but I had misconceived it as something much more in ...more
Avel Deleon
This a great introduction to logic. It can be long winded at times, but for the most part it does a well job of explaining the material. And do not worry, every chapter provides countless examples.
C J
As expected, logical and concise. A good refresh for those of us who have let the day-to-day fragment our thoughts.
Cain S. Pinto
This is the best book on Logic for beginners. It is exhaustive, has plenty of exercises, is very clear and systematic.
Ty
Second best logic book I know of and a prized possession. Logic makes the world go round, sometimes.
Chris Schaefer
A book from college that I refuse to sell. That should say enough of how good this is...
Textbookman
Class: Philosophy 109, Intro to Logic
Condtion: Like new
willing to sell
untogether
A Concise Introduction to Logic (with CD-ROM) by Patrick J. Hurley (2005)
Autum
I disliked this book, as philosiphy is not my strong suit!!!
untogether
A Concise Introduction to Logic by Patrick J. Hurley (2007)
Waqar Asim
I HAVE NOT WRITTEN ANY BOOK YET
Patrick
Textbook, No Comment.
James
Jan 29, 2010 James is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just getting started.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
chris.lafortune
chris.lafortune marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Dec 16, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • A History of Philosophy 1: Greece and Rome
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous
  • The Mystery Of Consciousness
64 (Mike Gallagher Mystery Series) Learning Logic 6.0 CD-ROM for a Concise Introduction, 11th Pynchon Character Names: A Dictionary The Quarterback (Michael Gallagher Mystery Series) The Promise (Mike Gallagher Mystery)