Start by marking “Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert” as Want to Read:
Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert

Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert (Dune Universe)

Everyone knows Frank Herbert's Dune.

This amazing and complex epic, combining politics, religion, human evolution, and ecology, has captured the imagination of generations of readers. One of the most popular science fiction novels ever written, it has become a worldwide phenomenon, winning awards, selling millions of copies around the world. In the prophetic year of 1984, D
Published April 19th 2003 by Tor Books (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamer of Dune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamer of Dune

Tudor Ciocarlie
I'm still waiting for the real biography of Frank Herbert.
Edward
Dec 22, 2015 Edward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Herbert was a jerk. But also a genius. He was also capable of intense love, loyalty, and feeling. In short, he was complicated.

That may not come as a surprise to many, especially when studying the life of an artist. Complicated people often produce art that is as nuanced and disquieting as they are. I recently read the original six Dune books and was curious to read a little more about the mind that came up with such hauntingly weird stories. There is a layered complexity to Dune that alm
James
May 29, 2014 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a Brian Herbert pitty party than a biography of Frank Herbert. The writing is as bad as his Dune sequel/prequels. Really, if someone is reading this there's a good chance they're a fan of FH and have read his books, you don't have to tell us what they're about every time they're mentioned. I gave it two starts just for the information about FH I didn't know before.
Jcrew
Jul 01, 2013 Jcrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this biography written by Brian Herbert and......wow...I really disliked it. Let's just say I have personal reasons for reading this book. This account read like a 13-year old's diary - shoving snippets here and there - oddly mashed, incomplete and a lot of times out of place. The constant tug of pity-me/praise-me irritated me the whole way through and made it apparent that Brian has unresolved daddy issues. Cry me a river....

What strikes me most about this book is how Brian wrot
Alex Gregory
Brian Herbert's "Dreamer of Dune" is a solid, if unpolished and narratively unfocused, look at his father Frank Herbert.

As any of you reading likely already know about the man's work and legacy, I'll skip the preamble and go straight to brass tacks. This feels like the first draft of a manuscript. What interesting insights there are about Frank's life and work are marred by repetitive writing and a matter-of-fact writing style that comes off as plain boring. It reads like "babby's first novel" -
Post Defiance
The following originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/son-of-tacoma..., written by Erik Hanberg.

He wrote one of the bestselling science fiction novels ever. He won both the Nebula and the Hugo Awards – the two most prestigious awards in science fiction. NASA has officially approved the naming of geographic features on Saturn’s moon Titan after words coined by him.

He’s from Tacoma, but no one here seems to know it.

The man is Frank Herbert, and he is the author of the science fiction classic
Suzanne
Dreamer of Dune is the biography of Frank Herbert - the masterful creator of the Dune science fiction series, as told by his son, author Brian Herbert.

I will say from the outset that this is one of the finest biographies I have ever read. Brian Herbert helps the reader understand the real man behind the books as well as gives great insight into the genius that was his father. That is no small task - presenting someone in all his humanity and, at the same time evoking his brilliance - and Brian H
Mar 06, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dune fans
Shelves: biography
This is an essential read for anyone interested in the Dune series. I loved reading about Frank Herbert's evolution as both a writer and a person. Brian Herbert does an impressive job by writing about his father truthfully, examining both his strengths and weakness.

One paradox within Frank's character was how brilliant and gregarious he was with adults and yet was a vicious harbinger of discipline with his sons (Brian and Bruce). He went to great lengths to help his friends and was possibly the
Rob
Jul 05, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it
...Brian Herbert has received a lot of criticism for the way he has dealt with Frank Herbert's literary legacy. Some of it even justified given the quality of the recent Dune books. I was afraid that with a book weighing in at well over 500 pages he had gone a bit overboard on this project. I read the book in four days in which I ought to have been studying a lot more than I actually did. Brian Herbert's description of his father's life is a fascinating read. He shows us a complex man, at once b ...more
Ian Chapman
Jan 27, 2012 Ian Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting work, although maybe would have been better with some editing. Brian Herbert reveals that his father, partly of Catholic Irish-American background, was extremely anti-English. This shows in the Dune universe, where there is no reference to any specifically English cultural heritage out in the future, that I can recall. Frank Herbert is also shown as a longterm Republican Party supporter, on the grounds of extreme anti-marxism, and supporter of President Nixon. He went on a mission to ...more
Scott Golden
Jan 21, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a mixed bag:
Part fond reminiscence, including heretofore unrevealed family history;
Part cheerleading session, if you don't know after reading this book that "Dune" & "Soul Catcher" were Frank's favorite of his own works then you haven't paid attention during the MULTIPLE repetitions of this fact;
Part airing of grievances, Frank was less-than-accepting when Brian's brother 'came out'.
The book is uneven -- more focused during the early 'family history' section, long and drawn out during a
Fantasy Literature
In 2003 Tor released Dreamer of Dune, a biography of Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986) written by his son Brian Herbert, who has written a number of novels as well. The best known of these are the DUNE prequels and sequels written in collaboration with Kevin J. Anderson. Dreamer of Dune is not the only book about Frank Herbert or his works but the others I am aware of are currently out of print. My copy had been sitting on a shelf for years before I finally picked it up after finishing Frank Herbert’s ...more
Steven
I suppose each person reads a biography to answer different questions. My questions centered around the mind that created the Dune universe. There was a fair amount of material in that direction.

The book was entrenched in the POV of Frank Herbert, my dad, going into detail about the death of the wife (mother) and Frank (father), from the POV of Brian, the son and author. This became tedious.

Decent, just so.
Kingsley L. Dennis
There is a lot of detail here about Frank Herbert's life - I mean, a lot of tiny family details...so a real peek into his daily life. What is lacking is insight into the inspiration behind Frank Herbert. This is a well-written 2-D account of FH.... yet it shows that Brian Herbert doesn't - or didn't - really know what was going on inside his own father...
Keith
Dec 27, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The fascinating story of the life of one of my favorite authors. The writing is at times amateurish and in need of editing, but at other times beautiful and poignant. Despite this complaint, I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Frank Herbert.
Christina
Dec 24, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful biography of Frank Herbert
Mike Frizzell
Mar 20, 2011 Mike Frizzell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
In places the prose is clunky, but overall a decent look at the life of a ground-breaking Amercan writer.
Jul 14, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Frank Herbert, but this biography was very poorly written. Sped read the entire book just so I could finish it as quickly as possible.
Christopher Boland
A very interesting man, journo and jack of all trades.
James Resch
The story of Frank Herbert is as interesting to me as the stories he wrote. Not completely for everyone, but for Dune nerds its a must.
Jacob Howard
Sep 05, 2014 Jacob Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well detailed biography about one of my favorite authors that I couldn't put down. It was marred a bit by some dumb comments the author (his son) made but overall really good.
Scott Bodien
How could I not be swept away by the Evergreen state imagery and the fact Group Health saved both of their lives?!?
Anne Norwood
Anne Norwood rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Alexandre
Alexandre rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Tavi S
Tavi S rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
David Strickland
David Strickland rated it it was ok
May 05, 2013
Mike Gonzalez
Mike Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Noni
Noni rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
  • The Road to Dune (Dune Universe)
  • The Battles of Dune
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • The Science of Dune
  • Russia: The Once and Future Empire From Pre-History to Putin
  • The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury (P.S.)
  • The John Varley Reader
  • The Way the Future Was: A Memoir
  • Sophia Tolstoy: A Biography
Brian Patrick Herbert is an American author who lives in Washington state. He is the elder son of science fiction author Frank Herbert.
More about Brian Herbert...

Dune Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1)
  • Whipping Mek (Legends of Dune, #1.5)
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • The Faces of a Martyr (Legends of Dune, #2.5)
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
  • Sisterhood of Dune (Schools of Dune #1)
  • Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune #2)
  • Navigators of Dune (Schools of Dune #3)
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune #1)

“Written words, if carefully laid down, represent the civilized ideal of reason.” 2 likes