Start by marking “The Dark Province: Son of Duprin” as Want to Read:
The Dark Province: Son of Duprin

The Dark Province: Son of Duprin

Sitting in the honored stalls of the Crystal Sanctuary, Calvin Gooding should be rejoicing in the message he receives from the Holy King of Duprin. But his heart is heavy. He awaits the carriage in which he must ride to deliver the fated news to his family. Time has run out. In the midst of this sorrow, exhaustion, and uncertainty, a sorceress from the Dark Province appear ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Province, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Province

Dianne Jones
Aug 17, 2010 Dianne Jones rated it it was amazing
From the first moment I read the prologue, I was intrigued and anxiously awaited the story as it unfolded. I stood alongside Calvin's mother in the Dark Province to discover the fate of Mari. Although, it was a fantasy, I felt the pain that Calvin endured as he longed for guidance as to whether to rely upon the religion that he had been taught, embraced, and followed; or take a different path and follow his faith. At that moment, I realized that Dark Province was far more than just a fantasy.

I
Stephanie
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My Summary: The novel starts off with Calvin addressing a crowd of people and telling them that he isn't sorry for the things he's done. Calvin is being accused of treason against the Holy Nation of Duprin, and he knows that his executioner is somewhere in the crowd...

Calvin's twin sister Marilyn (Mari) has been his best friend since the moment they were born. They spent their childhoods together, b
Heather Book Savvy Babe
May 17, 2011 Heather Book Savvy Babe rated it did not like it
Let me start by saying that the premise of The Dark Province was promising. The idea that a character has to separate faith from religion in a fantasy setting sounded like a great read. I enjoy books that challenge thought and spirituality, that take the reader on a journey of discovery, along with the characters. However, I was disappointed in this book. Primarily, I just did not like the main character, Calvin. He was so biased and judgmental. With his roots firmly entrenched in a certain rel ...more
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Usually I would reiterate the premise of the novel, but William H. Johnson gives you everything you need to know right in the blurb.

Favorite Quote:

“Let me first say that I apologize for nothing – not an action, not even a thought. “

The Dark Province isn’t something I normally would have chosen to read, but I am happy I did. It was complex & totally threw me out of my normal comfort zone, as I tend not to read anything with religious undertones.

This book really is an adventure, through caves,
Angela
Jul 30, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Lush is the word that comes to mind when I reflect on my impression of William Johnson's debut novel. The book is a sprawling tale of morality, spirituality, and personal choice, taking the reader on a wild yet thoughtful ride through the worlds of Calvin Gooding. Although fantasy novels are not high on my reading list, I was a huge fan of the late Octavia Butler. I could not help but think of her while indulging in the fantasy world Johnson has created. The Dark Province, as a fantasy landscape ...more
Sue Owen
Jun 25, 2011 Sue Owen rated it liked it
Johnson does an excellent job describing situations and places. I really enjoyed walking through the forest and cities with his characters. His descriptions of places brings me right there and lets me enjoy or fear right along with his people. The way he creates a whole world with words I amazing to me. Well worth the price of the book right there!

I liked reading this book but at times I got over whelmed with too many things. The characters were well established and easy to associate with.

Gener
Theodene
May 15, 2011 Theodene rated it it was amazing
Very captivating and engaging book. Enjoyed every moment of it's thrilling scenes. Creatively brings together various walks of life in an interesting dialogue in different societies. Highly recommend and looking forward to the next book!
Annabel
Apr 20, 2011 Annabel rated it it was amazing
You can read my review of this book here:

S.L. Naeole
S.L. Naeole rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2010
Debora Lima
Debora Lima rated it really liked it
May 27, 2011
C.K. Webb
Jul 04, 2010 C.K. Webb rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for book 2
Lou
Lou marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2010
Bryan Schmidt
Bryan Schmidt marked it as to-read
May 20, 2010
Kimberly Hicks
Kimberly Hicks marked it as to-read
May 06, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2011
Portrait of a Book
Portrait of a Book marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2011
Cathryn Louis
Cathryn Louis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2010
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2011
William H. Johnson was born and raised in Fairfax, Virginia, the grandson of an Apostolic Pentecostal preacher and the son of an educator.

His dream of becoming an author began in the eleventh grade after he wrote his first short story entitled Brenda, a tale about a mother who lost everything in life only to regain it all upon ascending to heaven.

He received his bachelor’s degree from James Madiso
More about William H. Johnson...