Start by marking “Cesty, po kterých jsme se nevydali (Noční strana, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cesty, po kterých jsme se nevydali (Noční strana, #5)

Cesty, po kterých jsme se nevydali (Nightside #5)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  8,346 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
John Taylor just discovered his long-gone mother created the Nightside—the dark heart of London—and intends to destroy it. To save his birthplace, he will have to travel back through a very distant—and probably deadly—past.

Published 2006 by Polaris (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cesty, po kterých jsme se nevydali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cesty, po kterých jsme se nevydali

Julie
Mar 06, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me it's always very interesting and very brave when an author creates a good character that does bad things to good people because he has to and he knows it. He can look someone in the eye, tell them that he's so very sorry, and then do something utterly horrible to them because it has to be that way.

Very rarely to authors continue with that kind of harshness with the hero through a whole series of books. Usually the character buckles or makes an exception or something magically happens that
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
We're really getting into the meat of this story, and something tells me that I'm gonna have to order the most recent book at some point.

John Taylor has a mission. In the last book, he was tasked with finding out how the Nightside got started, and his search revealed a secret that had long been hidden - the identity of his long-lost mother. He'd wanted to know all his life, and now that he does, he'd do anything to stop her.

His mother is a dangerous woman, and he knows that the best way to find
M
Oct 21, 2015 M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok im fine with a book that forces a hero to do horrible things because it's the only way to stop some Great evil or because it's the only way to save their own lives. But Taylor's just a selfish A-hole. Honestly, i would buy Pretty Posion (evil succubus that enjoys leading the good to hell) as the hero over Taylor, at least she's honest about what she does and Why. He lies, tricks, and kills people throughout the seris when he really doesn't have too. He doesn't even try to find an alternative ...more
Alexander Draganov
Very interesting and original Nightside novel, which has awesome monsters, epic fights and shattering revelations as John Taylor and his friend Suzie travel trough the past, in order to discover the true origins of the Nightside; the Wild Hunt was especially marvellous chapter. The character development is also quite strong, as well as the romantic touch. My only complain is that the characters sometimes seem way too powerful for the tension of the story, this is a problem Green had in some of t ...more
Kat  Hooper
Jun 01, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Warning: Contains spoilers for previous NIGHTSIDE books. If you haven’t read them, please start at the beginning with Something from the Nightside. Otherwise you’ll be lost.

Paths Not Taken is the fifth book in Simon R. Green’s NIGHTSIDE series. In the previous installment, Hex and the City, John Taylor investigated the origins of the Nightside and discovered that Lilith, his own mother, was its creator. Now, in Paths Not Taken,
Behdad Ahmadi
ترجمه این سری هم که شده جگر زلیخا. تا الآن 4 یا 5 تا مترجم متفاوت به خودش دیده این مجموعه. اما تنها امید فعلا به اینه که مترجم بقیه جلد ها یک نفره (و مترجم جلد اول که ترجمه بسیار خوبی داشت هم نیست).

اما خود کتاب, یک نایت ساید کاملا کلاسیکه. حجم حوادث کولاک می کنه, اتفاقات بسیار پر هیجان, پر تعداد و کوتاه. اما بالاخره آخرش دوباره یک اتفاق طولانی و پر کشش و پر توصیف هم دیده میشه که برای جلوگیری از کسل شدن روایت خیلی خوب بود.

اما اصولن نایت ساید کتابی نیست که یادت بمونه, یا حتا ارزش دوباره خوندن رو د
Alondra
Jul 20, 2016 Alondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 Stars

Another fun time with John Taylor, as he attempts to go back in time to save the Nightside and his friends from the wrath of his mother. Lilith has returned, as we know; and she is up to no good. He takes along a couple of friends, and makes many enemies along the way. His reputation seems to proceed him. The confrontation between John and Lilith was exciting to see, as he realizes how alien she truly is.
Graylark
Oct 08, 2015 Graylark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-5-stars
The plot meandered all over the place. Too many loopholes/ unanswered questions, and pointless filler.

(view spoiler)
Chichipio
Jan 19, 2010 Chichipio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The first three quarters of this book were almost painful to read. Too much self-fulfilling prophecy for my liking; especially because, this time, it was John himself the one doing it, instead of his enemies. After what he saw in the previous book, he should know better.

I know that John is supposed to be more bluff than brains, but some of his decisions here set a new low, even for him. The whole thing with Merlin came up a bit out of the blue. They talked to him a little, then, without further
Stephen
Apr 22, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the little intro stories. Like a freebie tacked on to the start of the book that other authors would be flogging as xyz saga n.5 Great that it is included and really helps set the scene.

The main story was pretty cool, too. The time travel elements linked perfectly with the history (future?) of the Nightside that we know so far. John Taylor is becoming a force to be reckoned with, both the character and the series.

Wizards P.I.s from Chicago should be worried!

4.5* from me.
M
Jun 15, 2015 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In good enough condition to take on a trip---I left half of this novel in the Minneapolis airport recycling bin! It made hours pass, but I'm not sure I will pursue other books by Simon R. Green. Thank you Danika!
Wickedshizuku
Feb 01, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
*GAH BLAH BLAH!* Angst! Serious angst saturates the pages of this one!
John and Suzie do some time traveling in this one, and you'll never believe where they go.

GIFSoup
Yeah, you're sure as hell not going to find that out from me. I'm gonna need you to go pick up this series by Friday. Yeah.
Cheers Pretties!
Rachel
Jan 15, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, forgive me for saying so, but these books are not high art. But they are fun and quick reads. This one has John Taylor going back in time to see the creation of Nightside, to help him figure out how to stop his mother Lilith from destroying it in the present. It has a strong focus on Suzie Shooter, her relationship with him, and the knowledge John has of her possible future.

You know, fun, interesting ideas about time travel, love the pop culture references (how many lines are quotes from o
Sherri
Apr 12, 2016 Sherri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My reviews on this series are going to be incredibly repetitive, because they books themselves are pretty repetitive. Green apparently does a "cut and paste" when writing his character descriptions, though his series is not quite as bad as his "Hawk and Fisher" series in that department. That tendency automatically gets this book (and all others after it) lose a star just because I get bored reading the same first chapter in every book. This one lost and extra star because it felt like a "filler ...more
Martin Murd
Dec 03, 2015 Martin Murd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
That book is the first one in my remembered history that i have rated with 1 star. It is not how the book is written nor is it because of a storyline. Those would make it a solid 3, maybe even 4 star book.

The shoddy rating comes from one thing only: John Taylor.

I have personal distaste about hypocritical a**holes as a general disposition and The Big Hero serves double helping plus a side dish of downright painful stupidity and arrogance. The amount of sheer self-righteous abuse he commits with
Daniel
Mar 17, 2014 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
May I begin by stating that overall, this was a tough book for me to get through.

I picked it up at a used bookstore, and I read the first few pages, and it seemed promising enough. However, what I didn't realize at the time is that it was fifth in a series. And while some readers may think this invalidates my review, please stick with me-- I believe a number of my thoughts would be valid had I still read the four books prior to this one.

And then let me also say I will not be reading the previous
Maggie K
Aug 21, 2012 Maggie K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
So, a lot of times these Nightside books are annoying to me because they're so over the top. This one could have fallen into that trap as there a couple of really ridiculous little vignettes that didn't need to be there, BUT...it was TIME TRAVEL people...and some real ass-whooping....and we see how a lot of supporting characters got their start..so it still gets 4 stars. Happy reading!
Nicole
I don't know what it is with me and this series. I haven't really thoroughly enjoyed a single book of it so far, but this book was sitting on my Kindle, ready and waiting, when I needed something else to read. So I read it.

John Taylor and Suzie Shooter star in this one, though John's more of an anti-hero than ever before. There's a lot of chasing people around, a bit of deus ex machina, and a lot more gore than I noticed in previous books.

Same old phrases make their appearances, excessive and
Kristin
Apr 07, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another enjoyable installation in the Nightside series. Our good protagonist, John Taylor, decided he needed to go back in Time to find out the beginnings of Nightside and confront his Mother, the Being and Power known as Lilith. Taylor's goal - to prevent Lilith from destroying a future Nightside. His companions on this quest are Tommy Oblivion and Suzie Shooter. Except, things don't go quite as planned...

Green continues to work on his world building and fleshing out his characters. In this boo
Lynne
Apr 15, 2015 Lynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I jumped into the middle of this series, which may bias my take on it somewhat. John Taylor is trying to prevent an awful future, but his methods are...not what I expect from the good guy. It's very unclear by the end of the book whether he did the right thing or not, but he has to live with it. Of course, this is DARK fantasy, so I suppose that's par for the course. On the other hand, the entire book is a really exciting chase through time/history to achieve his ends, with his sidekick/not love ...more
Ryan Mueller
Another fun entry in the Nightside series. It's completely over-the-top at times, but it keeps me turning the pages. I love the characters and world Green created, and it keeps getting more epic with every book.
Aelvana
Hilarious, yes, but there were several scenes that I think were supposed to show Taylor getting frustrated enough to do the wrong thing, because the right thing was too dangerous or unclear. Unfortunately, all it really did was make me not like the guy and wonder how Green had pushed him into the situation this fast, without leaving me very clear on why Taylor chose what he did. On the other hand, though, Green worked in several things I had thought were amusing but random in previous books to v ...more
Viridian5
This isn't so much a novel as a short story/novella and a novella that are linked only by the concept of time. I liked the first one, in which John Taylor helps a client who's been forcibly relocated to the Nightside and attacked by murderous alternate versions of himself at various ages. I wasn't as happy with the story of John Taylor and companions going back in time to see why Lilith created the Nightside and why she wants to destroy it in the present time. It kept telling me things I couldn' ...more
Midu Hadi

How John Taylor Surprised Me With His Beliefs About Good and Evil -- A Review of Paths Not Taken (Nightside #5)

My Thoughts

The first instance ever that I have read the words jet-black describing the MC's mom's hair. The thing with jet-black is that while I have heard it used quite often in my family, I haven't heard it or read it anywhere else. We use it to describe a shade of black darker than black and shiny. Maybe I found this word because this book was written by a British author and not an A
Heather
Feb 22, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Shotgun Suzy so much. And John.
Lilith, is batshit crazy.

This one started out pretty bland for me but picked up once they got into the meat of the story; by doing a thing that will help John deal with this whole Lilith mess.

And, it's quite a mess.

I've been listening to these on audio, and I love listening to John dealing with the emotions he tries so hard to keep shut down. He cares about all of his friends, even though he knows at the right cost, they'd have no problem taking him out.
Brett Damon
Apr 28, 2014 Brett Damon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jul 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well, this book explains why the possible future that has been plaguing John Taylor all his life is more probable than the other possible futures. It also turns out that a lot of problems Taylor has to deal with in his own time are ones he created in the past; John Taylor was a troublemaker in the Nightside before he was even born.

Not a bad book, but since it takes place in the past it reads almost like a prequel, leading to a predetermined destination rather than forging a new path.

***

In my rev
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
no spoilers! just a synopsis

I didn't like this one as much as I have the others, but that's okay. It was still quite good; just a little slower to start and get to the heart of the story. Our hero, John Taylor, in Book #4 "Hex and the City," decided that the only way to face down his mother (whose identity was discovered in said book) was to travel back through time and face her when she was at her weakest, after the creation of the Nightside. If you haven't read the first four books, you have a
Gareth Otton
It's a hard thing to review this latest book.

On the one hand it has a huge number of elements that I really hate. Time travel is always a great big no for me as I simply can't get past the unending paradoxes as well as the illogical cyclical problems that always arise. There is also the problem of the enormous amount of dubious philosophy that is thrown into this book in both the history of the world and behind the character's reasoning.

On the other hand this book is what I hoped it would be i
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Taylor has finally discovered who his mother is and after the confrontation with her that finished off the previous book in this series, he is ready to travel back in time to do his best to disrupt her plans. By being there at the origins of the Nightside and confronting Lilith he hopes to prevent the horrible visions of the future he has seen and knows that he is the cause of. Against his better judgement Shotgun Suzie and Tommy Oblivion want to tag along for the ride. They need to get Fat ...more
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“This isn't Hell, it's the Nightside. Thought sometime you can see Hell from here.” 17 likes
“Big corporations aren't always the bad guys; but it's the sensible way to bet.” 8 likes