Start by marking “The Nesting Season: Cuckoos, Cuckolds, and the Invention of Monogamy” as Want to Read:
The Nesting Season: Cuckoos, Cuckolds, and the Invention of Monogamy

The Nesting Season: Cuckoos, Cuckolds, and the Invention of Monogamy

Why are the eggs of the marsh wren deep brown, the winter wren's nearly white, and the gray catbird's a brilliant blue? And what in the DNA of a penduline tit makes the male weave a domed nest of fibers and the female line it with feathers, while the bird-of-paradise male builds no nest at all, and his bower-bird counterpart constructs an elaborate dwelling?

These are typic
Published May 15th 2010 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nesting Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nesting Season

dari
Nov 11, 2016 dari rated it really liked it
Shelves: ecology
If I must say only one sentence about this book it would be that Monogamy (genetic/social), Polyandry and Polyginy in birds are directly related to factors such as food abundance and distribution, predator abundance, predator/prey size ratio and other such basic indicators.

Heinrich doesn't get too far with the human comparison, he does mention it several times, but upon reading this book it seems reasonable to me to think that human societies are basically following the same basic rules.

Highly
John
Mar 19, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
A very readable and highly informative discussion of birds' nesting behavior, with a focus on the northeastern U.S. See my full review.
Patti
Jul 14, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it
Heinrich's books are always fascinating. I found this one to contain a bit more than I wanted to read about birds and their nests and eggs and behavior but just when I would tire of reading it, Heinrich would describe another amazing bit of bird knowledge. Here is a taste:" When I did manage to drop food into the baby phoebe's mouth, it swallowed and then as in a reflex, instantly turned around within a second presented its rear end to me, voiding a fecal pellet, before immediately dropping back ...more
Brian
May 10, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
No one can write like Heinrich when it comes to describing science in action. His inquisitive and very scientific mind coupled with his great enthusiasm for learning and knowledge make everything he writes interesting. I especially liked this book because it covered a wide range of behaviors and breeding systems for birds. He covered the theory and then gave examples of what he has observed around his home and cabin. Great read!
Oct 31, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read other reviews of this book that complained the author was too repetitive, but I found that it helped me learn and retain the subject matter. I am passionate about bird life and this book taught me a lot about their nest-building, mate-choosing, egg-laying habits. I do think it could have used a better editor, though. Some paragraphs could have used some tightening up.
Art
Dec 02, 2016 Art rated it it was amazing
Shelves: natural-history
An excellent book yet again by Bernd. He has matured in his writing in that he does not limit himself to only proven facts with regards to his observations. He now allows himself some speculation as to the root of animal behavior.

- I read eveythingg he writes so this was a natural pick
Steve
Aug 02, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
Interesting, but repetitious, disorganized, and desperately in need of proofreading.
Nosullivan
Nosullivan rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Elyse Fuller
Elyse Fuller rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Lawrence D Roesler
Lawrence D Roesler rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
LMegna
LMegna rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Deb
Aug 01, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
An entertaining learning experience.
A great read for anyone interested in birds and nature.
Zhiyuan
Oct 04, 2012 Zhiyuan rated it really liked it
Bernd's book on natural history is, as always, enjoyable to read.
Spencer
Spencer rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Grzegorz Chrupała
Grzegorz Chrupała rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
T.J. Benson
T.J. Benson rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Thomas Powell
Thomas Powell rated it really liked it
May 14, 2010
Su
Su rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Stephanie Nyhof
Stephanie Nyhof rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Petra Eggs
Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Donald Demarco
Donald Demarco rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Jeff Clark
Jeff Clark rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Kinglet
Kinglet rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Daniel Kirkland
Daniel Kirkland rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
helmut schoener
helmut schoener rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Bernd Heinrich was born in Germany (April 19, 1940) and moved to Wilton, Maine as a child. He studied at the University of Maine and UCLA and is Professor Emeritus of Biology at the University of Vermont.

He is the author of many books including Winter World, Ravens in Winter, Mind of the Raven and Why We Run. Many of his books focus on the natural world just outside the cabin door.

Heinrich has w
More about Bernd Heinrich...