Start by marking “Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings

Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)

Maximus is called the Confessor because of his sufferings and labors for the true faith. During the seventh century when the monothelite heresy (belief that Christ had only one will-----a divine one) plagued the Church, Maximus eloquently demonstrated that Christ had both human and divine natures.

Writing in the introduction to this volume Jaroslav Pelikan highlights the r

Published January 1st 1985 by Paulist Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximus the Confessor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximus the Confessor

David Withun
Jun 25, 2013 David Withun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This book contains several works by one of the greatest theologians in the history of Christianity. St. Maximus's approach to theology, in which he married the mystical and doctrinal, has been a major influence on the subsequent development of Christian thought. This book is an edifying pleasure to read and to contemplate throughout. I recommend it to anyone interested in matters of theology.
Alexander
Jan 22, 2014 Alexander rated it really liked it
[I am writing this review having read the Four Centuries on Love but little of the rest. I may update the review when I read some of the other selections, particularly the apophatic Chapters on Knoweledge.]

Maximus represents an interesting development and systematiziation of the thought of the Cappadocian Fathers along with other elements of early Christian thought in both west and east, which he combines in creative synthesis. It is possible that he had read Augustine, but there is no evidence
Debbi
This is not so much a read-through all at once book, but it was nice to use as part of my devotions. I especially enjoyed his 400 Chapters on Love and the Commentary on the Our Father, although his discussion of "Thy Kingdom Come" was a tough plow.
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
Mar 15, 2015 Ephraim Lawson Bowick rated it it was amazing
The Mystagogy is wonderful.
Seth
May 31, 2008 Seth rated it it was amazing
I am reading the Church's Mystagogy and The Chapters on Knowledge for a paper this semester in my Sacramental Ethics class. Maximus the Confessor's idea of the liturgy all creation as logoi coming back to unity through the tropos of Christ, while still remaining diverse ... and how this plays out whenever the liturgy is celebrated is mind-bogglingly wonderful. Love it.
Ian
Oct 20, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing
Magnificent. In the ancient and medieval church, nearly all theologians also wrote on ascetic and spiritual themes at some point or other, and vice-versa. But rarely do we find a world-class ascetic theologian who is also a world-class doctrinal theologian. Maximus is one of the few, and this anthology contains most of his early spiritual writings.
Patti Clement
Another Classic of Western Spirituality purchased for study, but have not had a chance to read from cover to cover yet. Looking forward to reading my many treasures when I complete my Masters.
Michael
Mar 27, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
A dense, masterful work of Orthodox theology. Even making sure I paid careful attention to all I read there is a vast amount I do not, and perhaps never will, understand.
David Mosley
Nov 10, 2015 David Mosley rated it it was amazing
Last Read:
27 December 2012-7 January 2013
Matt Cavedon
Matt Cavedon is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Kenny Scott
Kenny Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Cooper
Cooper rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Brady
Brady marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Eva
Eva rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
C Lucas
C Lucas marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Dan Jiga
Dan Jiga marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Kevin Neese
Kevin Neese rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Spenser Shimek
Spenser Shimek marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Connie Ruth Lupton
Connie Ruth Lupton rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Lu Dongyi
Lu Dongyi marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
nfty
nfty marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Kyriakos
Kyriakos rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Ashton Tassin
Ashton Tassin marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Maximus the Confessor (Greek: Μάξιμος ὁ Ὁμολογητής) also known as Maximus the Theologian and Maximus of Constantinople (c. 580 – 13 August 662) was a Christian monk, theologian, and scholar.

In his early life, Maximus was a civil servant, and an aide to the Byzantine Emperor Heraclius. However, he gave up this life in the political sphere to enter into the monastic life. Maximus had studied diverse
More about Maximus the Confessor...

Classics of Western Spirituality (1 - 10 of 88 books)
  • The Lights of Penitence, the Moral Principles, Lights of Holiness, Essays, Letters and Poems
  • Albert and Thomas: Selected Writings
  • Anchoritic Spirituality: Ancrene Wisse and Associated Works
  • Angela of Foligno : Complete Works (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Cherubinic Wanderer
  • Apocalyptic Spirituality: Treatises and Letters of Lactantius, Adso of Montier-En-Der, Joachim of Fiore, the Franciscan Spirituals, Savonarola
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Works