Start by marking “Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings

Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Maximus is called the Confessor because of his sufferings and labors for the true faith. During the seventh century when the monothelite heresy (belief that Christ had only one will-----a divine one) plagued the Church, Maximus eloquently demonstrated that Christ had both human and divine natures.

Writing in the introduction to this volume Jaroslav Pelikan highlights the r

Published January 1st 1985 by Paulist Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximus the Confessor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximus the Confessor

David Withun
This book contains several works by one of the greatest theologians in the history of Christianity. St. Maximus's approach to theology, in which he married the mystical and doctrinal, has been a major influence on the subsequent development of Christian thought. This book is an edifying pleasure to read and to contemplate throughout. I recommend it to anyone interested in matters of theology.
Alexander
[I am writing this review having read the Four Centuries on Love but little of the rest. I may update the review when I read some of the other selections, particularly the apophatic Chapters on Knoweledge.]

Maximus represents an interesting development and systematiziation of the thought of the Cappadocian Fathers along with other elements of early Christian thought in both west and east, which he combines in creative synthesis. It is possible that he had read Augustine, but there is no evidence
Seth
I am reading the Church's Mystagogy and The Chapters on Knowledge for a paper this semester in my Sacramental Ethics class. Maximus the Confessor's idea of the liturgy all creation as logoi coming back to unity through the tropos of Christ, while still remaining diverse ... and how this plays out whenever the liturgy is celebrated is mind-bogglingly wonderful. Love it.
Ian
Magnificent. In the ancient and medieval church, nearly all theologians also wrote on ascetic and spiritual themes at some point or other, and vice-versa. But rarely do we find a world-class ascetic theologian who is also a world-class doctrinal theologian. Maximus is one of the few, and this anthology contains most of his early spiritual writings.
Debbi
This is not so much a read-through all at once book, but it was nice to use as part of my devotions. I especially enjoyed his 400 Chapters on Love and the Commentary on the Our Father, although his discussion of "Thy Kingdom Come" was a tough plow.
Patti Clement
Another Classic of Western Spirituality purchased for study, but have not had a chance to read from cover to cover yet. Looking forward to reading my many treasures when I complete my Masters.
Michael
A dense, masterful work of Orthodox theology. Even making sure I paid careful attention to all I read there is a vast amount I do not, and perhaps never will, understand.
Sean Stanley
Sean Stanley marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Billy
Billy added it
Feb 14, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Georgy
Georgy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Donovan Symeon
Donovan Symeon is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Alan Dupay
Alan Dupay marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Alisa Zimmerman
Alisa Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Monte
Monte marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Father Peter
Father Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Dustin
Dustin added it
Jun 21, 2014
Oleksandr
Oleksandr marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Classics of Western Spirituality (1 - 10 of 88 books)
  • The Lights of Penitence, the Moral Principles, Lights of Holiness, Essays, Letters and Poems
  • Albert and Thomas: Selected Writings
  • Anchoritic Spirituality: Ancrene Wisse and Associated Works
  • Angela of Foligno : Complete Works (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Cherubinic Wanderer
  • Apocalyptic Spirituality: Treatises and Letters of Lactantius, Adso of Montier-En-Der, Joachim of Fiore, the Franciscan Spirituals, Savonarola
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Works
  • Berulle and the French School: Selected Writings
Maximus the Confessor: Selected Writings Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings Faith Seeking Understanding: Learning and the Catholic Tradition: Selected Papers from the Symposium and Convocation Celebrating the Saint Anselm College Centennial