Start by marking “The Trinity” as Want to Read:
The Trinity

The Trinity

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  21 reviews
New translation of one of Augustine's classics
Published February 1st 2003 by New City Press (first published 416)

To ask other readers questions about The Trinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trinity

Josaías
Clássico é clássico. Até pensei em tirar uma estrela pelas infinitas especulações em busca de uma imagem da trindade no homem, mas é mais provável que foi meu balde que não pôde conter o oceano agostiniano...
Mark
How do I review a book like this? It has taken me some time to work through this book, but I have found it essential to understanding later writers, particularly St. Thomas Aquinas. In its own right, it is a wonderful read and an intellectual journey for those seeking to live in the mystery of the triune God. Also essnetial for those seeking to understand the development of Trinitarian thought.
Jacob Aitken
Augustine's work on the Trinity truly illustrates the definition of the work "classic": a book much discussed but never read, either by his adherents or critics. To be fair, even Augustine's adherents admit his style could be improved--shortening passages and limiting some of the more fanciful exegesis (City of God is notorious in this regard). And as some of his critics point out, if you want a good introduction into Trinitarian thinking, Gregory of Nazianzus (or Basil) is clearer and is writin ...more
Phillip
I had to Skim this book over about a week, so I didn't get the chance to savor it. Given how dense it was, maybe I actually did myself a favor. Still, very moving and profound insights.
Erick
I had read Augustine's City Of God a few years ago and I was impressed with it, although I didn't agree with all of Augustine's points. When I do agree, it is a rather strong agreement. The Trinity (aka De Trinitate) was similar in that when I do agree with Augustine, it is a strong agreement; where I disagreed, it was more a matter of not going with the extremes of his position. For instance, while Augustine is trying to give honor to all three members of the Trinity, his trinitarian theology d ...more
G Walker
When I first got my hands on this translation (published by NCP), I was pretty excited... And I enjoyed it overall. I take issue with Augustine at several points in his theology... his understanding of our Lord's sovereignty, his soteriological anthropology etc... but I now, having read this, I also take issue with his theological method and conclusions regarding the Trinity... in the end, ultimately too Western for me... also at times flirts too heavily with autonomous reason and logic and not ...more
Brian
I like the idea more than the execution.

I am not a theologian, but from what I know--namely from repeated hints by Dr. Leithart--this book has been treated rather unfairly by modern theologians. It is easy without historical background to criticize Augustine for his psychological metaphors of the Trinity, which seem to smack of individualism. However, a closer look will show he is not trying to find the Trinity in all creation, but how three can be one inextricably--acting together.

We also owe t
Charles
Reading for Thought of Augustine of Hippo (XTIANTHE 834).

Goal: One book a day

Aug 24: Book 7 (217-236) [7:1-3, 12 required]
Aug 25: Book 8 (237-257) [8:6-8 required]
Aug 26: Book 9 (258-269) [9:1-8 required]
Aug 27: Book 10 (286-302) [10:17-19 required]
Aug 28: Book 11 (303-321)
A
Robert Gourley
The most challenging of all St Augustine's works I have read to date. The problem is, simply, that he failed in his efforts to describe and understand The Holy Trinity. It's not, however, that he failed to prove its existence - it was never in doubt, that was not the issue.

"I found that no adequate expression followed whatever understanding I came to; and I was only too well aware that my attempt even to understand involved more effort than result." (p. 435)

But still, a great book, and an hono
Jacob
Fascinating how Augustine considers all the previous ways of theorizing the Trinity and then develops an interpretation that harmonizes and includes a little of all of them. The introduction is just as valuable, because it gives a historical development of the doctrine, beginning with the ways the Hebrews thought of God in the Hebrew Bible, and how this becomes Father, Son, Holy Ghost in the NT. A bit technical and repetitive, as Augustine often is, but his interpretation basically created Trini ...more
Chris Kalbach
What a book, this is an amazing work from antiquity. With that said, I do not agree with all of it or much of it. However, Augustine is a great mind prolific writer. If one wants an easy answer for the Trinity, look elsewhere. If one wants a place to start there own journey of wrestling with the Trinity, its a great choice. It may be best to look at the creeds and the heresies that led up to this work. Also, it can be a bit confusing following Augustine, however with patience one will grow a lot ...more
Patrick
Feb 03, 2009 Patrick marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I started reading this book a couple years ago, but ended up putting down after a while. Surprisingly, it's the first Augustine book that didn't really grab my attention. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood. I'll have to pick it up again later sometime.
Shep
A stellar translation of Augustine's De Trinitate with helpful notes by the editor. Well formatted and easier to read than some other translations of this work that I've come across. Augustine himself, of course, is classic.
Bob
The essential work of Christian theology on the Doctrine of the Trinity. Augustine argues that because we are created in God's image, our selves, our minds, are essentially trinitarian.
Tyson Guthrie
A standard of Western trinitarian theology. I am not convinced by the logic of the Filioque, but Augustine is not nearly as prone to modalism as some have presented him to be.
Joe
It may seem like a lot of text to get through to find out in the end that determining how exactly you might understand the Trinity is impossible ... but don't let that stop you.
Glen
A great critical edition of the "philosophical" half of On the Trinity, but an entirely misguided approach to Augustine in the commentary.
Hevel Cava
One of the most thought-proviking and impressive works by Saint Augustin...

Brittany Petruzzi
I should have paid more attention, but what I got out of it was fantastic.
Storm
Feb 10, 2014 Storm added it
Holy shit. I mean, HOLY SHIT. Jesus. You know?
David Russell Mosley
Read on:

31 October 2010
Julia
Julia added it
May 26, 2015
Ivan Bulyko
Ivan Bulyko marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Dan Porter
Dan Porter marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Ryan Grooms
Ryan Grooms marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Kenneth Hammond
Kenneth Hammond marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • On God and Christ: The Five Theological Orations and Two Letters to Cledonius
  • On the Holy Spirit
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Complete Works
  • On the Divine Images
  • Three Treatises
  • On the Unity of Christ
  • Augustine of Hippo: A Biography
  • Evangelical Theology
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • On the Incarnation
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • On Wealth and Poverty
  • The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations
  • Shorter Summa: Saint Thomas's Own Concise Version of His Summa Theologica
6819578
Augustine of Hippo, also known as St. Augustine, St. Austin, was bishop of Hippo Regius (present-day Annaba, Algeria). He was a Latin philosopher and theologian from the Africa Province of the Roman Empire and is generally considered as one of the greatest Christian thinkers of all times. His writings were very influential in the development of Western Christianity. According to his contemporary J ...more
More about Augustine of Hippo...
Confessions (Oxford World's Classics) City of God On Christian Doctrine On Free Choice of the Will The Enchiridion on Faith Hope and Love (Augustine Series 1)

“The reader of these reflections of mine on the Trinity should bear in mind that my pen is on the watch against the sophistries of those who scorn the starting-point of faith, and allow themselves to be deceived through an unseasonable and misguided love of reason.” 1 likes
“There are others whose concept of God, such as it is, ascribes to him the nature and moods of the human spirit, a mistake which ties their arguments about God to distorted and misleading rules of interpretation.” 0 likes