Banco

Banco

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,156 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Here at last is the sensational sequel to "Papillon" - the great story of escape and adventure that took the world by storm. "Banco" continues the adventures of Henri Charriere - nicknamed 'Papillon' - in Venezuela, where he has finally won his freedom after thirteen years of escape and imprisonment. Despite his resolve to become an honest man, Charriere is soon involved i...more
Published 1975 by Livraria Bertrand (first published January 1st 1972)

KOMET
"BANCO" takes up from where "PAPILLON" left off. The author has escaped into Venezuela. He is deeply embittered and finds it difficult at first to readjust to life on the outside. He is set on revenge for he feels that he was framed for a crime he did not commit. As a way of working out his anger, the author becomes involved in an elaborate plan to stage a big robbery so that he can not only enrich himself, but also return to Europe and exact his revenge. While set on his plans for revenge, howe...more
KOMET
Bogdan
The second volume keeps up the trend of the first one: from artistic point of view, it is quite bad, but taking into account the message the book wants to transmit, it is at least acceptable.

After reading opinions on the authenticity of the book as a memoir, I am almost certain that only a little part of the adventures told in it were experienced directly by Charriere. He was probably influenced by many stories the other inmates told and maybe some of them were happening during his time in Guyan...more
Swarupa Donepudi
though not like Papillon, its worth to know the reason behind his penal. Venezuela was portrayed as hero rather than Papillon. " We should be careful in our teens. a slight wrong path can land us in earthly hell" can be the moral of the story.
Alex Akesson
"Only one thing really matters in life and that is never to admit you're beaten and to start up again after every flop." Henri Charrière (Banco - The further adventures of Papillon)
Bernard Cenney
Very moving true account.
Jerome Peterson
Papillion was an excellent movie, but the book was even better! I found the sequel, "The Further Adventures of Papillion" at a local thrift store. It cost a quarter. I can get into Henri Charriere's writing style. It flows easily from one scene to another as though he was sitting with you at a sidewalk French cafe, with an open tab. "Banco", the actually title of the book, picks up where "Papillion"left off. The story starts off in a Venezuelan penal settlement, El Dorado. Here Papillion's adven...more
Ricardo Perez
Un tanto menos interesante que su antecesor "Papillón", Banco se queda un poco corto en historias, tal vez porque Henri ya está libre, porque ya no corre tanto peligro, porque es peor luchar más por escapar del tedio y de lo cotidiano que de la cárcel misma. Saltando de oficio en oficio, encuentra a la mujer de su vida que lo hace desisitir de su venganza, lo cual lo hace más pasivo...y más pobre. Eventos afortunados como su regreso a Francia, el reencuentro con su familia después de casi 30 año...more
Burak
The book has been written just for the sake of making more money by using the fame of the Papillon.
I really didn't enjoy it. Upon reading, I noticed that I was reading history of Venezuela which I don't really need it at all. The events that Mr.Charriere had been through, wasn't so charming or so realistic to me. The style was random as well. For me, it was such a time wasting book.
Muzaffer Bayraktar
Henri Chariére'in Kelebek kürekten kaçtıktan sonra Venezuela'da hayatla mücadelesinden Kelebek kitabını yazmaya kadar olan süreyi anlatan kitabı. Doğal olarak Kelebek kadar heyecanlı değil. Ama okunmaya değer, bir insanın hayatının 13 senesi çalındıktan sonra hayatını kazanmasının ne kadar zor olduğunu çok güzel anlatmış.
Kirk
The plane was flying at a great height in a brilliant sky, way above a carpet of snow-white clouds. It was purity up here, and I thought of my childhood bathed in light. Beneath that white cumulus there were dirty clouds, a grayish, unclean rain—a fine image of the earthly world: that desire for power, that desire to prove to others that you are better than them, that dry, heartless desire you see in the kind of people who do not give a damn if they destroy a human being as long as by doing so t...more
Dinakar
One must definitely read this one after Papillon...
I don't want to get into discussion whether its an auto-biography or a work of fiction, but it is a good read.
A very very interesting line but looses its pace in the middle... comparing the two books, I would rate Papillon better though the writing style in this book is improved and intriguing.
But you feel same refreshing, thrilling experience as you get with papillon.
Over all I loved reading this one...
Matt
Having loved reading Papillon, I couldn't wait to pick this book up. It's told by a great story teller and one full of charisma, I enjoyed reading about Papillon's further romps but found it fell flat compared to the superb Papillon.

Upon reflection it was bound to be that way, how can you match Papillon?

A worthwhile read and one I enjoyed, but whereas I'm sure I'll re-read Papillon in the future, (it's one of my keepers) Banco's in my yard sale box!
Tashfeen
Very well woven and quite interesting. Like Papillon keeps the reader hooked on to the book. The book is a good read but its not as striking as Papillon. Perhaps because of the turn of events in the writers life after his release. Not to say that the quest was not touching but not as thought invoking as the events in his life at the prison. The book is still very much worth reading.
P.J. Sullivan
Papillon is now a free man, having escaped from a French penal colony in South America. But he is haunted by his “unfinished business”: his vow to return to France and get revenge on the people who accused him of murder. This book is about his struggle within himself to resolve his “unfinished business.” Not as intense as his earlier book, but worth reading. Non-fiction.
Ovidiu
Banco is the sequance of Novel: Papillon. Don't read this book if you haven't read the first book, because in the book is life outside the prison cells. The main character, after escaping from Prison, he finds himself in the position to run, and run, and run from the people who chase him. But after a long search he finlaly finds the place to rest. The end of his journey.
Matt
The author has lost none of his compelling style, but his post-prison adventures simply aren't quite as compelling.
Gabriel
"Banco" es un must para quienes nos quedamos "picados" con Papillon y queremos saber qué pasó con el evadido una vez que pisó para siempre la libertad. Honestamente, queda mucho a deber; salvo algunos pasajes interesantes, este segundo (y último) libro del autor no le llega ni a los talones a la obra que lo lanzó a los reflectores. Sólo para fans de Charriere.
Shravan Majithia
This one of the best autobiographies I have read. You feel the transformation the man goes through. You can feel for yourself how Papi felt when he came back to Paris for his revenge to see things change so much. The sequel is as good as the prequel.
Moriah Angeline
I discovered this book this year, and was excited to read it, since I love Papillon so much. It's got the same feel as the first book, but it's not as exciting. It's a great one-time read, but not something I could read over and over again.
Don
I read this one in my early teenaged years. I remember little other than that it wasn't quite as good as its predecessor, Papillon. Still, I liked it. I would probably reread it if I didn't have a backlog of hundreds of books to read.
Derek Baldwin
The further adventures of Papillon, mainly what he did when he finally became free. Not a bad read but hasn't got the immediacy of the first novel where the constant fight for freedom gives a dramatic focus which this text lacks.
Margaret
I was so excited when I found he continued his memoirs. This volume is more farcical and adventurous, but after suffering through his time in the French prison, the author and I both needed some lighthearted fun!
Paul
Not the book that Papillon was, but it has some decent parts. The book lacks in adventure, and isn't terrible enthralling. If you're a fan of Papillon, however, it's worth reading for the closure alone.
Shogun
As I enjoyed Papillion immensely I thought I would be able to say the same for Banco, However it paled in comparison. It relied heavily on the re-occuring theme of revenge and frankly less enjoyable of a read.
Jeanne
J'étais curieuse de savoir ce qui s'était passé après la cavale de Papillon. Je ne suis pas déçue du tout -encore des aventures rocambolesques, le même style efficace et précis, un vrai plaisir à lire.
Catalina
Jan 14, 2008 Catalina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Papillon lovers
Shelves: read-before
This book is the sequel to Papillon. I didn't like it as much as Papillon, but it was still a pleasure to read. It definately made the ending a lot more concrete.
Marcus Ionis
Nice companion piece to the Papillon biography. However not a stand alone book. Recommend those that greatly enjoyed the earlier book. However would pass if you weren't a fan.
Anne
I just had to know what happened after "Papillion!!" This book doesn't compare, although it is interesting to find about how he manages post-prison time.
Pete Dadds
The follow up to Papillion, finishes off where he leaves off after the escape and onto his next adventures, no where near as well known just as good
  • Napoleon
  • To the Ends of the Earth: The Selected Travels
  • Arctic Homestead: The True Story of One Family's Survival and Courage in the Alaskan Wilds
  • Moscow, December 25th, 1991
  • View from the Summit: The Remarkable Memoir by the First Person to Conquer Everest
  • The Girl in the Picture: The Story of Kim Phuc, the Photograph, and the Vietnam War
  • Walking the Amazon: 860 Days. The Impossible Task. The Incredible Journey
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • A Secret History of the IRA
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, books III-IV
  • Black Friday: The True Story Of The Bombay Bomb Blasts
  • Aghora: At the Left Hand of God (Aghora)
  • Landslide
  • Revolution 1989: The Fall of the Soviet Empire
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • Complete Chanakya Neeti
  • The Saturday Supper Club
Henri Charrière was a convicted murderer chiefly known as the author of Papillon, a hugely successful memoir of his incarceration in and escape from a penal colony on French Guiana.
More about Henri Charrière...
Papillon Papillon / Banco Papillon