Start by marking “Dalí” as Want to Read:
Dalí

Dalí (Taschen Basic Art)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Salvador Dali (1904 1989) was one of the century's greatest exhibitionists and eccentrics, with a flair for controversy. The story of his life and work makes for fascinating reading. He was one of the first to apply the insights of psychoanalysis to the art of painting. Full-color reproductions and thorough text provide a quick yet solid introduction to this master.
96 pages
Published 2006 by TASCHEN (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dalí, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dalí

Joan
I saw the Dali exhibit at the Philadelphia art museum about five years ago and really felt a kinship with him. I also felt the same way about Frida Kahlo. Maybe I like Spanish speaker artists better than European or American ones. They seem more cultured.

Anyway, I bought the book at this cute cd store on 17th and Samson a couple weeks ago and liked looking at the pictures and skimming the book about his theories about art and his life story. I thought it was interesting that he looked so young
Clair
This collection is a great taste of Dali. I love the symbolism in his art -- which include major themes of life -- love, death, religion, aging, reality, art, science, etc. Each piece seems to have hidden symbolic treasures upon close inspection. And his imagination ... wow!

Good price for someone interested in checking out Dali.
Diletta
Io e Dalí condividiamo molto il modo in cui si devono vedere correttamente certe cose. Chi dice che Dalí è "assurdo" semplicemente non ha capito un granché. Perché lui in realtà ha dipinto "tutto". Edizione meravigliosa, con delucidazioni chiare e citazioni bellissime.
Apryl Anderson
I'm guessing that the original text was in German, because the run-on translation was so difficult to follow. The photographic reproductions were not the best quality, but the fine details do come through in the small scale. It was not difficult to identify the erotic intent of the assembled works.

Okay, here's an example, from page 28, "Simultaneously hard and soft, it represents the sexual instinct as intellectualized and sublimated by art. The crutch an the monstrous outgrowth of cerebralized
James Lawton
Absolute mad man, yet some what unique and one of a kind, nice mini biography with many pictures of his paintings. Great book as ever from taschen the name in quality for picture books and collections
Taddow
It's Dali- words cannot describe...
Sadia
I'd never forget the wonder I felt when I first saw Dali's 'Persistence of memory' - it opened the realm of surrelism for me. Pure genius I thought and I wanted to explore this new world of dream-like imagination.

In my opinion, no one does surreal better than Dali. I love his work! It's so imaginative, with hints of dark elements often. I'd never tire of this man's work.
Bader
the 3 stars are for the organization of the book in addition to the work of Dali included in. Most of the book's text is quotations of Dali and others so I believe it is not one of the best. However, Dali is one. I am looking forward reading more about his life and work.
Nick
Mar 07, 2008 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists, Graffiti buffs, Drug buffs, anyone
I am a huge fan of Dali's. He is one of the most inspiring artists of all time. I have a theory that he is a genius. He paints surreal images that become real when you study each one. A truely amazing man.
Kirsten Ashley
Aug 23, 2007 Kirsten Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art nerds
It's fucking Dali!
This book in particular has illustrations of the paintings that are referenced, which I found helped illustrate things better when going over the story behind specific details.
James
Jan 29, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
An interesting book that not only covers Dali's familiar work but also shows a couple of less well-known sides to him, those of sculpture and of non-surreal representational art.
Lora
Really good inside in Dali work. I have this book and i always go back to it. I love Dali work and if you are into it or you are not sure, i recommend it.
1001 Acessórios
Aprendi a apreciar uma obra, que não achava nada interessante. após conhecer pormenores do trabalho deste senhor: fiquei fã
Jayson
Weird, Amazing, Repulsive, Insightful, Sometimes Pretty ... He was mad.
Melzanie
sweet pics, minimal yet informative explanation, and of course, great price!
Sloan
You can't beat Dali. Have several prints, and this book on my coffee table.
Mike
This is a must have coffee table book, in order to reference Dali when need be.
Rees
Great detail on what we really want to know about this bizarre character.
Jean-luc
perfectly documented art history of a Genius
Jocelin
Always love art books by Salvador Dali.
Alejandro Ramirez g
Alejandro Ramirez g marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sita
Sita marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Julio Macedo
Julio Macedo marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Bosch
  • Joan Miro: 1893-1983
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • Vermeer, 1632-1675: Veiled Emotions
  • Essential Dali (256 Art Books)
  • Matisse
  • Surrealism
  • Antoni Gaudi, 1852-1926: From Nature to Architecture
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • Hopper
  • Dali
  • Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert
  • Japanese Prints
Gilles Néret (1933 - August 3, 2005) was a French art critic and historian, journalist and curator. He wrote extensively on the history of erotica.

He organized several art retrospectives in Japan and founded the SEIBU museum and the Wildenstein Gallery in Tokyo. He directed art reviews such as L’Oeil and Connaissance des Arts and received the Elie Faure Prize in 1981 for his publications. Since 1
More about Gilles Néret...
Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918 Tamara de Lempicka 1898-1980 (Taschen Basic Art) Michelangelo Henri Matisse (Big Art) Manet (Taschen Basic Art)