Start by marking “Unplugged: My Journey Into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction” as Want to Read:
Unplugged: My Journey Into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction

Unplugged: My Journey Into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction

WARNING: This video game may impair your judgment. It may cause sleep deprivation, alienation of friends and family, weight loss or gain, neglect of one's basic needs as well as the needs of loved ones and/or dependents, and decreased performance on the job. The distinction between fantasy and reality may become blurred. Play at your own risk. Not responsible for suicide ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Health Communications (first published April 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unplugged

Kayla
Dec 12, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok
Inadequacies abound. Decent read, mildly insightful, but I wish it would've touched on positives of gaming in healthy doses. Though, I did recognize some things in myself when I first starting playing CoD.
Brett Mciff
Oct 28, 2011 Brett Mciff rated it it was ok
While this book is about video game addiction, and I do agree that there are addicting elements to gaming, the book is more of a cathartic purge for the author for his many other issues. I can't say that I enjoyed this book, but I could relate to it. What I can't relate to is the personality of the author as described by himself; his issues seem more based in anger and other disorders that may have predisposed him to game addiction rather than the title disorder as the cause of his problems. ...more
Liz Steyer
I acknowledge that video games can become an addiction for some people, but I was slightly disappointed that much of this book didn't seem to have much to do with video game addiction. Van Cleave spends so much time trying to right all the wrongs in his past that a lot of the descriptions I was hoping for got pushed to the side. Van Cleave's story is definitely compelling, but perhaps it should have been called something like, "An Apology to Anyone Who Ever Mattered in My Life: How Video Games ...more
Teeny Katt
Oct 18, 2013 Teeny Katt rated it liked it
If not WoW, this guy would have found another addiction. (I was pretty impressed by his drinking, too.) He warns you that you won't like him, and you don't. Every time you start to feel sorry for him, he gives you another fact about himself, like how he dumped the love of his life because she got diabetes, or how he enjoys the music of Creed and Nickelback.

I'm glad I read this book, though. I can see some parallels with my own use of social networks. I'm happy to say I've never gone on a 24-hour
Neal
Oct 26, 2016 Neal rated it liked it
A good story about addition, illustrating the most memorable definition of addiction: a choice between short term gratification n long term deleterious effect.
Lauren
Aug 31, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very eye-opening. There is language and sex in it for those opposed to reading about such things. It's the authors ideas on what lead him into video game addiction, and how he has worked to get over the addiction. Though it still calls to him and he constantly wants to start playing again. I find the arguments about whether video games themselves are addicting, or if it's a symptom of other mental issues like depression. This man had enough outside 'problems' (can't think of a ...more
Ashley
Nov 19, 2010 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Unplugged is a somewhat disturbing memoir about one person's struggle to overcome his video game addiction. I chose to read this book after my dad brought home a copy from a professional training where Ryan G. Van Cleave was a guest speaker. If you are skeptical about the validity of video game addiction being on par with gambling, food, sex, and exercise addiction, read this book and Van Cleave will change your mind.
Stan
Jul 27, 2010 Stan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up since all of my other books I wanted weren't in the library. It's a nicely-written (though somewhat rambling) peek into the emerging category of addiction concerning video games. Cleave takes a really long time to finally get to actually describing his addictive behavior but the journey is still interesting, anyway.
Stuart Andrie
Jul 31, 2011 Stuart Andrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent insight into the dark world that is so easily snaring those who game. It is an addiction that people don't recognize but that destroys lives just as easily. This book gives excellent advice and practical ways to help. Thanks Ryan.
Kinweng
Kinweng rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Matthew Ciarvella
Matthew Ciarvella rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Nickr
Nickr rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Vincent Truman
Vincent Truman rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Michael Gonzales
Michael Gonzales rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Ran Yamamoto
Ran Yamamoto rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Victor
Victor rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Blake Reichmuth
Blake Reichmuth rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2010
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Carmen
Carmen rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Tschu
Tschu rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Rachel Wagner
I think this is a huge problem in our society and I look forward to reading this book
« previous 1 3 next »