Start by marking “Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)” as Want to Read:
Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)

Days of Air and Darkness (Deverry #8)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  4,145 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Acclaimed author of the dazzling cycle of fantasy novels set in Deverry and the Westlands, Katharine Kerr continues her epic saga of humanity as a shift of power on the astral plane brings change to the world of men...

The city of Cengarn is under siege. Armies both astral and physical are massing for and against the goddess Alshandra, who seeks to prevent the birth of one
Published December 23rd 2009 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Air and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Air and Darkness

Benjamin Thomas
Nov 02, 2013 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
This is the 8th book of the 15 book Deverry series. But since the series is sub-divided into 3 smaller series, it can also be said that this is the 4th and final novel in the middle "Westlands" series.

The novel is aptly named as it is really divided into two main sections, the first in a much lighter "airy" vein and the longer second part that deals with large scale battles and dark doings. The unique aspect of the entire Deverry series is, of course, the reincarnation plots such that characters
Kerry
Oct 08, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, 8, 2016
I got seriously into rereading/rereading these a couple of years ago and then stopped for some reason I don't remember. I probably just got distracted.

The Beyond Reality group here on Facebook has been working their way through a series read of all the Deverry books, so I promised myself I'd pick up this books when they got to it and keep reading with them.

I'm only a few pages in and so far I'm a little hazy on what has gone before, but more came back to me as I read the prologue, so hopefully t
Amanda
With this book Katharine Kerr wraps up the Westlands cycle. It is a fairly decent final book, bringing a number of ongoing stories together and finishing things decently. With that said, it felt a little soulless to me - with her first four books, Kerr made the characters come alive and I had a lot of interest in their doings. Gradually I am losing interest in Rhodry and co.

In this novel we head back in time for a time, and that section was by far the most gripping. We meet a previous incarnatio
Kathi
Oct 22, 2016 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
9/10
While many loose threads are tied up by the end of this book, which also concludes the "Westlands" arc of Kerr's Deverry Cycle, there are more than enough to lead the read into the next arc. Perhaps because I read this book in chunks, it seemed to lack some of the continuity that the other books had. Still, the characters were diverse and nuanced and the relationships were often complex. And my new favorite character is Arzosah!
Megan
Jun 05, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another (mostly) linear story line, with one past regression (but not quite a past lives thing, although I guess you could call it that). I enjoyed the past story because it was sort of like a mystery/detective/chase injected into high fantasy.

I had forgotten, though, how this one ended. And it was definitely a heart-wrencher.
Libbet
Mar 05, 2017 Libbet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 re read
Nick Reys
Jul 08, 2010 Nick Reys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2012
Previously, I’ve compared Katharine Kerr’s Deverry series to a rollercoaster ride, with highs and lows. Continuing that analogy, I’d have to say that we’ve been on a rise in recent books and Days Of Air And Darkness has no intention of bringing us to an early fall.

This is the eight overall and final novel in the Westlands cycle. With the city of Cergarn under a siege and Princess Carra locked up inside its walls, the tension is rising on all fronts. The mad goddess Alshandra is playing her last
Kenny
Feb 23, 2014 Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an excellent book - quite sad and moving, but a fitting end to the Westlands cycle.

Finally we're getting back to the wonderful "Deverry cultural intrigue" that drew me to the series as a whole :) The first main part of the book is another of the flashbacks periods that Ms Kerr writes so well. We go back to Rhodry and Jill while they are walking the road as Silver Daggers. Here we get involved in dark dealings of revenge and murder, with a bit of added dweomer for spice. This was my favo
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Dark-Draco
Jul 24, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
This is the first book by this author that I have read and I really enjoyed it. It was typical fantasy fair, with epic battles, good v evil, magic and dragons...just what I like. It lost marks for a couple of things (hence a 4 instead of a 5) - one, I think the author had forgotton the cardinal rule of writing a series. Someone reading a book from the middle shouldn't have to read the rest - unfortunately, I felt a bit lost for the first few chapters, having to sort out characters and situations ...more
Fantasy Literature
With Days of Air and Darkness / A Time of Justice, Katharine Kerr wraps up THE WESTLANDS CYCLE. It is a fairly decent final book, bringing a number of ongoing stories together and finishing things decently. With that said, it felt a little soulless to me — with her first four books, Kerr made the characters come alive and I had a lot of interest in their doings. Gradually I am losing interest in Rhodry and co.

In this novel we head back in time for a while, and that section was by far the most gr
Ellise
Aug 10, 2016 Ellise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
As books #4 of the Westlands Series: this book was as amazing as any last book of a series can be! it had everything you can ask for in a closure book and the perfect balance of good/bad events to finish it off that it was absolutely 100% perfect!

But as book #8 of the Deverry series and for someone who wants to keep going (hopefully everyone who reads up to book 8 is willing to go all the way) this book is also such as great teaser for what is to come.

Kerr really knows how to write, and no not
Camille
Still trekking along through this series. My problem is that it's so massive and I leave too much time in between books to remember the details. It's harder now to remember which characters have interacted with each other in past lives, despite my handy reincarnation chart (that I highly recommend anyone wanting to read this whole series use). Despite the gaps in my memory, this was another solid book in the series and the action picked up with a big battle. I am sick of Rhodry however - he's a ...more
Tatiana
8th book in the series and last book of the Westlands Cycle, Days of Air and Darkness closes (kind of) the chapter of the Horsekin war developped in the previous novel in apotheosis with a big part of the story being centered on Arzosah the mighty dragoness and Rhodry's relation with her. Be prepared for some delightful scenes and dialogues ;-) Arzosah will make you LOVE dragons if that's not the case already!

This book is at the same time very satisfying and it leaves you wanting more. A great r
Broodingferret
Dec 24, 2007 Broodingferret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a decent conclusion to "scene 2"; it kept up the right amount of tension and wrapped up this segment's main points while still framing the story for its continuation in the next trilogy of books. There were a few points of poor continuity, and while the hiccoughs involve fairly minor details, it's attention to small details that makes for a smooth and believable story, so I was a little irked from time to time. Not irked enough, however, to have my enjoyment seriously diminished, so it' ...more
Johan
Oct 02, 2015 Johan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I had forgotten to add these books to my "read" list on Goodreads!

I really enjoyed the first 2 chapters (8 books) of this looong series. The unique tapestry of souls reborn and indebted to one another is quite unlike any other fantasy I have read, there are also many beautiful stories within the larger/main one.

I never started on the third chapter because I found the premise (a connection to our world) not to my liking. Also, the lateness in the publication made me forget about i
Twentwor
Not quite as enjoyable as the last -- and this series was definitely not quite as gripping as the previous (Daggerspell --> The Dragon Revenant). But I still love Katherine Kerr's writing; I enjoy her take on the dwarves especially (often a sore point for me in fantasy books), and I love the sudden appearance of the gay-adjacent pairing that develops here, reinterpreting one of the suggestive relationships in the previous books. Still a good book, and I look forward to reading the rest of the ...more
Rachael
Jul 11, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well it was good. But damn it she left it open for her next series. Now I have to go read that as well! Such is life (it's actually a good thing).

But Jill, as my poor Jill. I knew it was coming but still, it made me sad. Thought I thought her reuniting with her one true was adorable and well thought out. Except Jill didn't leave behind an apprentice, that worries me :/

I guess it's on to the next series then and off to the library for me.
Loomy Mišurda
Jun 29, 2016 Loomy Mišurda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Macha
May 26, 2012 Macha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 & 1/2 stars. this one was really well-organized, and a lot of stuff happened, including some big character deaths and a lot of plot wrapup. and the reader gets to know some of the more enigmatic characters a whole lot better, and see more of the Grand Design. but i dunno, seemed a bit going-thru-the-motions to me: not sure if it was writer or reader fatigue that was at fault, just saying.
Khronus
Aug 31, 2010 Khronus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following closely after the events that unfolded in the Deverry Series, The westlands cycle continues the story and conflicts but adds new twists as we learn of new and old enemies, and the fate of Rhodry as he draws ever closer to his wyrd. Another master piece of fantasy writing and again one that I was unable to put down until finished.
Angela
Aug 21, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The big war is fought and concluded. Dwarves, elves, men and a dragon against a guardian and horsemen. Lots and lots of action scenes, it feels like all the other books have been leading up to this. Yes, there are still character moments, and I really liked the way the dragon developed. But be warned have hankies at the ready. A good read.
Penelope Green
Jan 08, 2017 Penelope Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entire book following Rhodry but it somehow fell flat - a bit too much exploring the tropes of fantasy (Dwarves and Dragons to go with the Elves she's previously developed very well) but still decent.
Liufen Monreal
Oklart datum. Läste den i högstadiet. Slutade läsa denna serie efter att ha läst den här boken. Tycker att den här boken slutar kast.
Panda99
Aug 15, 2014 Panda99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I just wish the next few were available in audio.
Katherine
Aug 18, 2009 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Deverry Fans
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
Lots of stuff happens in this book, the best book of the Westlands cycle. There's war, love, dragons, death, just about anything you could want in a fantasy novel.
Annie
Sep 27, 2010 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series!
Pioden
Apr 24, 2007 Pioden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bk 8
Melissa
Feb 10, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little hard to get into & jumps a bit from story to story but all in all an entertaining story
Robin
Jun 22, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on the whole series. Some of the books are better than others but still... they all get a 5 star rating from me.
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • Journey Into the Void (Sovereign Stone, #3)
  • The Scrolls of the Ancients (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #3)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)

“Arzosah turned, snapping her huge jaws, roaring again with a” 0 likes