Start by marking “Celtic Mythology” as Want to Read:
Celtic Mythology

Celtic Mythology

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This guide to Celtic mythology explores the Celtic world and its beliefs, describing Celtic archaeology and the insight it gives into the lives of these ancient peoples, whose civilization spread widely through the British Isles and beyond. The book is part of a series on myths and legends.
Published October 1st 1969 by Littlehampton Book Services Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celtic Mythology

dragonhelmuk
Mac Cana is like a 1960s Rhys with a bit more learning. My dissertation adviser suggested him to me as a scholar equally at home in the Welsh and Gaelic traditions, and this is, in some ways, true and quite impressive. With Celtic studies going the way it is, I suppose he and I are dying breeds. He doesn’t do much evaluation of his evidence, but he does present more evidence for various monomythaisms than any other scholar. I get the impression he doesn’t draw any strong conclusions from them at...more
Jessica
For a scholarly book published in the 70's, it's not to eggregious. There are a lot of fallacies and asumptions in the writing and the research, but there's also some great information in there. And even in black and white, the pictures of the ancient arceological finds are gorgeous.

However, it's less a relating of Celtic Mythology and more an attempt to trace the "veracity" of the various Celtic myths and theology from a basis of archeology, Ceaser's observations and folklore. If you're just lo...more
Ian Chapman
A very old fashioned scholarly author by modern standards.
Maya
Aug 14, 2009 Maya rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to get an introduction to Welsh and Irish Mythology
Recommended to Maya by: CR Reading list
Shelves: celtic-mythology
Please check out my review on my Blog

Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana
Mel
This seemed to be a well written overview of Celtic Mythology. My only complaint is that there is no guide regarding any of the Irish words so one is left guessing how to properly pronounce them.
Linda
This is an excellent book full of great references and pictures of archeological finds backing up the information presented. I highly recommend it!
Monica
Feb 10, 2008 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: King D
A good first edition with a nice dust jacket is on ebay for another day http://www.wagglepop.com/bin/auction/...
Jolene
Pretty neat book! I never knew that there was a such thing as Celtic Mythology!!!
Diana
Interesante.
A.
A. added it
Sep 29, 2014
Smallest Tiger
Smallest Tiger is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014
Reem
Reem is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Amanda H.
Amanda H. marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Amy Palmer
Amy Palmer marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 08, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
The Mabinogi Branwen Daughter of Llyr The Cult of the Sacred Centre Branwen Daughter of Llyr: A Study of the Irish Affinities Branwen Daughter of Llŷr